• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Angry Passenger Demands

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeveerYeliab

https://twitter.com/DanCare40776590/status/1211669336768823296
@StagecoachSE got the 99 from Bexhill this afternoon, the driver didn't stop for me despite me pressing the button, when he did stop, he then refused to reverse the bus back to the stop, how is this acceptable stagecoach?
StagecoachSE said:
Hi Dan, I am very sorry to hear this has happened please can you tell what time your bus left Bexhill so I can arrange to speak to the the driver for you,
D43E85D9-112C-4818-8293-9C78C82AA192.jpeg
I was browsing the Stagecoach Twitter this afternoon and found this tweet.

I mean this is what bus drivers have to put up with!

I don't know what the reason for the missed stop is, but I can say for certain that it's not going to be deliberate.

Also, why would a passenger demand such an unsafe action? If the driver did stop then the passenger could have just walked the short distance.

Furthermore, @stagecoachse replied saying they would ‘interview’ the driver! I’m sure that the management will of course be on the side of the passenger.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this is taking the absolute mick?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
View attachment 72195
I was browsing the Stagecoach Twitter this afternoon and found this tweet. I mean This is what bus drivers have to put up with! Idk what the reason for the missed stop is but I can say for certain that it’s not going to be deliberate. Also, why would a passenger demand such an unsafe action? If the driver did stop then the passenger could have just walked the short distance.
Furthermore, @stagecoachse replied saying they would ‘interview’ the driver! I’m sure that the management will of course be on the side of the passenger. Is it just me or does anyone else think this is taking the absolute mick?
Yes I do think they are taking the mick but the management may ask why he didn't stop in the first place.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
View attachment 72195
I was browsing the Stagecoach Twitter this afternoon and found this tweet. I mean This is what bus drivers have to put up with! Idk what the reason for the missed stop is but I can say for certain that it’s not going to be deliberate. Also, why would a passenger demand such an unsafe action? If the driver did stop then the passenger could have just walked the short distance.
Furthermore, @stagecoachse replied saying they would ‘interview’ the driver! I’m sure that the management will of course be on the side of the passenger. Is it just me or does anyone else think this is taking the absolute mick?

To be fair to Stagecoach, the "we will interview the driver" line is just a way of moving it on. What else would they do? Tell the passenger to "do one" without investigating? Ignore the tweet?

I'm with you - it won't have been deliberate and the idea of reversing....clearly idiotic. That's backed up by the guy's other tweets - a serial complainer.

Last edited:

RustySpoons

I saw a tweet from an angry passenger to both the bus company and the local MP threatening to report them to OFCOM if they didn't reinstate a service that's being cancelled.

Neither responded, so I'm assuming OFCOM will be getting an angry letter...

jkkne

View attachment 72195

the passengers response is odd...however the drivers error is equally odd (assuming the stop was in service and taking the mick if it wasn’t.....)

JetBlast

I fly quite a lot and see all sorts of rubbish coming out of passengers. One from a few weeks ago:
"I am traveling business class so I shouldn't have to go through security"

jon0844

Veteran Member
I saw a tweet from an angry passenger to both the bus company and the local MP threatening to report them to OFCOM if they didn't reinstate a service that's being cancelled.

Neither responded, so I'm assuming OFCOM will be getting an angry letter...

Maybe they'll reply to comment on his communication skills or lack thereof.

jon0844

Veteran Member
the passengers response is odd...however the drivers error is equally odd (assuming the stop was in service and taking the mick if it wasn’t.....)

Perhaps he pressed the button too late? It's one of those things we'll never know. I guess management can view the CCTV but if the person is a habitual moaner then maybe it won't go much further.

Weemidi135

Not an odd error sometimes you just don’t hear the bell for whatever reason and the light on the dash is sometimes missed because your looking at other things I done it today it happens

It I common for passengers to be day dreaming, press the button just as the bus reaches the stop then ask why the driver didn't stop, you can't safely stop from 30 mph in 2 yards.

As said ,the company will reply to nonsense complaints with a " this will be dealt with under our disciplinary procedure" meaning as it's obvious nonsense it will go in the bin.

plymothian

Not an odd error sometimes you just don’t hear the bell for whatever reason and the light on the dash is sometimes missed because your looking at other things I done it today it happens

Or the passenger didn't press the stop button hard enough.
Or that particular stop button is faulty.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Assuming that the complainant is telling the truth - if they demanded the driver reverse back to the stop I wouldn't be at all surprised if they never pressed the bell to begin with.

PeterC

Established Member
Assuming that the complainant is telling the truth - if they demanded the driver reverse back to the stop I wouldn't be at all surprised if they never pressed the bell to begin with.
If you look up the original tweet and then at the complainants Twitter history you will see that he seems to have "problems" with almost every organisation that he deals with.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If you look up the original tweet and then at the complainants Twitter history you will see that he seems to have "problems" with almost every organisation that he deals with.

That's my point - a serial complainer.

Of course, Stagecoach HAVE to respond to a customer's complaint. They can't just ignore people. However, it's a holding tweet whilst they go and investigate. Could be a fault with the bus, could be a genuine complaint, or just another example of the tweeter not managing to navigate through life...

whoosh

Established Member
I'd have said, "Sure, I'll reverse back - jump out and guide me!"

Mwanesh

Hyacinth Bucket. I know a passenger like that There are some who will moan when you dont lower the bus even if it is level with the stop

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nothing wrong with this exchange, other than the request for the bus to reverse. Clearly that isn't going to happen.

The last bus I took missed my stop; when I walked back I saw that the sign was on the opposite side of the road, and stated the sign applies to both sides of the road. So clearly human error. I didn't say anything to the bus driver or company and just walked back as I had time to kill anyway. I could imagine someone who was less mobile may well have been rather unhappy though.

TrafficEng

Nothing wrong with this exchange, other than the request for the bus to reverse. Clearly that isn't going to happen.

What could make a situation like that more interesting is if the passenger was a wheelchair user and there was no other suitable location in the immediate area where they could get off.

I'm not suggesting that is the case here, but possibly a situation in which a request to reverse would be reasonable (even if still refused).

What could make a situation like that more interesting is if the passenger was a wheelchair user and there was no other suitable location in the immediate area where they could get off.

I'm not suggesting that is the case here, but possibly a situation in which a request to reverse would be reasonable (even if still refused).
If you were in a fairly safe place like a bus station and it was only the case of reversing a bus length I would do it, but not for any significant distance on a road.

High Dyke

Established Member
Or it may be the case that the passenger didn't actually ring the bell, and is now trying to blame the driver... Many a time I noticed a passenger stood beside the cab stating "I wanted that stop!" My reply was to politely apologise for not hearing the bell ring - cue sheepish look from passenger.

philthetube

Established Member
Or possibly bus stop obstructed or closed and driver stopped at nearest safe place

Or it may be the case that the passenger didn't actually ring the bell, and is now trying to blame the driver... Many a time I noticed a passenger stood beside the cab stating "I wanted that stop!" My reply was to politely apologise for not hearing the bell ring - cue sheepish look from passenger.
Are you absolutely sure you hear the stop bell every time? On several occasions I've been carried past my stop having both rung the bell and stood next to the cab.
In my view if you notice someone standing next to the cab perhaps you should assume they're wanting the next stop - I think generally it would be better to ask them in advance (if safe and possible) rather than wait until they raise the matter with you then dispute the method for requesting a stop. By that time the passenger may be rather annoyed and the situation escalates into something unpleasant.
in the late 1970s or early 1980s on a crew operated but front door bus with platform next to the cab (probably a Daimler or Leyland Fleetline), I received a row from the conductor for having the cheek to ring the bell myself when I wanted off. From then onwards I would only ring bells on centre door buses until these were being phased out about 15 years ago. Only then did it become the default method for passengers to ring bells on front door buses, at least around Edinburgh. By that time they were entirely one person operated.
About 5 years ago, First put up notices asking passengers to ring the bell when wanting off and remain seated until the bus came to a stop. I can understand the reasoning behind it but this seems quite unworkable to me, and rather high risk given the chances of a driver not hearing the bell.

175mph

On Moderation
Or possibly bus stop obstructed or closed and driver stopped at nearest safe place
Or the route isn't permitted to stop at a particular stop, like in Hull for example as I've mentioned previously where on certain city centre roads, certain bus stops are designated to certain route numbers only.

Dibuzz

I've been carried past my stop a couple of times.
I usually put it down to the fact I stay seated until it stops so maybe the driver thinks it was a mistake.
Only once have I had to ask them to stop as they seemed to be going past a second stop but they always apologise and ask am I ok to get off where they are.
I think people forget that bus drivers are human.

Drivers have a heck of a lot on their plates and sometimes make mistakes.
For every time I have missed the bell ( and modern buses have a dash light that stays on after the bell has been pushed so if you are fibbing the driver knows) when driving there must have been dozens of times people have rang the bell too late for me to stop or simply forgotten then claimed they had rang it.
Worse still are those who ring the bell then realise they don't want to be off and just sit there. PITA.
An empty bus is a happy bus.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I was on a bus one time where someone decided to ring the bell approx 10 yards before the stop - on a main road as well.
The person then struggled to walk down the bus as the driver slammed on the brakes - it was very funny to watch. :lol:

I've been carried past my stop a couple of times.
I usually put it down to the fact I stay seated until it stops so maybe the driver thinks it was a mistake

Worse still are those who ring the bell then realise they don't want to be off and just sit there.
Two sides of the coin I suppose. Illustrates why I think the advice from First telling everyone to remain seated until the bus has stopped isn't really workable. Ordinarily you might feel it's only polite if someone knows they wrongly rang the bell to say to he driver, but of course if another passenger wants off at the same stop - they're not going to ring it if it's already been done, so the driver should always stop to be certain.

How do you feel about passengers ringing the bell for the next stop very early? Like before the bus has pulled away from the previous stop and while boarding passengers are moving to their seats? This annoys me as a passenger because I feel the driver has a lot of other things to do between stops that they're apt to forget that the bell was pushed.

RustySpoons

How do you feel about passengers ringing the bell for the next stop very early? Like before the bus has pulled away from the previous stop and while boarding passengers are moving to their seats? This annoys me as a passenger because I feel the driver has a lot of other things to do between stops that they're apt to forget that the bell was pushed.

A passenger did this once on a bus I was on. The last departing passenger was just leaving, the last boarding passenger had just taken their ticket and he pressed the bell. The driver closed the doors, the 'Bus Stopping' sign went out and we set off. The passenger who wanted to get off didn't get up, he stayed sat down. Once the bus got past his stop he started shouting that he wanted to get off. The driver apologised and pointed out that the bus stopping sign wasn't lit but the passenger still wasn't happy, despite the driver managing to stop no more than three bus lengths past the bus stop.

No idea why the passenger was so inconvenienced anyway, as once he got off he started walking in the direction the bus was going, so he was nearer to where he wanted to be anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.