• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another class 70 fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silv1983

70005 had a small engine fire today shortly after leaving Wigan North Western some time after midday. It didn't even make it as far as Hindley. Fire service extinguished it according to the signaller I spoke to - and it was dragged back into WNW by the 66 that was tailing it.

These locos are cursed today it would seem; as 70001 had to shed a load of ballast wagons at Bolton after triggering a hot axle box detector near Lostock Jct this morning.

Thought this might interest some of you as I know they're a topic of conversation (love and hate) amongst enthusiasts ;)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dreadnought

These locos are cursed today it would seem; as 70001 had to shed a load of ballast wagons at Bolton after triggering a hot axle box detector near Lostock Jct this morning.
I doubt it was 70001 as that was parked in Ipswich stabling point yesterday afternoon when I was there.

Just checked to confirm and I have seen TOPS lists today that say it is still there.

It is built by the 'Muricans. I believe in times like this we need to be building as much as possible in the UK including our trains.

driver9000

Established Member
70005 had a small engine fire today shortly after leaving Wigan North Western some time after midday. It didn't even make it as far as Hindley. Fire service extinguished it according to the signaller I spoke to - and it was dragged back into WNW by the 66 that was tailing it.

Thought this might interest some of you as I know they're a topic of conversation (love and hate) amongst enthusiasts ;)

What hot axle box detector near Lostock Junction?

Silv1983

What hot axle box detector near Lostock Junction?

Sorry it must have been other drivers' reporting smoke - I assumed there was one somewhere: but thinking back the signaller said there was a hot axle box that was smoking and it had been reported already so not to stop and report it. My brain filling in the gaps (incorrectly)!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I doubt it was 70001 as that was parked in Ipswich stabling point yesterday afternoon when I was there.

Just checked to confirm and I have seen TOPS lists today that say it is still there.

I could swear blind it was 70001. I was with another driver who remarked that the loco involved was "one of those ugly things you like the look off" - to which I clocked the number and said it was the first one off the production line. In that case I don't know which it was.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Whenever the class is mentioned, we get the same response here - they always burst into flame. But no one ever actually gives the stats. As I asked earlier: how long since the previous fire and what are the current MPC figures?

driver9000

Established Member
Sorry it must have been other drivers' reporting smoke - I assumed there was one somewhere: but thinking back the signaller said there was a hot axle box that was smoking and it had been reported already so not to stop and report it. My brain filling in the gaps (incorrectly)!

You had me thinking I'd missed something important for a minute! :lol:

12CSVT

Established Member
Whenever the class is mentioned, we get the same response here - they always burst into flame. But no one ever actually gives the stats. As I asked earlier: how long since the previous fire and what are the current MPC figures?

Conversely, how bad are they compared with class 27s or class 127 DMUs which both had a bad reputation for catching fire ?

And is it possible to overcome the fires by revving the engine (a remedy which often worked well with the Deltics) ?

broadgage

Reving the engine can sometimes put out fires in the exhaust system, but it certainly would not help with an engine fire, nor with a hot axlebox.

BestWestern

Established Member
What is the situation regarding the damage and repairs caused by these fires; are these mobile BBQ's under warranty or are Freightliner regretting it big time? Although presumably FL are having to fork out for regular delay minutes and recovery operations anyhow? I don't envisage any more orders for the UK!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Maybe built by the same people as the Boeing 787? :P

Well GE did make the engines fitted to about half of them (Airlines can choose between Rolls Royce Trent or GE Gen-X engines*) and a GE engine did combust during ground running...

*Of the UK operators, BA have Rolls and Thomson have GE

BestWestern

Established Member
Well GE did make the engines fitted to about half of them (Airlines can choose between Rolls Royce Trent or GE Gen-X engines*) and a GE engine did combust during ground running...

*Of the UK operators, BA have Rolls and Thomson have GE

Without wising to wander too far off topic, what are the considerations and the differences when making that choice? I 'like' planes in a curious kind of way but my knowledge is nil!

BestWestern

Established Member
Once again. How many fires have there been in the last six months? What is current MPC? Or are people just mocking this class with no real basis?

I've no idea of the figures, doubtless somebody does though. However there is clearly a problem with the class 70 being unacceptably prone to self ignition; how many other current classes of traction in the UK have had anywhere this many incidents in the same timescale?

Would you be satisfied if you'd invested millions in brand new machines to increase reliability and productivity, only to find that they set themselves ablaze on a semi-regular basis, causing disruption and further extensive costs, and the manufacturer seems to have little idea of how to remedy the problem? I would imagine not!

Oswyntail

Established Member
I've no idea of the figures, doubtless somebody does though. However there is clearly a problem with the class 70 being unacceptably prone to self ignition; how many other current classes of traction in the UK have had anywhere this many incidents in the same timescale?

Would you be satisfied if you'd invested millions in brand new machines to increase reliability and productivity, only to find that they set themselves ablaze on a semi-regular basis, causing disruption and further extensive costs, and the manufacturer seems to have little idea of how to remedy the problem? I would imagine not!
No, but is this actually the case? From what I recall, there was a series of fires within a short period of time, from a number of different causes. Since then, they seem to have been fairly well behaved, but, like you, I have no idea how true this is. At the time, I wondered if the problem might have been more related to maintenance of a completely new class, from an unfamiliar manufacturer, but the armchair warriors told me this was impossible.
Usually, on this forum, someone has genuine data (eventually) to support or refute a theory. No one seems yet to have offered this, and this surprises me.

CROMPTON 33

Toaster 70014 is out of service at brush. they keep them in work putting them wright. shame we don't build trains just service the junk from across the pond. then the way i see it is we are only a service centre for the rest of the world now,

455driver

Veteran Member
As the "fire" on 70001 was nothing more than a hot axlebox on one of the wagons (and so nothing to do with the loco) I think we can discount that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.