• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Announcement Hostility

Status
Not open for further replies.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
LowLevel's points about the complexity of the ticketing system are spot-on. Starting from scratch, the railways would no way in hell have the system that's used today. It's suboptimal for all parties, from all points of view, for all purposes - there are next to no advantages to it, but there are too many parties involved for a much-needed proper reform to go ahead any time soon. In the meantime, it saves many train-ticket enthusiasts including myself considerable amounts of money; but it's not at all a sustainable situation and I think almost everyone here, even Fares Experts and prolific (legal) loophole abusers, would rather the country had a system that didn't cause people to choose to drive to their destination, simply because they are confused about which train tickets to buy for their journey. That is madness.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
In the meantime, it saves many train-ticket enthusiasts including myself considerable amounts of money; but it's not at all a sustainable situation and I think almost everyone here, even Fares Experts and prolific (legal) loophole abusers, would rather the country had a system that didn't cause people to choose to drive to their destination, simply because they are confused about which train tickets to buy for their journey. That is madness.

Oh this is without a doubt. I gain a from the status quo over any reform - but I would still rather the reform to come up with something fair, easy to understand and genuinely simple because that is what's best for the railway, and what's best for the people who need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think this thread has run its course. I think it is safe to say that we can agree that whether something comes across as hostile will depend on the individual who hears it.

If anyone wishes to continue discussing the complexities of the fares system, please do so on a separate thread.

If there was to be a criticism of railforums, then I guess it would be that the number and the self-confidence of these 'lovers of complexity' has been enhanced by this forum and its activities.

Just to clarify, I can state categorically that while the complexity of the fares system is a hot topic at many forum activities, the forum (including all forum staff) are strictly against "feigning withering surprise on the odd occasion they are challenged" by anyone, or use their tickets in a way contrary to the terms and conditions of these tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.