• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual Season Ticket Changeover 2nd Time - Fare calculation rules? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj

Hello

I need some help in calculation of fare I would need to pay to do the changeover 2nd time around. Here is a bit of history.

1st Changeover:
I first bought a annual season from Redhill to London Z1-6, the cost of this ticket was £3652.00 for an year. Start date 24 oct 18 to end date 23 Oct19.
I stopped going to my local office as I was deputed to other location for few months which meant I did not need this ticket for few months but would have needed this after few months. So instead of cancelling the ticket and get a refund I did a change over to the nearest station (Redhill-Earlswood) which has very little fare. The calculation was done as below:

Changeover Calculation: on 2nd June 2019
A. Old Fare paid - 3652
B. New Fare - £364
C. Total days validity - 365
D. Old base rate (A/C) = £10.01
E. New Base Rate (B/C) = £1.00
F. Days Remaining = 144
G. Credit Remaining (D*F) = £1441
H. Fare owing (E*F) = £144
K. Difference (H-G) = £-1297 (This is the amount I got back)

2nd Changeover:
Now, I would be going to my location so I would like to change my season ticket as it was previously at the start i.e. changing from Redhill-Earlswood to Redhill-London Z1-6.

The problem is that with the 2nd changeover - the New fare they are charging me (B above is now based on Monthly rate i.e. £350 per 30 days which is more than (3652/365*30 = £300.16). Here is the calculation I was shown.

2nd Changeover Calculation: on 12 September 2019
Current Ticket validity 02 June 19 to 23 oct 19
A. Old Fare paid - 144
B. New Fare for original dates i.e.2nd June to 23 oct 19 = £1659.90 (this is based on the monthly rate instead of annual rate. If I was to do the annual rate then this should be 3652/365*144 = £1441 as in G above in 1st changeover). The system works out that the validity is less than an year so starts charging monthly rate.)

C. Total days validity - 142 (this has been lowered by 2 days, don't know why?)
D. Old base rate (A/C) = £1.00
E. New Base Rate (B/C) = £11.70
F. Days Remaining = 42
G. Credit Remaining (D*F) = £42
H. Fare owing (E*F) = £491
K. Difference (H-G) = £449 (This is the amount I am asked to pay)

If they were to use the annual rate in B above instead of monthly. I evaluate the values as

E. New Base Rate (B/C) = £10.01
H. Fare owing (E*F) = £420
K. Difference (H-G) = £378

So effectively, I am being asked to pay £71 (£449 - £378) more than I actually should.

My question is that does anyone know the rules around using the base rate for 2nd change over as in B above. Should this be based on Annual or monthly rate according to the rules for calculation of 2nd changeover?

Please help!

Thanks
Raj

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

janb

C. Total days validity - 142 (this has been lowered by 2 days, don't know why?)

2nd June to 23rd October is 4 months and 22 days. When calculating base rate on period season a month is 30 days, hence 4x30 = 120 + 22 = 142.

That's the easy question to answer. I can't really help with the hard ones.

Raj

Thanks janb for response. Yeah, I get that, don't think it makes much difference.

But the other main issue on the use of monthly rate as base instead of yearly rate for recalculation makes a big difference. Don't know what the rules are?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I was taught that you effectively ignore what it says on the ticket for a second (or subsequent) changeover, and use the date of issue and period of validity from the original ticket as the basis of your calculation, so it should still be being worked out as if it was an Annual issued on 24/10/18.

The only time the fact that multiple changeovers are involved comes into play is if you subsequently request a refund.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I was taught that you effectively ignore what it says on the ticket for a second (or subsequent) changeover, and use the date of issue and period of validity from the original ticket as the basis of your calculation, so it should still be being worked out as if it was an Annual issued on 24/10/18.
That's correct - the fact that there has been a previous changeover is not relevant to the calculation.
The only time the fact that multiple changeovers are involved comes into play is if you subsequently request a refund.
But I don't think that is correct. The first ticket's usage will already have been accounted for, so again the previous changeover (and journey) is ignored.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
But I don't think that is correct. The first ticket's usage will already have been accounted for, so again the previous changeover (and journey) is ignored.
There was a protracted thread about it a few years ago, which came to the conclusion that multiple changeovers do affect a subsequent refund, given you have to recalculate the changeover(s) as if the original ticket expired on its last day of use.

I'll start a new thread with an actual example later.

Raj

Thanks everyone. So we are saying that the rail company's use of monthly rate instead of the annual rate for 2nd changeover is correct since the new season ticket validity was less than an year?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.