Angry trainspotter 'threatens to break disabled teen's legs' in Walsall

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Covshire1, 5 Dec 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trash80

trash80 Established Member

The Angry Trainspotter, sounds like it could be a movie

Loved the sequel: The Angry Trainspotter 2: Cross-off in Crewe

2. Gems

Gems Member

That is very sad indeed. It doesn't matter what lead up to it, there is no excuse for that whatsoever. I think it is fair to point out that just because somebody is a trainspotter does not make them nice people. We have had cases where staff have been threatened for stopping people going in places they shouldn't for the perfect shot.

3. Gems

Gems Member

Congratulations. I think that is possibly the most crass statement I have read on here so far.

4. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

This thread is simply demonstrating my previous post about a general lack of autism awareness in the population in general.

(Worse in fact, people *think* they get it, when in reality they're wayyyy wide of the mark)

5. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Is that the Romcom where Tom Crewes played Red Pen and Jennifer Anniesland was Ann Orak?

Sorry. Off topic. Not serious. Just starting to succomb to the Christmas spirit. Won't do it again.

6. robert7111a

robert7111a Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    Whilst I agree autism awareness is lacking in the general population; it isn't always obvious to the layperson - especially in the "heat of the moment". But it can also be difficult to reason with an angry person. Although we don't know what happened after the filiming, the victim is probably very lucky not to have been injured or have his phone stolen

7. Edders23

Edders23 Member

yep and in some cases people lose their jobs or go to prison over it. i think there was a post earlier mentioned that this individual is known as a troll. I often find Autistic people can grow up as attention seeking spoiled brats because of the way they are brought up with excuses replacing real effort to grow them into a well rounded human being

8. Gems

Gems Member

Do you not think that perhaps he carried on filming despite the obvious threat because he struggles to see emotions and relate them to the situation before him. Autism is a very complex learning disability that affects all sufferers in different ways.

9. Gems

Gems Member

Oh, I stand corrected from my earlier post. I have read a more crass statement.

10. robert7111a

I am very autism-aware thank you and every individual is different (hence the term "spectrum").

Indeed, he may struggle to see (and process) emotions but he should have walked away. He could have been seriously injured

11. Edders23

Edders23 Member

Directed by Woodbridge Allen

cinematography by camera diaz

12. Edders23

Edders23 Member

that is based on a LOT of personal experience

13. Gems

Gems Member

Is it really.

14. robert7111a

I don't think this is a fair comment

15. shredder1

shredder1 Established Member

Trainspotters from Hell, a Fist Full of Trainspotters, the Good the Bad and the Trainspotters, For a Few Trainspotters More, Preditor meets the Trainspotter, Alien Trainspotters from the Planet Thrash

Looking forward to some great movies

16. bramling

bramling Established Member

I can understand how people could come to the conclusion that some autistic people are self-centred or struggle when they don’t get their own way. However as ever I suspect things are a little more complex than meets the eye - as it seems to be the case that it’s not necessarily selfishness but seeing a given situation in a rigid and inflexible way where one way has to be *the right way* of doing something. Whilst being sympathetic to the situation of an autistic person, one must also be sympathetic to those who are on the receiving end of such behaviour. Greater awareness might help, but naturally one can’t readily spot an autistic person so conflicts are sadly inevitable from time to time.

17. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    while poorly expressed the poster you both challenge is correct. Being autistic is not a free pass to behave how you like and that needs to be acknowledged. I am sympathetic to the challenges faced by autistic people but they do have to learn how to function in the real world.

18. robert7111a

If he was my son, I would do a little "theory of mind" education and do a social story with him regarding this incident

19. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Member

One for "Danny Dyer's 'Britain's Hardest Trainspotters" maybe? ;)

Weird Things You See People Do on the Railway

20. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Trainspotters.

A Guy Ritchie film coming to cinemas soon...

21. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I understand incidents involving spotters arguing with each other over a spot for taking a photograph/video (or over people talking or making a sound when videoing) are not that uncommon.

It's also very probable that in some cases (perhaps including this one; we don't know) both individuals are autistic.

I don't doubt that does happen in some cases but you must be unlucky if you "often" find it.

One of the jobs I do involves supervision of young people. Obviously some of them are going to be autistic so I have some experience in this area. But of those who are on the autistic spectrum, most are not "attention seeking spoiled brats" in my experience.

22. markindurham

markindurham Member

Nobody has picked up on the Cerebellar Ataxia - that is a terrible, terrible illness, especially in young people, and it can really mess people up. I have a close relative who this time 4 years ago went from a 'work hard, play hard, live life to the full' life to being wheelchair bound, with poor motor skills, a bad speech impediment and totally dependent on others for just about everything, when struck down by it, at the age of 34. It's rare, nobody as yet knows why it happens, but it's real. It affects different victims in different ways, but it is a life changer. There's no cure either.

23. robert7111a

I think this is a bit OTT in this situation. It seems clear (to me) that the victim has good fine motor control (and the requisite intelligence) if he can film using a mobile phone. And it doesn't appear that the victim is falling about the place

24. aylesbury

aylesbury On Moderation

I come across quite a few children who have autisim when I visit schools to talk about the RNLI ,usaualy the teacher will tell me if a child has a problem and I take this into account how I do my talk.These people are usually very intelligent and good to talk with ,we must make allowances for all people who need help and care .

25. Mitchell Hurd

Mitchell Hurd Member

I'm autistic myself and even I know what's right and what's wrong!

If I wasn't allowed to photo trains and the rear of trains going out appropriately, never in my life would I make threats. I'd be very disappointed yes but nothing like and nowhere near what this person did!

Looking at this post will encourage me to take a pen and paper with me and writethe train numbers down incase staff don't allow me to photograph trains etc.

26. mpthomson

mpthomson Member

People can stand where they choose to on a station platform.....

27. mpthomson

mpthomson Member

That is an epically stupid statement...…..

28. J-Rod

J-Rod Member

"TWO ANORAKS HAVE NON-ARGUMENT ON PLATFORM"

29. fulmar

fulmar Member

Whilst autism may be accompanied by a learning disability, autism itself is not a learning disability. Many autistic people do not have such a disability.

30. driver_m

driver_m Established Member

Not impressed with some of the insults posted on this forum and worse, some of the views about Autism on here . One or two people should be ashamed of themselves. Autism isn't some disease or illness that you can catch, it's a way of thinking and interacting that doesn't follow general society norms, but that doesn't make it wrong or bad .I'd bet more of us are on the spectrum than many of us would believe.

End of the day, people have zero right to demand someone moves off a part of a platform just so they can get a better view. I've had to move a couple of spotters in the past because they've been a danger to themselves with either mine or another drivers train, but never in such a way to belittle them like this idiot. Why can't people just ask if they wouldn't mind allowing them to take a pic and just stand back a moment. Not demand a never encroached sightline.

Finally, I know one or two spotters that I've come across at Crewe, and I've all the time in the world for them, so don't assume either that we want nothing to do with autistic people .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.