• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anglia line bashing (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DLA365

In the end, where did you buy your ticket for London to Manningtree/ Walton?

Is there any website where you can find details of commercial bus fares so that you don't have to wait 32 mins for a bus and find it is too expensive?

TAS

DLA365 said:
Is there any website where you can find details of commercial bus fares so that you don't have to wait 32 mins for a bus and find it is too expensive?
I'm informed that only on Traveline Scotland is such a service provided (only for Scotland obviously).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
DLA365 said:
i doubt it as the bus industry seems to thrive on the fact their fares are secret.:rolleyes: :mad: there should be though!

We had tickets to Clacton, rather than Walton. The guard let us go to Walton instead on the outward journey, and the bus was just a way of avoiding doubling-back. If we had got the bus that passed us (by going to a different bus stop) we would have ended up being 2 hours ahead of schedule. If we had just got the train back straight away we would have been 1 hour ahead of schedule. As it was we ended up on time. Looking back I wish I'd realised this! I now understand why we were ahead of schedule, it's because we saved time by doing the stopper before the fast train and avoiding 2 long waits that were in Joy54's plan at Colchester, and also a lot of time allowed for the bus. We didn't realise we were actually on schedule until after Marks Tey though!

As for not getting the bus, well I knew it would have missed a train by just a few minutes so it wasn't saving us time, ultimately. The driver calculated the fare with a pencil and a bit of newspaper. I politely told him the train was cheaper (which was correct, by a significant margin!). LastGroup need to be told and they need to be boycotted, when appropriate. :evil4:

Had we got the first bus, we would have taken it though despite the cost. I wonder how long it would have taken us to figure out we were 2 hours up rather than 1. I guess we'll never know ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like it was an interesting trip altogether! I have to ask, what type of bus were you going to get Sprinter if you lot had got it? Surprised Seth and yorkie went for pizza, surely it would have been cheaper and faster to go to a chip shop instead?

Met Driver

Established Member
WSXFan said:
Sounds like it was an interesting trip altogether! I have to ask, what type of bus were you going to get Sprinter if you lot had got it? Surprised Seth and yorkie went for pizza, surely it would have been cheaper and faster to go to a chip shop instead?

Bearing in mind we had only had about 10 minutes left to catch the train, we didn't have much choice!

The only food outlet near the station was a kebab place. Didn't fancy a kebab, and they had pizzas on the menu, so we went halves on a pizza instead. :toothy7:

Jordy

Established Member
Jonno2055 said:
Yes, and almost missed the train leaving clacton in the process.

:lol::sad:

Lol, thankfully saved by us standing in the doorway stopping the doors from closing ;)

Jordy

(Please note that I did not delay the train, this is meant as a joke)

T

Tom

Though I forgot about the doors with their 10 second timeout close period...

Status
Not open for further replies.