• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another fatal accident on the RHDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
I have recieved reports of another fatal accident on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in Kent. The locomotive involved was 4-8-2 'Hurricaine'. It is understood that a car 'jumped' the lights at Pilot Halt Level Crossing, and was struck by the locomotive in much the same fashion as a previous incident which saw the death of a RHDR driver. So far there has been at least one fatality.

Thanks to 'simming' for letting me know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
If this is another VOLUNTEER worker who has been killed by the wreckless actions of a motorist then the case really needs to be used as a means of making example of people who think its ok to jump red lights etc

Simming

The Loco Driver was Female I hear

EDIT: She Was The Managing Directors Wide Who was killed in the loco :shock:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Disgusting.

The first thought that entered my mind when I heard there was a fatailty was 'I hope it was not anyone on the train'. You can read into that whatever you want.

The fact is that some road users think they're the bees knees and can do whatever they want, at whatever speeds they want. The sort of people who know where every camera is. The sort of people who jump red lights. The sort of people who, in this case, as far as I'm concerned MURDER people. They need to be stopped, and dealt with harshly. But sadly, knowing the laws in this country, they will get off very lightly indeed. :cry: :cry: :cry:

My thoughts are with the driver of the train and her family.

Simming

The driver of the car in the 2003 collision admitted careless driving and was disqualified for 12 months and given a £500 fine.

?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!

Is That it, thats a Bloody Disgrace!

So Does that mean I can kill my eneimies, just by driving over them, and I wont get punished that much?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Simming said:
So Does that mean I can kill my eneimies, just by driving over them, and I wont get punished that much?
I'm not sure exactly but one thing is for sure: if someone kills someone with a car, they get a very lenient sentence.

This country is too right-wing, it's centred around car drivers. That person will be driving again soon, they should be jailed for many years let alone driving!!

It's a disgrace.

There's one set of rules for car drivers, and it's totally different to the rest of us. :(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
More here:-

http://www.kent-online.co.uk/news/default.asp?article_id=21279&startrecord=-1.

"It’s time to look at some better safety measures. When this railway was built all those years ago there was hardly any traffic but now we have a million visitors to Dungeness every year and there are far more cars on the road."
I agree but it must be funded by car drivers, who are the ones who cause the problems. Increase car taxes now I say and improve all level crossings.

Taxpayers pay for whole city centres to be evacuated, so in this age of safety at any cost, it only seems right that motorists pay to improve level crossing safety.

I would also suggest such people who do this should NEVER be on the roads, and having done such acts should not be allowed back driving, but the are <(

Article about the previous case said:
The jury found Marie Scrace, 23, guilty of careless driving but acquitted her of the more serious charge of causing death by dangerous driving. She was banned from driving for 12 months and fined £500.

Scrace told the court that she failed to stop at a level crossing on the
Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway because she did not see the flashing warning lights.
A disgrace. Marie Scrace, you ARE a disgrace. The law is a disgrace, the jury is a disgrace and the whole system that favours motorists is a disgrace.

Sickening. <(

Coxster

Established Member
I suppose that is the problem with it being a miniature railway - things like this are going to happen, and with serious consequences for the train crew and passengers! There is/was a gated corssing near Wool and apparently road users would try to open the gates when the crossing keeper's back was turned. It now has to be padlocked when a train passes! They should install barriers on the RH&DR. I wonder if the railway will place another monument in memory of the driver like in the previous 'accident'.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This is awful. What gets me is this is the sort of incident I, along with others I suspect, would imagine a male driver (boy racer if you will) got involved in. A female driver being so irresponsible, well that makes my claim about female drivers more certain...

What's more annoying is that this is what, the 4th of 5th LC incident in the last year? We even had one on the HoW recently!

When will car drivers learn? Answer? Never.

Status
Not open for further replies.