• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another Class 70007 on Fire / Another 70 Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Just had a report of ‎70007 working 4O49 is on fire between Bramley and Basingstoke...So another of compensation from the Bank of Freightliner & GE Then?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hmm, not proving overly reliable are they. I doubt FL will take on the extra 10, and at this rate they will all be retired before the class 60s!

lordhinton

so how many of them havent broke up to now..

1,3,5,7,8,9,12,15,18 have broke/burnt so far if im right?

thanks
dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Of course not forgetting 70012 which got er very broken - though not really its fault :oops:.

I get the impression they are a very much advanced design with lots of new ideas in so it would be worrying if they did not have teething problems. A nuisance though.

linesider

I have never seen a 70,and at this rate i am not likely to! Has anyone spotted a 70 on the ECML in the Durham area? How far would i have to travel to see one from the North East?

Crossforth

Established Member
Typical

I managed to get a few photos of this loco the other day at Southampton Maritime.

Anyone know where 70007 will be taken from there to? Eastleigh? Southampton?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I have never seen a 70,and at this rate i am not likely to! Has anyone spotted a 70 on the ECML in the Durham area? How far would i have to travel to see one from the North East?

Leeds Midland Road is where I have seen a few. I would almost guarantee it but for the existence now of that new depot at York.

ushawk

Established Member
Someone on Twitter has said the rescue loco (probably a 66) is about to be attached. Surely if this is the same problem, then all the 70's need looking at ?

Michael.Y

Established Member
70s run up and down the Marches line too - seen them at Hereford, Salop, outside Crewe, and running through Newport.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it my imagination or are the Class 70s the worst locomotives ever built for reliability?

It's a bit early to be making decisions like that yet I think, a lot of BR's first generation of diesel locomotives had appalling reliability and took years to fix (and some never were) before settling down into fairly decent runners. If the 70s are still catching fire after a couple of years in service then we can start making judgement about their reliability as a fleet, until then I'd say they're having a bad introduction in service rather than the most unreliable locos ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.