• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another Class 70007 on Fire / Another 70 Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
One thing to bear in mind is that, as mentioned before, the engines were designed for use in power stations, running on gas, where they'd run at constant speed for prolonged periods. While in rail use, they're starting and stopping frequently and alternating between full power and idling all the time; I think it's been said that rail use is perhaps the toughest environment you can get, since you're either idling or at full power and switching rapidly from one to the other. Perhaps GE might have beneficially put a prototype engine in something to thoroughly test in first in real working conditions, rather than (as I presume they must have) on a static test rig.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Why would Freightliner neglect maintenance on the Class 70s?...
Not suggesting anyone is neglecting maintenance, more that something is getting "lost in translation". There must be something that explains why the first batch, which has been around for three years, has not shown up the multitude of ball-breaking problems that the latest ones have shown in a few weeks, and why a) the problems are so varied, b) coming so close together and c) affecting examples from all delivery batches.

DownSouth

Established Member
One thing to bear in mind is that, as mentioned before, the engines were designed for use in power stations, running on gas, where they'd run at constant speed for prolonged periods.
Gas power stations are used to assist the normal baseload (coal or nuclear) stations in peak power usage times. The ability to go from idle to full power at short notice is highly applicable to a gas power station.

I wonder whether fuel could be a factor. Could it be possible for a batch of fuel to cause problems for the Powerhaul engines but not for the Class 66 with their rougher SD40 engines?

Pen Mill

70002 reported on Locoscene on Fiddlers Ferry coal at Warrington at 11:12 am Today,Obviously doesn't know she's been grounded :D

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
One thing to bear in mind is that, as mentioned before, the engines were designed for use in power stations, running on gas, where they'd run at constant speed for prolonged periods. While in rail use, they're starting and stopping frequently and alternating between full power and idling all the time; I think it's been said that rail use is perhaps the toughest environment you can get, since you're either idling or at full power and switching rapidly from one to the other. Perhaps GE might have beneficially put a prototype engine in something to thoroughly test in first in real working conditions, rather than (as I presume they must have) on a static test rig.

If they are derived from GE Jenbacher Gas engine CHP units which have been primarily designed around methane I would be very surprised if there weren't issues related to higher localised temperatures in parts of the engine due to using rail diesel (also has there been a recent change in Rail diesel spec aligning it more with road spec i.e. lower sulphur?). If the first batch have been comparatively more reliable may be there has been a design change on the engine since the first batch.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gas power stations are used to assist the normal baseload (coal or nuclear) stations in peak power usage times. The ability to go from idle to full power at short notice is highly applicable to a gas power station.

I wonder whether fuel could be a factor. Could it be possible for a batch of fuel to cause problems for the Powerhaul engines but not for the Class 66 with their rougher SD40 engines?

Gas turbines are usually used for that purpose, the gas engines are used in CHP where low grade heat is required (i.e. small factory) in addition to electricity. Both have fast ramp up / down times but both ideally prefer running at constant rpm

fgwrich

Established Member
Latest check on WNXX seems to indicate that Intermodals 17 expired sometime at the weekend, however 20 is/has been returned back to use.

Still, only 1 Class 70 on Intermodal duty though! :roll:

WNXX
As at yesterday evening FL Heavy Haul had eight of 11 is use but FL Intermodal were still deploying one of eight. 70009 has been joined at Eastleigh by 70001 and 70008 for repairs.

DFGH Freightliner Heavy Haul PM 06/05/12
Available 70002 70003 70004 70005 70006 70011 70013 70014
Non Available 70010 70015 70016
DFGI Freightliner Intermodal PM 06/05/12
Available 70020
Non Available 70001 70007 70008 70009 70017 70018 70019

Status
Not open for further replies.