• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual Season Ticket Incentives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

I will shortly start commuting from Ash Vale to London (with Travelcard). I'm doing a few weeks on weekly tickets, then I'll buy an annual season when my employer's loan comes through.

As SWR don't offer any incentives for annual tickets now (SWT previously gave some free weekend passes), are there any other TOCs offering an incentive for season purchases?

As an aside, are there any operators giving Nectar points or cashback for seasons? SWR offer nothing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I will shortly start commuting from Ash Vale to London (with Travelcard). I'm doing a few weeks on weekly tickets, then I'll buy an annual season when my employer's loan comes through.

As SWR don't offer any incentives for annual tickets now (SWT previously gave some free weekend passes), are there any other TOCs offering an incentive for season purchases?

As an aside, are there any operators giving Nectar points or cashback for seasons? SWR offer nothing.
Also, I would advise using a credit card - this gives you additional legal protection in the form of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if the TOC acts in breach of the contract (for example, not paying out for delays or failing to provide the service at all or with reasonable care and skill). You don't have to put all of the cost on your credit card to avail of this protection (if, for example you don't have a high enough credit limit) - the only conditions are that you don't pay indirectly via something like a PayPal account, and that the value of the purchase is between £100 and £30,000 (as it's an annual season ticket, it almost certainly will be).

If you have a cashback credit card it would be worth using this to pay for as much of the purchase as you can - for example, there are several Visa/Mastercard cards which offer 0.5% back, and American Express offers up to 1.25% on an ongoing basis, as well as up to 5% for the first three months (with a maximum cashback of £125 IIRC).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An Annual Gold Card is a significant benefit:

- discounted travel for the Gold Card holder and up to 3 other adults and 4 children when travelling at off peak times in the Gold Card Area
- discounted travel for the Gold Card holder when using Oyster PAYG at off peak times
- you can buy a railcard for £10 for a friend or family member

Fiyero

An Annual Gold Card is a significant benefit:

- discounted travel for the Gold Card holder and up to 3 other adults and 4 children when travelling at off peak times in the Gold Card Area
- discounted travel for the Gold Card holder when using Oyster PAYG at off peak times
I’ll add to this thread rather than starting a new one. I know this discount is once per year but is that the year of the gold card or calendar year? I bought a discounted family and friend railcard in September, got my new gold card in October and need a 2 together railcard for July. I enquired today and was told I couldn’t use my discount again until September. I assumed buying a new gold card reset the clock as it were. I don’t want to cheat the system (it will still be worth me getting the 2 together at full price) but who is right?

bubieyehyeh

So to be clear can you buy a discounted railcard, renew you goldcard, and get another discounted railcard (ie, one discount per goldcard). Or do you have to wait a year from last discounted railcard?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So to be clear can you buy a discounted railcard, renew you goldcard, and get another discounted railcard (ie, one discount per goldcard). Or do you have to wait a year from last discounted railcard?

That’s fine, I’ve done exactly this before.

Purchase a discounted Railcard on my Gold Cards last day of validity
Renew the Gold Card
Purchase another discounted Railcard on the new Gold Cards first day of validity.

Fiyero

That’s fine, I’ve done exactly this before.

Purchase a discounted Railcard on my Gold Cards last day of validity
Renew the Gold Card
Purchase another discounted Railcard on the new Gold Cards first day of validity.
That's (more or less) what they said I couldn't do, very clear that I had to wait until I'd had the last discounted railcard for a year, though he didn't seem to get that I wanted a different type this time.
Can anyone reference a rule?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
That's (more or less) what they said I couldn't do, very clear that I had to wait until I'd had the last discounted railcard for a year
How do they know when you bought the last discounted railcard? Maybe you should just go to a different booking office?

Fiyero

There
How do they know when you bought the last discounted railcard? Maybe you should just go to a different booking office?
There is a note on their system, I assume all the offices can see it (and I do recall seeing that you have to go to your 'home' station to get the discount

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
You can get it at any station. I would recommend going to one operated by a different TOC, who won't have any record of the previous railcard you purchased.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Can anyone reference a rule?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46573.aspx

Discounted Railcards
Annual Gold Card holders can buy one of the following one year Railcards for only £10 anytime during the validity of their Annual Gold Card for either themselves or someone else:

• 16-25 Railcard
  • Two Together Railcard
  • Family & Friends Railcard
  • Disabled Persons Railcard
  • Senior Railcard
  • Network Railcard
Annual Gold Card holders can apply for a Railcard for £10 at the National Rail station where they purchased their Annual Season ticket. Holders of Annual Gold Cards bought online or Gold Record Card holders can apply at their local National Rail station.

A Railcard application will need to be completed by the applicant and, where required, evidence of eligibility and photos – see the relevant Railcard application form for details. The Annual Gold Card holder will need to show their Annual Gold Card or Gold Record Card at the time of purchase and only one discounted Railcard can be purchased during the validity of the Annual Season ticket.

causton

Established Member
You can get it at any station. I would recommend going to one operated by a different TOC, who won't have any record of the previous railcard you purchased.

It is actually written on the Gold Card itself when the railcard is issued.

Or at least it should be.

And if you get an encode exchange will they transfer the marking across? And if they do will the clerk know or care about the one per railcard rule? ;)
I mean, I did once to a very rude gentleman (refusing it made him even ruder) - but your experience may vary.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Annual Gold Card holders can apply for a Railcard for £10 at the National Rail station where they purchased their Annual Season ticket.
Oh I stand corrected; I didn't know about that rule. I also have a Hatton-Lapworth Gold Card and have bought the accompanying discounted railcard at a couple of different stations over the years, operated by both Southeastern and GWR, neither of whom operate the station where I purchased the Gold Card (that was Marylebone).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've purchased discounted railcards at different stations to where my season ticket was issued with no problems. I've never had a problem purchasing a discounted railcard - no-one has ever endorsed the back of my Gold Card.

Interestingly the conditions I linked to above say that if you purchased your Gold Card on-line or if you have a Gold Record Card then you can use any station.

ess

Actually I disagree with the Annual Gold Card being a significant benefit:

- This is true if you want to travel in the larger Gold card area (which is bigger than the Network Railcard area) but if you just want the Network Railcard area then this is worth £30 per year

- £zero if your gold card includes London Zones 1-6

- £20 per year

TOTAL £50 per year (plus the significant saving over monthly tickets)

---

Most significant disadvantage

- You can lose the gold card once. Second time you won't get a replacement.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
You're not counting these additional 3 benefits:
  • no minimum fare on tickets purchased Mon-Fri with Gold Card
  • Gold Card offers discount on 1st Class fares
  • Gold Card valid from 09:30 Mon-Fri, giving an extra half-hour of validity over the Network Railcard
Depending on your travel habits, these additional 3 benefits can be worth a lot.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No £13 minimum fare with a Gold Card
Gold Card can be used from 0930 on weekdays compared to 1000 with the Network Railcard
Gold Card gives discount on 1st Class fares
Many Gold Cards don't include London Zones 1-6. Even if they do there are areas outside Zones 1-6 where Oyster PAYG can be used and a discount obtained )e.g HS1 to Stratford International, Shenfield, Grays, Gatwick, Amersham etc.)

Appreciate a Gold Card won't work for everyone but for many of us it certainly does.

bubieyehyeh

It's the lack of the £13 minimum fare that make its worth it for me. Daily saving of £5 instead of £2.

Fiyero

You're not counting these additional 3 benefits:
  • no minimum fare on tickets purchased Mon-Fri with Gold Card
  • Gold Card offers discount on 1st Class fares
  • Gold Card valid from 09:30 Mon-Fri, giving an extra half-hour of validity over the Network Railcard
Depending on your travel habits, these additional 3 benefits can be worth a lot.
The no minimum fare bit was the big selling point for me, many of my journeys are the £3 - 10 range undiscounted. The loss of the 6 free SWT means this might be my last gold card though as that really swung it!

EDIT: Thanks for all the info and references, I am deciding whether to push it or wait and get another one later (as I'd much prefer the online version of the 2 Together with it all on one card anyway). I think it is just my ticket office with this interpretation, They made a big fuss when I got my second discounted one as the notes on the system didn't have a date and they didn't believe I got the other one more than a year prior!

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Actually I disagree with the Annual Gold Card being a significant benefit:

- This is true if you want to travel in the larger Gold card area (which is bigger than the Network Railcard area) but if you just want the Network Railcard area then this is worth £30 per year

- £zero if your gold card includes London Zones 1-6

- £20 per year

TOTAL £50 per year (plus the significant saving over monthly tickets)

---

Most significant disadvantage

- You can lose the gold card once. Second time you won't get a replacement.
No one said it is for everyone.

For the majority of people living outside the Gold Card area it is probably worth close to zero. Doesn't make it any less of a significant benefit to others.

If it is only worth £50 to you then the simple answer is not to buy a Gold Card. It is not compulsory.

infobleep

Veteran Member
No £13 minimum fare with a Gold Card
Gold Card can be used from 0930 on weekdays compared to 1000 with the Network Railcard
Gold Card gives discount on 1st Class fares
Many Gold Cards don't include London Zones 1-6. Even if they do there are areas outside Zones 1-6 where Oyster PAYG can be used and a discount obtained )e.g HS1 to Stratford International, Shenfield, Grays, Gatwick, Amersham etc.)

Appreciate a Gold Card won't work for everyone but for many of us it certainly does.
There is also a discount on the Emirates cable car.

Brucey

I would say that a Gold Card, to maybe 90% of commuters, is not actually an advantage. Most of the people I commute with only use the train for travel to work and never use it outside the peak times, or for any other journeys.

The only benefit I can see myself using is the 1/3 off for accompanying passengers, maybe once or twice a year. Possibly a £20 saving per year.

Going back to my original question, I would strongly recommend buying the season ticket from the TOC who operate the ticket office you are most likely to use. I purchased a monthly season online from GWR that was heavily faded on arrival. It lasted a few days until most text was almost illegible. I had to visit three SWR ticket offices before someone would actually replace it. Even then, they had to phone head office for instructions on how to do it, and it took the best part of 25 minutes to get a replacement. That inconvenience wasn't worth a few Nectar points, in my opinion, especially if you have to do it every few months on an annual season.

Fiyero

I've purchased discounted railcards at different stations to where my season ticket was issued with no problems. I've never had a problem purchasing a discounted railcard - no-one has ever endorsed the back of my Gold Card.

Interestingly the conditions I linked to above say that if you purchased your Gold Card on-line or if you have a Gold Record Card then you can use any station.
Update: I went to another station (same TOC) and his initial thought was the same, one per calendar year. After looking for a rule (which he agreed was ambiguous) a colleague agreed with my interpretation. He did write on my gold card which is fine as I wasn't trying to cheat! Anyway my girlfriend and I are now 'Railcard official' (if that isn't already a thing it should be)

Status
Not open for further replies.