• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
We've had a few threads about various television series, most recently The Simpsons, but apart from the general Children's Television thread from months ago we've never had anything that intentionally caters for more than one programme - and you would have to be quite literally stupid to have not noticed the growing popularity of certain programming (etc) on this forum.

Therefore, I would like to start a thread on anime. For those who don't know, it is a type of animation popular among (and popularised by) Far Eastern studios, predominantly but not exclusively Japan, which typically exaggerates certain details (human bodies being the obvious example). Children-orientated series are well-known, with Pokémon being the obvious example, but adult series exist as well - and tend to get away with more than a Western series typically might. However, some of them are quite difficult to understand, courtesy of their highly bizarre plots.

So who here will own up to ever intentionally watching anime (of any kind)? I have been known to watch three separate series, one of which is pretty obvious; the other two are Yu-Gi-Oh! (and its excellent parody Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series [some content is NSFW!]) and Sailor Moon. On the other hand, for some unknown reason I never really liked the series that is effectively a clone of Pokémon, in spite of being older than Pokémon (go figure :lol:), Digimon.

Who wants to be next? :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
I watch all the Mobile Suit Gundam series.

Currently watching Gundam Age although I have downloaded the Gundam Unicorn episodes lately which are well worth watching.

I did watch Pokemon about 10 years ago.

Badger

I don't like it because the fans are amazingly annoying (apparently what I watch isn't anime, because it's not in Japanese; and Japanese anime ceases to be anime when subtitles are attached). I am not going to sit there and watch a cartoon in another language just so I can call it anime. But that's just my friends, I know that's not the actual definition of anime.

As a kid I grew up watching Pokemon and Digimon (liked both), stopped Pokemon after they found the G.S ball (after they returned it actually, I think), and stopped Digimon after they unmasked the Digimon Emperor. I dipped in and out of various others, such as Monster Rancher and Yugioh, but never really got into them.

I would probably watch Digimon or Pokemon again.

I don't like that there's a racist distinction between what is anime and what is cartoons out there (not saying that's the official definition, but it's what my friends at least use, if it's not japanese it's not anime). If Family Guy was made in Japan they'd consider it anime.. But cartoon wise I watch American Dad, but dislike Family Guy; I watch Futurama and the Simpsons (but prefer Futurama immensely).

I saw the Final Fantasy VII anime but fan-dubbed and the guy's voice was really annoying so I don't remember much about it. My friends watched it in Japanese so... they don't either!

Sorry, I'm ranting. In short, Pokemon and Digimon.

Ivo

Established Member
I don't like it because the fans are amazingly annoying (apparently what I watch isn't anime, because it's not in Japanese; and Japanese anime ceases to be anime when subtitles are attached). I am not going to sit there and watch a cartoon in another language just so I can call it anime. But that's just my friends, I know that's not the actual definition of anime.

Anime is the style of animation. It would still be anime even if a British or American firm produced it, provided it uses the same techniques. On the other hand, a Japanese cartoon made using western techniques (say if Disney was actually Japanese) would not be anime.

The Japanese anime is almost invariably the canon version, and subtitled version are subbed versions but still true to the original. Dubbed versions, i.e. what we are used to, are the problems - and if you want an idea of how poor some dubs can be, the best example I know of is this episode of Sailor Moon. The Japanese version is outstanding; to call the dub "poor" would be to lavish it with praise...

P.S.: The GS Ball was last seen 12 seasons ago...!

duffman82

I watch all the Mobile Suit Gundam series.

Currently watching Gundam Age although I have downloaded the Gundam Unicorn episodes lately which are well worth watching.

What did you think of Asemu as a pirate, His AGE-2 dark hound is pretty excellent suit. Unicorn is pretty amazing storytelling the cameos of all the old MS is quite the homage to Zeta, 0079 etc.

I watch mostly Gundam, All of UC, Seed (Not destiny) 00 and currently AGE. I also watch the occasional Bleach, Naruto but mostly read the manga for those.

Giugiaro

Anime is a short form of Animation. The word was associated with far east animations because of the wide use of the word by the Japanese.

Until now I thought that Astro Boy was an American production, because the style of the main character resembles old days Walt Disney's or Warner Bros. style!

It' easier to make the difference between Manga Comics and Western Comics, since each one has its respective rules.

In Portugal, little children call both American cartoons and Japanese anime "animated drawings" (desenhos animados), but 3D animations we call them all animations (animações).

I'm not the better one to point out what makes the difference. With globalization it can very well start to appear anime-looking series in other places rather than Asia. Who knows if Sadie and the Star Squadron and Mind the Gap can become the first examples themselves in the UK?

Maybe because I'm from a non-English speaking country, this might be just irrelevant for you, but, in my opinion, it doesn't matter if the anime series is a RAW, SUB or DUB, they're all Anime, it only changes voice actors, unless the Americans try to do the same thing as in CardCaptors. O.O

Putting that aside, I've seen a lot of things since I was little:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Giacomo-Giugiaro

All the information you need about my anime CV.

And please help me out with Tram Link! http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67084

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
I love Cowboy Bebop, Urusei Yatsura & Martian Successor Nadesico. :)

The original Japanese Kirby of the Stars is very good too, not so keen on the US Dub.

I'm also intrigued by the Evangelion Rebuild. The original was a headf**k!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I love Cowboy Bebop, Urusei Yatsura & Martian Successor Nadesico. :)

The original Japanese Kirby of the Stars is very good too, not so keen on the US Dub.

I'm also intrigued by the Evangelion Rebuild. The original was a headf**k!

I used to have quite a thing for Princess Lum. I'm a fan of Ranma ½ - certainly not what we get as early evening viewing (before I saw it someone described it to me as "the Japanese equivalent of Neighbours") and pretty much anythnig else by Rumiko Takahashi.

Ivo

Established Member
I'm not the better one to point out what makes the difference. With globalization it can very well start to appear anime-looking series in other places rather than Asia. Who knows if Sadie and the Star Squadron and Mind the Gap can become the first examples themselves in the UK?

[insert smug face here]

anthony263

Established Member
What did you think of Asemu as a pirate, His AGE-2 dark hound is pretty excellent suit. Unicorn is pretty amazing storytelling the cameos of all the old MS is quite the homage to Zeta, 0079 etc.

I watch mostly Gundam, All of UC, Seed (Not destiny) 00 and currently AGE. I also watch the occasional Bleach, Naruto but mostly read the manga for those.

Certainly I enjoyed it and look forward to seing Asemu in action over the next few episodes and the appearance of the vagan Gundam.

Age has proved to be a very good series despite the bad press it got from fans after the first trailer was released for it.

Giugiaro

image-15204-gallery-aqkj.jpg

That's the one?

Ivo

Established Member
Putting that aside, I've seen a lot of things since I was little:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Giacomo-Giugiaro

All the information you need about my anime CV.

If that's anything to go by you've stopped watching Best Wishes after only 41 episodes - even before the Subway saga (yes non-Pokémon fans, you read that right - there's a Subway saga, complete with its own resident main character railfan!). Tsk tsk ;)

How could I have possibly forgotten Kirby? :cry:

I absolutely loved the dub ♥ In fact, I'm going to watch it on YouTube - right here and now! :p

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Does Johnny Bravo count?

Though I prefer watching the Manga stuff - though avent seen any for a while now due to being quite under the thumb when it comes to what I can or cannot watch on the telly ;)

duffman82

Certainly I enjoyed it and look forward to seing Asemu in action over the next few episodes and the appearance of the vagan Gundam.

Age has proved to be a very good series despite the bad press it got from fans after the first trailer was released for it.

Yeah its like 0079, Zeta and ZZ put into on series which is an interesting stance.

anthony263

Established Member
Yeah its like 0079, Zeta and ZZ put into on series which is an interesting stance.

It seems they are paying homage to the original Gundam Series.

I dont really like Gundam ZZ since the 1st few episodes were a bit terrible and there is no english dubbed version (Why?) when you have Gundam Zeta & Chars counterattack both available in english dub.

I would like to see Crossbone Gundam animated like they have done with Gundam Unicorn.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I do like the films in this style, such as "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Spirited Away". As for TV, would you include "Gigantor The Space Age Robot" in this? I have always wondered if it was an early precursor. It certainly had all the irritating aspects of later series. I used to watch in amused horror at the trashiness of it all
[Just looked it up on Wiki, and it seems I am right]

Giugiaro

If that's anything to go by you've stopped watching Best Wishes after only 41 episodes. Tsk tsk ;)

Yes, I did, and I did because Ash turned to be even more childish and basic than before. It seems that The Pokémon Company is somewhat afraid of making Ash a little bit more mature and let him have a more flexible personality and story. Pokémon is starting to be more like a 6-7 year old cartoon.
I preferred more watching Card Captor Sakura at that moment. (In Japanese, because, like I said before and I'll explain now, the Americans twinkled almost every aspect of the story, including character and geographic names, consequently cutting off most of harmony the original story had...), even thought it is a girls anime. By the time it aired in Portugal for the first time, we watched everything with great pleasure, boys and girls, before that thing called "Morangos com Açúcar" appeared with that horrible affirmation of "Geração Rebelde" -.-

And I watched the Subway saga when it aired anyway. I still felt the same at that time.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
I do like the films in this style, such as "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Spirited Away". As for TV, would you include "Gigantor The Space Age Robot" in this? I have always wondered if it was an early precursor. It certainly had all the irritating aspects of later series. I used to watch in amused horror at the trashiness of it all
[Just looked it up on Wiki, and it seems I am right]

Gigantor is a very old character, he appeared in the 1960s and was one of the first Mecha to appear.

Kobe has a statue of him :D

[youtube]TA6nmhQPcvc[/youtube]

gnolife

Established Member
I do like the films in this style, such as "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Spirited Away"

I didn't particularly like Howl, but that comes from it not following the book version as closely as I would have liked. I do really like the rest of Miyazaki's work that I've seen (mainly his work with Ghibli, plus the earlier Lupin III stuff), to the point that Laputa is probably my favorite film

NY Yankee

We've had a few threads about various television series, most recently The Simpsons, but apart from the general Children's Television thread from months ago we've never had anything that intentionally caters for more than one programme - and you would have to be quite literally stupid to have not noticed the growing popularity of certain programming (etc) on this forum.

Therefore, I would like to start a thread on anime. For those who don't know, it is a type of animation popular among (and popularised by) Far Eastern studios, predominantly but not exclusively Japan, which typically exaggerates certain details (human bodies being the obvious example). Children-orientated series are well-known, with Pokémon being the obvious example, but adult series exist as well - and tend to get away with more than a Western series typically might. However, some of them are quite difficult to understand, courtesy of their highly bizarre plots.

So who here will own up to ever intentionally watching anime (of any kind)? I have been known to watch three separate series, one of which is pretty obvious; the other two are Yu-Gi-Oh! (and its excellent parody Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series [some content is NSFW!]) and Sailor Moon. On the other hand, for some unknown reason I never really liked the series that is effectively a clone of Pokémon, in spite of being older than Pokémon (go figure :lol:), Digimon.

Who wants to be next? :p

I used to watch Dragon Ball Z. My favorite character was Vegeta.

Ivo

Established Member
Yes, I did, and I did because Ash turned to be even more childish and basic than before. It seems that The Pokémon Company is somewhat afraid of making Ash a little bit more mature and let him have a more flexible personality and story. Pokémon is starting to be more like a 6-7 year old cartoon.

... ... ...

And I watched the Subway saga when it aired anyway. I still felt the same at that time.

We always used to have a case wherein Ash etc were at one level (especially in the Sinnoh Saga), and Team Rocket were at a different (i.e. lower) level. They've now reversed the roles, leaving a situation in which the person who has been training for 13 seasons is suddenly a complete rookie come Season 14, although Iris calling Ash "a little kid" when it usually isn't justified doesn't help.

By this stage Ash should be a complete expert, besides obviously not knowing Unova Pokémon, and he does seem to be approaching that level as far as training goes. But otherwise, he almost is an amateur :(

In my opinion the series was always best with Ash, Brock and Misty, and the best part of the entire series was the Johto League (i.e. leading to Misty's departure). Which is a point - it's airing on the website over the next few weeks (UK/US - don't worry, you can watch them anywhere) :p

Giugiaro

Gigantor is a very old character, he appeared in the 1960s and was one of the first Mecha to appear.

Kobe has a statue of him :D

Is that the real scale of the Mecha?

That thing is "ginormous"!!! :shock:
And I thought "The Galahad" Knightmare Frame was itself gigantic... :?

We always used to have a case wherein Ash etc were at one level (especially in the Sinnoh Saga), and Team Rocket were at a different (i.e. lower) level.

Actually, I like the way how Team Rocket became much serious and flee by they're own means. That "Blasting off again" gag was already too much of a annoyance, it lost the comedic side it had before.

And you're right, Ash is almost completely amateur, even more than when he started the 1rst season, just for new players/viewers of Pokémon to catch on with the universe. It would have made sense if we had a new main character and Ash entered more in the middle of the series has a new, more expert companion, even if the series would be targeted by bad press and furious fans. It would have been better that way.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
I must be sad. It's barely 24 hours after starrymarkb unwittingly pointed me in the direction of Kirby - and I've now seen 16 episodes of it! Doesn't compare to Sailor Moon though - I saw 72 episodes in about that many hours :shock:

Actually, I like the way how Team Rocket became much serious and flee by they're own means. That "Blasting off again" gag was already too much of a annoyance, it lost the comedic side it had before.

I've grown to like it that way too of late. At first I really missed the comic trio, but the seriousness they've injected into the series has been a lifeline for the series. I have previously claimed that this will be the last series - based on how Best Wishes is a completed revamp, that seems unlikely :|

And you're right, Ash is almost completely amateur, even more than when he started the 1rst season, just for new players/viewers of Pokémon to catch on with the universe. It would have made sense if we had a new main character and Ash entered more in the middle of the series has a new, more expert companion, even if the series would be targeted by bad press and furious fans. It would have been better that way.

Maybe Ash should have accepted the offer to become a Frontier Brain. He could give out something like a "Novel Symbol" - one that represents spontaneous and innovative tactics and ideas.

As for a new character? I think Barry would have been a good choice. Even if he was a Rival and not a player character.

ert47

I loved the fact he wanted to surpass Goku so much yet never did lol

also my anime list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/duffman82

I tried to watch through Soul Eater, while it was awesome, I picked up the manga halfway through and noticed how much of a tangent the anime was on. Stopped around episode 30, heard mixed things about what happened later.

Big animes for me last year were Tiger & Bunny and Blue Exorcist! Cannot recommend them enough!

As for Pokémon, got a bit bored halfway through the latter part of Johto and missed the middle part of Hoenn completely. When 4Kids lost the dubbing rights and it went to Pokémon Inc, and the theme tunes changed (for the worse), I totally gave up on the series, but still play the games.

Like Cats? Like Vampires? Like Vampire Cats? Give Nyanpire a go!! :lol:

Giugiaro

Anyway, about the DUB's, I founded one Dubbed series that I liked a lot. The first season of Darker than Black was simply adorable to me and the characters from MI6, specially Jack Simon (November 11), being dubbed in British accent... just a wonderful touch! I just liked that the Russian characters in season 2 would had they're own accent, but it ended up having the normal american accent after all.

Just watch this scene, that's what makes Jack Simon my favourite character of DTB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yU5XV_N5qU

Status
Not open for further replies.