• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying projector lady arrives at King's Cross tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Seems those projectors have been sold to London Underground now, but at least she says lifts and not elevators!

https://youtu.be/CWNkTpSZYR4

[youtube]CWNkTpSZYR4[/youtube]

Hope we won't find out that they've spent millions on these for all stations...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Maybe that's what GTR will use for OBS in the future :lol:

Seriously though that is annoying and that box that surrounds it will slightly reduce capacity in the rush hour.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Seems those projectors have been sold to London Underground now, but at least she says lifts and not elevators!

https://youtu.be/CWNkTpSZYR4

[youtube]CWNkTpSZYR4[/youtube]

Hope we won't find out that they've spent millions on these for all stations...

Been in place for nearly six months now - there's this one and another at the bottom of the Piccadilly line escalators at the opposite end of the platforms.

Also in place at Waterloo, Holborn and, I believe, London Bridge, amongst others. All part of the ongoing 'Escalator Trials' that include the Holborn 'stand on both sides' escalator.

And yes, they are as irritating as they seem when you're stood by them for four hours. £15k well spent...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seriously though that is annoying and that box that surrounds it will slightly reduce capacity in the rush hour.

Incorrect. It's made no difference whatsoever in the 6 months its been in place.

(Yes, you can read into that as many levels as you wish... :roll:)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think it was Diamond Geezer commenting that one reason for the one at Holborn is probably that a real person doing that job would be at serious risk of assault by angry passengers.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm amazed I never noticed this before, but usually the hall is very busy or it hasn't been on.

What if people stop to listen to it? Won't that cause congestion?

And if people aren't stopping, which I assume is more likely, how much are they going to hear - especially with the long pauses. I know there's motion detection and I was waving my hand and foot to trigger the next announcement, but it just seems totally pointless.

Far more useful are the escalators/travelators that have speakers and warn people of things when people are on them. You then have a captive audience too!

That would also make it far easier to tell people when to walk on the left, or stand on the left during busy times, as trialled at Holborn.

But, hey, at least she calls a lift a lift!

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think the one at Euston from mainline to LU says lift also? Always exchange a few 1 sided expleatives with her when I arrive from the North as she really lowers the mood after the innitial Arriving in London buz I get

duncanp

Established Member
I should think that the vast majority of people who use Kings Cross (including me) ignore her, so I would question what use she actually is.

Especially when you consider many people using Kings Cross will not have English as their first language.

In any case, if everyone using the station stopped and listened to everything she has to say it would cause congestion.

Someone at TfL must think it is a good idea though, just like they did with the recent revamp <( of the website.

TH172341

It never ceases to amaze me how well money can be spent...What a pointless investment in something that no-one will listen to anyway. :roll:

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only one I find to have a purpose is the one at Holborn - having an audiovisual cue as to the 'stand on both sides' trial is helpful I think. (Don't get me started on the attitudes of some people during said trial though!)

bramling

Veteran Member
It never ceases to amaze me how well money can be spent...What a pointless investment in something that no-one will listen to anyway. :roll:

Being cynical, these sorts of initiatives make interview competencies for the people behind them.

"Give us an example of something you have done to improve safety".

jon0844

Veteran Member
"I introduced a number of bulky, and extremely expensive given the hardware inside, projected image safety systems that annoyed staff daily and were mostly ignored by the general public. I also decided it wise to refer to something by its American name, despite all nearby signs referring to it as the better known British name."

"Thanks, we'll be in touch"

urbophile

Established Member
Creepy! There is one on Merseyrail at Liverpool Central. There are usually a number of real, and helpful, human beings around too so I don't see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.