• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anglia Day Ranger validity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi SprinterMan, there's a lot of information on this forum that you may find useful, but if our own search does not produce the answers you are looking for, try using a Google search specifying site:www.railforums.co.uk and you will find most questions have been answered already :)

My view on this remains unchanged, and I refer to NRCoC Condition 10 (as mentioned in a link already provided and also in other ongoing topics I've posted in over the last couple of days on other ticketing matters).

My offer of assistance also remains in the event of a passenger being charged by a TOC refusing to adhere to NRCoC Condition 10. (So far, the only requests for assistance that I have had in respect of passengers being denied travel for the reasons stated in NRCoC Condition 10 but where the TOC did not adhere to NRCoC Condition 10, are regarding Southern Railways and all letters were successful and refunds issued).

SprinterMan

Established Member
This one's come up a few times before.

Best bet is to check with the XC guard at Cambridge or Ely and see if s/he's OK with it...
No, the ticket isn't valid on XC's services.
Hi SprinterMan, there's a lot of information on this forum that you may find useful, but if our own search does not produce the answers you are looking for, try using a Google search specifying site:www.railforums.co.uk and you will find most questions have been answered already :)

My view on this remains unchanged, and I refer to NRCoC Condition 10 (as mentioned in a link already provided and also in other ongoing topics I've posted in over the last couple of days on other ticketing matters).

My offer of assistance also remains in the event of a passenger being charged by a TOC refusing to adhere to NRCoC Condition 10. (So far, the only requests for assistance that I have had in respect of passengers being denied travel for the reasons stated in NRCoC Condition 10 but where the TOC did not adhere to NRCoC Condition 10, are regarding Southern Railways and all letters were successful and refunds issued).

Thank you very much everybody :D

SprinterMan

Established Member
I was chatting to a GA guard yesterday, and finally answered a question as old as time itself.

Anglia Plus Day Rangers are NOT valid on XC service between Ely and CBG.

This is a quirk of the system left over from the split of Central Trains. At Ely, it used to be ONE, WAGN and Central. WAGN was replaced by FCC, ONE was replaced by NXEA and then in turn by GA, but CT was split. It was replaced by EMT and XC. EMT essentially took over the Eastern half of Central (as well as MML) but the SSD-BHM service were transferred to a different franchise. Whether it was due to this, an attempt to reduce overcrowding on very busy XC service, or just sloppy work by National Rail, CT was replaced by EMT as far as the rover is concerend, and XC was an addition that wasn't included.

Sadly (or not), quite a few XC guards are not aware of this, and I was allowed on an XC service later in the day..........

Hope people find this at least a tiny bit interesting...
Adam :D

headshot119

Established Member
Out of interest what made you think it was valid on Cross Country? National rail clearly show it as only valid on East Midlands Trains, First Capital Connect, and Greater Anglia.

The manual also clearly states that it is not valid on XC services.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think the suggestion is that it should be valid on XC because it was valid on those services when they were part of Central.

Eagle

Established Member
There's no semblance of this ticket being valid on XC. The validity is clearly set out on NR's website. It's unusual I'll agree, but not unheard of for a rover or ranger not to be valid on every TOC within its area.

If you want a real mystery, why is the Explore North and Mid Wales Flexirover valid on FGW and Northern when neither serve any route in the area it covers? FGW doesn't even adjoin the area.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was chatting to a GA guard yesterday, and finally answered a question as old as time itself.

Anglia Plus Day Rangers are NOT valid on XC service between Ely and CBG.
No.

Ticket validity is not determined by Guards. It is determined by the NRCoC and what is printed on the ticket. I stand by my original analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.