• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anglia Plus Rover June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted a report! I only go on full day trips a couple of times a year but I really want to try and make an effort to write these as it really helps remember the day.

Booked the advances for this trip back in March. I did a similar trip last year in March which in hindsight was a bit too early, not enough daylight hours and too cold! The report from that trip is here

This day nearly didn't happen at all. A shocking error on my part setting my alarm for Wednesday rather than Tuesday meant I woke up at 0550 and I was booked on the 0600 from York to Peterborough! Initially panicked, but realising I'd waste a day off work and about £40 of advance tickets, I decided to go to the station and see what I could do.

I spoke to the guard of the 0700 when it stopped and she immediately agreed to let me travel on the ticket I had. I was fully expecting to at least have to pay an excess so I was really grateful for this. It was fairly full so I stood to Peterborough but a small price to pay for my own stupidity. I was also hoping for a new 91 but that wasn't going to happen as it was the ex-Sunderland service, formed of 43300 & 43257.

At Peterborough a couple of intermodals passed in the 30 mins I was waiting for the Norwich service. 66546 pausing for a driver change whilst 66706 heads through on its way to Felixstowe.

66706 Peterborough 07/06/2016 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I had the same ticket conversation with the guard of the EMT service to Norwich, he was equally happy to let me on, although I had no issue with paying the £10 or so fare to Ely if he had objected. Feeling genuinely lucky and only an hour down on my original plan, I arrived in Norwich at 1037 courtesy of 158799. Observed 37405 & 37419 leaving on the Great Yarmouth service, more of that later. 68004 was stabled in the sidings next to the station, think it's been used on stock moves to and from Bounds Green for tyre turning. 90014 was on the 1130 to Liverpool Street - I worked out this would be my booked 1709 from Ipswich to London later on, which was good as it was one of seven required AGA 90's.

I decided to catch the next Great Yarmouth service, have an hour there and catch the 37's back to Norwich. 153322 took me there.

153322 Norwich 07/06/2016 by Flash_3939, on Flickr

Decided to see a bit of the town so I walked down to the seafront for fish and chips. Found a decent looking place with quite a few people sat outside in the sun, they looked good so I decided to go there. It immediately became obvious there was a major staffing issue, 3 people trying to run a restaurant and a takeaway operation, running around all over the place. To cut a (very) long story short, my basic fish and chips took 20 minutes and instead of eating them I had to dash back to the station with them in the box, making it with 4 minutes to spare...

Still, it was quite nice eating fish and chips being towed/pushed along by a pair of 37's :)

37405 Great Yarmouth 07/06/2016 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

(chips placed safely on a wall to allow that to be taken!)

The half hour trip with 37405 & 37419 was over all too quickly. Though I think the Cumbrian Coast 37's are probably a bit more fun due to the lack of a second loco, the through wired set means they can probably plod along on half power and keep to timings. For those of you still thinking about the chips, I finished them by Cantley!

I then wanted to get a few 90's in the book and visit Diss, a station I really enjoyed visiting last time I was in this area. I love how it's so rural but has an half hourly service to London and Norwich, and not much else. It's also great for photos due to the straight approach in both directions. 90012 (dud) took me there. I sat on a bench in the sun disturbed only by 90011 passing with the ex-Pretendolino set. The lady working at this station retreats to her office between trains and pops out to dispatch them every 15 minutes - can't help thinking it must be a lonely job.

82127 Diss 07/06/2016 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Earlier when I left Norwich I noticed 90007 (winner) was on the following service so after half an hour I went on to Ipswich.

As always, a few Freightliner locos stabled in the yard at Ipswich. 90041, 66503, 66538 and 66592.

90041 & 66503 Ipswich 07/06/2016 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Earlier on I'd also noticed 90034 was on the following service from 90014. Obviously if I let it run to Norwich I'd miss it as my advance was for the service half an hour prior, so I decided to take 90034 from Ipswich back to Diss to at least get it in the book before it goes off hire, which I suspect will be quite soon as 90008 is now back from Crewe meaning all 15 90's are overhauled/repainted.

90034 leaving Diss after a dash over the footbridge:

90034 Diss 07/06/2016 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

90013 (dud from the last rover) took me back to Ipswich, where we we're routed into platform 3 due to a signal failure. I probably scored a relatively rare crossover in the process but I don't record track/moves to that level of detail!

90013 Ipswich 07/06/2016 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

90014 turned up as expected, albeit 11 late due to the signal failure. It also went into platform 3, which meant I also got the crossover back onto the London bound line. Not sure how unusual this is? I was booked in first class for this run, which basically means you get a fixed position seat that is reclined to an angle that is not quite comfortable to lay back, nor is it comfortable to sit up. I probably wouldn't bother again on AGA but I at least claimed a free bottle of water from the buffet.

This was my first trip along this part of the GEML, I quite like the way it phases from very rural and flat to gradually more and more urban as you approach the capital. At Liverpool St I grabbed a Boots meal deal for tea and ate it on the upper concourse. I had plenty of time to get to Kings Cross for the 2100 back to York so I decided to walk the three miles or so as it was a lovely evening, and I'd been sat on my backside most of the day.

Still arrived quite early at Kings Cross, but immediately I was surprised how busy it was for the time of day. Turned out there'd been a major lineside fire near Newark and the whole service had gone down the pan. My train was showing as on time but many around it were cancelled or hugely delayed. There were plenty of trains in the platforms but I think the problem was a lack of crews to get them moving, plus what was moving had to go via Lincoln.

43060 London Kings Cross 07/06/2016 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I went to the Starbucks on Pentonville Road for half an hour and read the Virgin twitter feed to try and suss out the best move. I decided to stick with the 2100 in the end, which until 2055 was showing as on time but no platform, which made me suspicious. Sure enough it then slipped to expected 2110, but then at 2110 it popped up with platform 6 so I made a dash for it over the middle footbridge to try and beat the crowd. I need not have bothered in the end as it was surprisingly quiet. I think the staff had advised everyone to cram onto the Sunderland service which was in platform 0 going nowhere fast but looking incredibly wedged.

After a couple of minutes an announcement came from the guard that they had just arrived from Newcastle and the driver had to take a 20 minute break by law, which people seemed genuinely understanding of apart from one chap who kept sighing and breathing heavily for no apparent reason. We ended up leaving 40 down and back to York 45 down, but considering the major disruption of the day this pretty acceptable to me - plus I get £7.25 back on delay repay! At York I noted the lead power car and then waited for the rear one, before realising it was the same set I started the day on with 43300 & 43257! It was almost midnight to be fair...

Now hearing rumours of a second loco hauled set for AGA using 68's... I might have to make two trips to Anglia this year if that comes off. Can't beat 68's with open windows!

Great day all in all. I'm not fussed about haulage generally but I do like to get locos, so 3 winning 90's was welcome leaving just 90001, 90005, 90008-010 from the AGA ones to get. I still need ten Class 91's as even though both my Virgin trips were booked 91's, circumstances intervened!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kristofferson

Awesome stuff! Genuinely enjoyed the read and great photos :)

My commute usually involves a GA 90-hauled set, and I'm a real fan. I agree with you regarding the 1st class seats - sat in the declassified 1st coach on the Pretendolino set this week, and it's not comfortable to slouch or sit up! I much prefer standard, which is very comfortable.

Glad 08 is back from Crewe as it's one of my last two required for sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a great time was had there! You were very lucky at being let onto those trains in the morning!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good fortune indeed with the being allowed on later trains. Not a bad day out at all, crikey weren't you lucky with making it back to the station at Yarmouth with your chips. Even though I hadn't long had tea at that point, I was almost drooling!

90034 is most required here, looks like I've missed my chance to get it though. The suggestion of 68s in Anglia sounds ridiculously good fun, I want in!

Rather enjoyed the read, so thanks for sharing!

ash39

Established Member
Kristofferson said:
I agree with you regarding the 1st class seats - sat in the declassified 1st coach on the Pretendolino set this week, and it's not comfortable to slouch or sit up! I much prefer standard, which is very comfortable.

I don't mind the ones on the Pretendolino, tried them on the Tour de Yorkshire specials a couple of years back. Really couldn't get on with the AGA ones though!

Techniquest said:
90034 is most required here, looks like I've missed my chance to get it though. The suggestion of 68s in Anglia sounds ridiculously good fun, I want in!

Who knows what will happen with the 90's but DB seem to be spending a bit of money on them at last, a few repaints and new wheelsets recently so you may still get it in one day.

The 68's for AGA was mentioned on another forum by a guy who works for them, so it seems legit but he did say it was only a proposal at this stage.

Thanks for all the comments!

AJM580

Haven't heard the rumour about 68s on short set before. As reported in the latest Rail and elsewhere on this forum, there is a rumour that we may be getting a DBSO for the short set. If it comes off I wonder if we'll see some large logo action here? Glad you enjoyed the day in AGA land. Can also recommend Stowmarket as a place to sit as you get the freight out of Ipswich as well.

noddy1878

Established Member
68s over that way sounds interesting. Means I would have something to go after (maybe!) if they are over there. Good report and some good photos amongst it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
My personal favourite was the 37 at Yarmouth, although I liked the other one at Diss too, a less favoured angle and scene that normally.

ash39

Established Member
Thanks all.

Just noticed the pic of the dogbox at Norwich had disappeared for some reason, I've re-added it. My own personal favourite was probably the 37 at Great Yarmouth just for the classic seaside terminus feel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apologies for shamelessly dragging this back up, but with the 68's looking increasingly likely I've booked another Anglia trip.

It was a bit rushed last time so I've planned a 2 day move to treat myself (30th bday).

Itinerary:

- 0600 YRK-PBO (will make sure to actually catch it this time...) then onto Ely.

- Rover day, hopefully tick off some more 90's and do the Lowestoft line this time. Definitely a few 37 & 68 moves. Will probably jump off at some of the smaller stations for some different photos if the weather is as kind as last time.

- Overnight in Ipswich

- Do the local parkrun the next morning, I'm a keen runner

- Couple of hours at Ipswich station, may do a Manningtree leap to do the classic bridge shot. I meant to do this last time but ran out of time with starting late

- 1209 IPS-LST. Afternoon in London, 1900 KGX-YRK.

Can't wait for this one!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Going to be a great way to mark turning 30! The day I did that, that morning started aboard an overnight Megabus from Glasgow to London, cruising down a very quiet motorway in Scotland with Evanesence playing. Good times and good memories...You have reminded me that I need to start saving and planning for my 40th, that trip will be epic!

Status
Not open for further replies.