• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying things about the Class 378

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
My only issue is the seating. I love urban views and the 378's have plenty of railway junctions and depots to look at. So I always stand at the doors to get a view. But I appreciate I'm in the minority and the seating serves a functional purpose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skoodle

It's not the fault of the stock, but the oh-so-slow travel times irk me - the approaches to Clapham Junction, for example are inexplicably limted to 10mph for a very long way out for no apparent reason - once on the 'main line' there it is straight, good condition track - good platform over-runs, etc. The journey from CJ to Canada Water, for example, is quicker by SWT to Waterloo, then a (long-ish) interchange to the Jubilee line, than by direct LO train!

It was increased to 15mph in December. It's due to the condition of the bridge structure supporting Platforms 0, 1 and 2.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I actually don't mind facing other people, but I imagine most people don't like being stared at, or at least the appearance of such.. The alternatives are looking at the floor or the ceiling.

I agree with Deepgreen that's it's hardly an issue on the tube, but I'm still more comfortable sitting 'normally' on 72TS or D Stock.

Unless I'm facing people that I know on either the Tube or class 378's I tend to ignore everyone else as I'm lost in my own thoughts. Either that or I'm reading something. I can't say that I've ever been stared at on public transport in London and I'm a Londonder but as I say I don't tend to notice what anyone else is doing. I'm really not interested to be honest and I truly think that's the case for the vast majority of Londoners.

I really don't understand how facing people in longitudinal seating is not an issue on the Tube (with it's tunnels) as opposed to class 378's where you are seldom in a tunnel. How on earth does being in a tunnel on the Tube make any difference at all? Honesty question here by the way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i basically want a choice rather than being forced to look at the mug across the carriage.

I only normally do 3 or 4 stops on the tube etc, but on the overground from west croydon its a good half an hour to Canada Water.

Assuming that you are traveling in the peak I would have thought that your view would have been blocked by standing rail users well before you reached your destination. In which case you won't have the opportunity to stare at anyone sat opposite you.

Can I assume from what you've stated that you would be unable to travel on the Tube for a journey of 30 minutes? From my experience most journeys on the Overground are in fact a fair bit less than 30 minutes. Living in Richmond the longest journey that I do is to Gospel Oak which is just over 30 minutes but in reality my average journey on the LO is half that.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Because - apart from stations - there isn't anything to look at?

However how does traveling in a tunnel (with nothing to look at) impact on the fact that you are facing someone across the carriage? I don't see that there is a difference between doing that on the Tube and on the Overground.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The seating arrangement on the 378s is a necessary evil, but I feel queasy if I'm sitting sideways on a train or bus so on 378s I stand even if seats are available. On the underground I'll use the perch seats at vehicle ends if I'm on stock that has them, failing that I will stand unless I'm on the Met, District (for now!) or Bakerloo.

Status
Not open for further replies.