• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Animals on the line stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some time in the 1960's, my father had to travel from Sellafield to London for some conference, and caught a through train that started (I think) from Workington. Accordig to him, they took the steam loco off at Carnforth and attached a diesel (a 40 or 47) then got going. Somewhere near Garstang, my Dad heard a loud "WHUMPH" and the train slowed down to a crawl to Preston. The Guard (when asked by another passenger what the noise was) said that the train had hit a cow! As Dad was travelling 1st Class, he was near the front of the train, so he got out to have a look. The front of the loco was red with blood, and there were entrails hanging off the buffers! They took the affected loco off and replaced it with something else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.