• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Announcing UKRailCharters - For tour times and routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have noticed there currently isnt one website with rail tour and
charter times on it for Diesel and Electric tours like there is for
steam tours (http://uksteam.info) . The site is currently very basic.
It has a few of this years remaining tours. Gen and information on
future tours will be much appreciated. The site address is
http://railtours.mjspencer.com although I hope to have a proper domain
in the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

We have pretty much all the gen for Diesel and Electric railtours on the railgen system posted.

Guinness

Established Member
But that means having to crawl through all the pages. I think that site is a pretty good idea. :)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cheers Chaz.

The idea of the site is to have timings etc all on one website.

Simming

Great Idea!

Isn't There a site already that posts times of every tour thats going off at the weekend? maybe you could get in with them, so you could also specify what the stock, haulage, and Train Operator is.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Isn't There a site already that posts times of every tour thats going off at the weekend?

The only site I am aware of is http://uksteam.info but that is only for steam tours. Do you know of any others?

Simming

Ive been told about something before, and some of the timings off that site have been posted in gen before. although what the url is I dont know. For all I know it could be another Yahoo Group.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thats a good site for times a few days in advance. I am aiming to have tours listed in advance although not neccessarily with times

Simming

Ah right, it get you. so you'll trawl through the Railtour Companies sites, and get info like traction, to from, etc?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah and then add times once they have been posted to various gen groups and websites etc

metrocammel

A very good system, but highly unlilkely is if TOPS could be in the "public domain", and was available on the internet, that would be the "enthusiasts dream", no need for gen sites again, and no real chance of "dodgy gen".

Keep your fingers crossed!

James.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Having access to TOPS and TRUST would be great

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
very good, although i see there is a question mark by the sat 19th november tour, the Victoria - Grain - Victoria by HRT, is expected to be a 67

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks. I will ammend the page

joy54.gen

The idea is very good as the market is out there for it but there are some problems that may need to be ironed out for instance if you have a tour listed down there and the timings don't get posted to a gen group what happens then, maybe an idea would be to pay for the timing sheets, I think Pathfinder do them, Also maybe the title should be shanged to UK Diesel and Electric tour as charters implies steam as well, which is already has a website

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This site is a very good idea, as it's easy to navigate and railtours can be viewed straight away in one place. Really hope you can keep it updated, as it could become a very well used and sought after resource.

Jordy

Established Member
It is a very good idea, please keep us updated on its progress, I think it could potentially be a great success.

Jordy

andrewmay

This is a good idea Matt as there isn't a site out there that does this specifically for diesel/electric hauled specials. I remember there used to be a site for it but it hasn't been updated for many months so it's not much use. Keep up the work on it.

Cheers,
Andrew

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes this is a good idea, I've thought that myself, but you will find it difficult to update, particularly with the nature of the railtour industry.

A searchable, database-driven site would be fantastic, if that could be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.