• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another broadband convert...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Yup, I have finally gone up in the world! I am now typing this from my newly installed broadband connection (Have had no major problems with AOL, so I have upgraded to thier AOL Gold package) which was installed swiftly by a local NTL engineer (as my phoneline is with NTL).

10Mbps is like a Eurostar compared with my normal 56k dial-up modem!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
I really don't know how people can still survive on dial-up!

Dave A

Richard Armstrong said:

Easy - They check the funds in their bank account daily and think "I saved £1.50 by not being on broadband today!":p ;)

Gareth Hale

£1.50 extra a day for broadband, is excellent. Plus who would notice £1.50 a day?

Dave A

Gareth Hale said:
£1.50 extra a day for broadband, is excellent. Plus who would notice £1.50 a day?
Gareth, please note the :p - this means I am taking the *edited to satisfy staff, who must think piss is a nice word* saturated water :p ;)

T

Tom

Gareth - not everyone has money... poor people, would they have £1.50 to spare? Nope.

BTW £1.50 extra a day for Broadband is impossible... it'd be cheaper, or your package would be like £45 a month!

i dont have broadband yet but i intend to get it :p and get a new computer as well:angel8: :blob4: :hiding:

Gareth Hale

117305 said:
i dont have broadband yet but i intend to get it :p and get a new computer as well
What type of PC are you looking for? Bit of friendly advice. If you are looking for one in the near future, try to avoid Intel. Go for AMD ;)

tubechallenger said:
Gareth - not everyone has money... poor people, would they have £1.50 to spare? Nope.

BTW £1.50 extra a day for Broadband is impossible... it'd be cheaper, or your package would be like £45 a month!
Ours comes in a special contract with our TV (cable) So we do get it a tiny bit cheaper than the full price. Im not too sure how much because it isnt me who paies the bills.
--- edited ---
This is a test

eezypeazy

The eezypeazy's upgraded to broadband at the weekend, and SAVED money... I was paying £15.99 a month for AOL dial-up (who, by the way, had given me excellent service for over ten years). Sadly, AOL do not have an arrangement with Telewest, our cable provider, so reluctantly I have closed that account... but Telewest only wanted an extra tenner a month for Broadband. So that's six quid saved, and super data transfer speeds!

eezypeazy

ChrisM

Well i only pay NTL £10 a month for 1MB broadband which is ok.
Came from AOL and they were ok for a few years whilst on dial-up but as soon as i switched to AOL broadband the service went downhill and was un-usable.
The internet is a great learning tool and i do feel sorry for those who can not afford it,i know a few families who can't afford a computer or an internet connection.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
We pay £22.99 here every month for 8 hours of Internet use a day with BT. Tesco dial-up was costing around £12.50 - £15 a month, but this connection became so unreliable and slow (partly due to this PC having been attacked by a super-strong virus) that we cancelled it. There were a couple of other reasons, but that'll do for explanation here. So we pay between £8 - 11 a month more for more restricted access, but about 50% faster access. Got it for about 11 more months, by which point I hope we can swap to a much better package. Not even BT can tell me what speed our connection is ('the fastest available in your area' I'm informed!), which is stupid.

BB costs us more a month, restricting other luxuries, but we survive still. We have noticed a sharp increase in electricity use since we got BB though.

Jim

Established Member
eezypeazy said:
The eezypeazy's upgraded to broadband at the weekend, and SAVED money... I was paying £15.99 a month for AOL dial-up (who, by the way, had given me excellent service for over ten years). Sadly, AOL do not have an arrangement with Telewest, our cable provider, so reluctantly I have closed that account... but Telewest only wanted an extra tenner a month for Broadband. So that's six quid saved, and super data transfer speeds!

eezypeazy

i pay for the TV & Internet together as well:blob5: :lol:

Julian G

Established Member
i still have Dial-Up with SupaHighway
Supanet
i already ordered for the Broadband package from SupaHighway

Guinness

Established Member
NTL Household over here ;)

Phone
TV
Broadband

Never had any major problems with them despite there reputation. ;)

Ben

Chaz said:
NTL Household over here ;)

Phone
TV
Broadband

Never had any major problems with them despite there reputation. ;)
Same Here!

Their Customer Services are getting Better. :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
[Re: NTL]

Probably since they merged with Telewest and my sister started working for them :p

Sprinter

Well my previous unlimited time dial-up was £15.99 a month. This 10Mbps connection is costing only £9 more a month at £24.99.

I am surprised AOL doesn't have a Telewest deal, when my phone connection is with NTL and I have got AOL Broadband.

bloogrape

Richard Armstrong said:
Whats dial up? isnt that the connection speed back in the dinosaur days? lol

god i could never go back to dial up, it costs to much money on dial up as i get frustrated and end up hiting something and regreating it, like the time i wacked the top of my old pc unit and the hard drive died lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.