• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual Rail Passenger Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
I would have thought early April, as the financial year just ends. Are you looking for 2011 annual rail passengers or rail's annual year from 2011 April- 2012 March?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Bear in mind it is getting earlier every year - 2009-2010's data came out in early February.

VTPreston_Tez

That's what confused me, and I don't think National Rail are in any position to give up the data as 2011/12 will be over soon...and that leaves me confused.

John55

When do the figures come out? I heard March but I've found nothing yet on Wikipedia...

The last quarters figures for rail passenger usage came out on the 1st March and are available via the ORR National Trends Portal. The annual figures (including Q4) will be out in June.

However I am guessing you actually mean the Station Usage report for 2010-2011 which has not been released yet. Last year it came out shortly after the 1st March so just keep an eye on the ORR website referred to earlier in this thread..

When asking for information like this it is essential to be very specific about the information you want otherwise you may not get what you want and confusion can abound!.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't take the statistics too seriously. If you compare the station usage data with the passenger numbers there is usually a big discrepancy (30% or so last time I checked). The station usage figures are only just becoming even vaguely reliable after about 9 years of production as for example the compilers produced about 7 years of data without all sorts of PTE ticket data (hence the huge increases in Merseyside and West Midlands counts 2 years ago). There are still some gaps in the data which will eventually be resolved but probably not in my lifetime! (and I am not particularly old).

WatcherZero

Established Member
I have varying memories of the Station usage reports, last couple of times have been Feb but before that was March, as you will note the last update was 10th of Feb last year. I did send an query asking when it would be released a month ago but got no reply, in previous years its appeared in their release schedule but at the moment doesnt appear too.

Yeah they have improved in accuracy over the years, the pte inclusion was actually a fair bit back. At the moment the Dft only collects service crowding data for London but that should be widening soon. They are also supposed to be moving to direct use of ticket data rather than having to infer, next round of franchises also have mandatory requirements for franchises to install onboard passenger counting equipment (various devices can be used mounted above the doors, cameras doing computerised optical counts, IR counting heat signatures or scales measuring weight) so they will know exactly how many board and exit at each station, that would be 3 or 4 years off.

Last edited:

John55

I have varying memories of the Station usage reports, last couple of times have been Feb but before that was March, as you will note the last update was 10th of Feb last year. I did send an query asking when it would be released a month ago but got no reply, in previous years its appeared in their release schedule but at the moment doesnt appear too.

Yeah they have improved in accuracy over the years, the pte inclusion was actually a fair bit back. At the moment the Dft only collects service crowding data for London but that should be widening soon. They are also supposed to be moving to direct use of ticket data rather than having to infer, next round of franchises also have mandatory requirements for franchises to install onboard passenger counting equipment (various devices can be used mounted above the doors, cameras doing computerised optical counts, IR counting heat signatures or scales measuring weight) so they will know exactly how many board and exit at each station, that would be 3 or 4 years off.

The figures I referred to, Merseyside and West Midlands, did not include PTE tickets until 2008-9 so 2 years is correct.

WatcherZero

Established Member
2008 is four years ago you know :) True the data compilation is always a year behind.

cle

Established Member
Any big expectations or changes?

Will this be the first full year of Shepherds Bush?

Status
Not open for further replies.