• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual season tickets to London Terminals from South of Three Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:?: Are these still inter-available for use on the East Grinstead and/or Uckfield lines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Evvy73

Sorry don't know the answer to the question, but it sounds interesting!

Does this mean that my Hassocks - London Terminals Gold Card could also be used as far as East Grinstead and Uckfield? Could be very useful if I need to get to my sister in laws!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry don't know the answer to the question, but it sounds interesting!

Does this mean that my Hassocks - London Terminals Gold Card could also be used as far as East Grinstead and Uckfield? Could be very useful if I need to get to my sister in laws!

If it is the destination will include 'AAA <somewhere else>', where 'AAA' means also available at.

I think you'd have already noticed if that was present?

Evvy73

Hehe - yes, you're right I think I would have noticed. My ticket simply states "Between Hassocks * & London Terminals". (Not sure what the * means!).#

So I guess the answer to the OP's question is 'no'.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hehe - yes, you're right I think I would have noticed. My ticket simply states "Between Hassocks * & London Terminals". (Not sure what the * means!).#

The entitlement wouldn't be automatic, so that doesn't imply they don't exist on its own. Where there is an AAA option, it usually costs very slightly more. I had a quick check using National Rail's season ticket planner but nothing showed up for Uckfield or Hassocks.

For an example local to me that is still available, you can get a Southamton Airport to London season AAA at Hedge End, and vice versa. These are shown in the National Rail season ticket calculator.

Back when there was an online NFM I expect we'd have been able to quote a list, but I expect you'll need access to 'the manual' or Advantix nowadays.

radamfi

Established Member
The attached file shows that there used to be inter-available season tickets between Crawley/Haywards Heath, Three Bridges/East Grinstead, Haywards Heath/Uckfield amongst many other combinations back in NFM98.

Attachments

• NFM98_London_N.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 40

Greeby

By and large, the list of AAA fares seems to be the same as the one in the attachment (although nowhere near those prices anymore). I've sold a couple of the Milton Keynes/Bedford ones before now

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

:!: Are you sure? Just to clarify, this particular easement was previously seen on page 9 of Section M of NFM98 (South) which dealt with ticket easements in the Southern area. As 'swt_passenger' points out, I think that it will need someone with access to the current version of the 'manual' to be able to check and confirm for definite.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
:?: Anyone able to check this?

radamfi

Established Member
According to Avantix NFM11 CD software, the AAA options do not appear for the Southern examples given in NFM98 that I have tried, but it does show AAA for Woking/Clandon to London. So I suspect that Southern have withdrawn them (any idea why?). Are these regulated?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So noted, but the various Southern ticket easements (of which this was a significant one) were in a different section of the Manual (i.e. Section M) as opposed to prices for Dual Route Available season tickets (i.e. Section N).

a1a.a1a

So I suspect that Southern have withdrawn them

TBH, having done 10+ years on tickets this is the 1st time I have heard of AAA (other than the old Dog/Luggage charge) so i'm not sure Brighton (my) area has ever had these... I know Hassocks (as an example) used to have acceptance at Plumpton (same fare and shown as 'also valid to' (or similar) in the back of the NFM) but i've never seen it marked on a ticket.

John @ home

Established Member
Where there is an AAA option, it usually costs very slightly more.
Agreed. Current prices for 7-day Standard season tickets East Grinstead - London Terminals are:

£56.70 route Any Permitted
£66.10 route AAA Buxted
£58.50 route AAA Caterham
£84.10 route AAA Edenbridge Stns
£96.40 route AAA Haywards Heath
£81.20 route AAA Three Bridges
£66.10 route AAA Uckfield.

About 3 years ago in one of the monthly briefs handed out from Southern it was stated that:

1 - Holders of season tickets between as far as Bexhill, Hove and Crawley including Three Bridges to London Terminals would have unlimited use of the East Grinstead and Uckfield lines

2 - Holders of season tickets between Uckfield and Edenbridge Town to London Terminals would have unlimited use on the East Grinstead line.

I would imagine this to still be in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.