• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual ticket / refund or Monthly- which is cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

Does it always work out better to get a refund from an annual or can it be cheaper to buy monthly tickets if - say - commuting from 3 months?

Trying to find out as it’s unclear whether the commute will be 3,6,9 or 12 months

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
If you only need 3 months, nothing will be significantly cheaper than buying a 3-month season. If there is a possibility of the commute continuing then you may be better to buy an annual.
No doubt someone will be along to say that you can save by buying for odd periods around holidays, but that does require good planning.

It may depend on what you are planning on doing afterwards - I was able to change the route on an annual season ticket without penalty when I moved house some years ago (same train company / different line).

cool110

A refund be calculated to be the same, other than the £10 admin fee. A changeover to a different route is pro-rata, so depending on what happens you might be able to get ahead slightly.

kristiang85

Established Member
If you’re good at planning you can buy odd periods around holidays :)

This is what I do. As SWR removed all the perks of an annual, and the network railcard - for me- is a decent enough substitute for a Gold Card, I worked out that doing odd period tickets around holidays and work travel works out around £200 cheaper this year, and on top of that DR payments (of which there are a LOT with SWR) are about double on shorter season tickets than on the annual. Its a no brainer for me.

cjohnson

on top of that DR payments (of which there are a LOT with SWR) are about double on shorter season tickets than on the annual. Its a no brainer for me.

That can’t be right, can it? SWR say DR is based on 1/464th of the cost of an annual, and 1/40th of a monthly. That gives a small premium to a shorter ticket when calculating delay repay but nowhere near double as far as I can make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.