• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another failed application

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mad

Established Member
Just got word back from Virgin that my application for Platform Assistant will not be progressed.

Got the standard email reply. Not sure what went wrong. Really de-motivated as I worked really hard on the application.

I have a good work history but no customer service experience. I live 15 miles from the station. Could this be the reason?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Just got word back from Virgin that my application for Platform Assistant will not be progressed.

Got the standard email reply. Not sure what went wrong. Really de-motivated as I worked really hard on the application.

I have a good work history but no customer service experience. I live 15 miles from the station. Could this be the reason?

Getting on the railway is not easy, but do not give up hope, there are many TOC's with lots of different roles. Persevere and do not get too down about it.

BHXDMT

Was this the position at Birmingham International, or were they hiring for other locations? If it is, I also applied but haven't heard anything yet.

I did get a response for the announcing position at BHI though, inviting me to the recruitment event... unfortunately everything transpired against me and I couldn't attend because nobody could swap a shift with me at work. I was so gutted, cos it was my 1st application in 4 with VT that they'd actually shortlisted me for!

Established Member
Wouldn't worry about Virgin. Try the rest - although not much better, they are a mild improvement on Virgin's awful recruitment people at Crewe.

pt_mad

Established Member
Yes it was for the job at Birmingham International. If you havn't heard anything I would guess thats good?

Do their people come on here?

I have applied before to Virgin and to FGW for a similar role.

Yes theres still London Midland I guess but not a lot else locally. Chiltern is 20 miles from here.

Last edited:

wanabedriver

Sorry about that mate but like others have said on this forum do not give up. If you have not had customer related roles before then try to think of something outside of work where you have helped someone,

eg giving someone directions somewhere, helping a someone you don't know. Customer Service is all about doing your job and more for the public. Try to think of when you have helped someone in the past.

All the company want to know is if you will go the extra mile for a punter, sometimes experiences outside of work are better because it gives a more realistic insight into you behavior.

Hope this helps and better luck next time.

Tubeboy

The fact you have no customer service experience would have been a huge flaw in your application. If I were you, I would possibly think of volunteering a few hours a week, maybe in a charity shop for example. With lots of other people applying for these railway jobs with qualifications as long as your arm and with customer service experience, its no wonder you will get rejected.

pt_mad

Established Member
The fact you have no customer service experience would have been a huge flaw in your application. If I were you, I would possibly think of volunteering a few hours a week, maybe in a charity shop for example. With lots of other people applying for these railway jobs with qualifications as long as your arm and with customer service experience, its no wonder you will get rejected.

Yeah I realise its not ideal. I have tons of experience in an operations environment and my job is safety critical.

Would taking a short course in customer service help or would actual hands on volunteering be more beneficial?

LCC106

Established Member
Hands-on all the way! Shows real experience and you will be able to talk about it more naturally!

Ferret

Established Member
Yeah I realise its not ideal. I have tons of experience in an operations environment and my job is safety critical.

Would taking a short course in customer service help or would actual hands on volunteering be more beneficial?

Maybe both. And if you know someone doing a similar job to the one you're applying for then so much the better - you can spend a day with them and mention that you've done so in an interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.