• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another good innovative idea by FGW

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
FGW suffered a power car failure on 1A83 on 10/4/12 and instead of capping at Exeter where the failure occurred, FGW connected up a set of back to back powercars to lead the service up to Reading where the service terminated due to pathing issues going into Paddington.
Service left Exeter 84 late and caped at Reading 120 late
I've heard the reason it wasnt caped at Exeter was the service was full and standing as was the following services so no other way of conveying the passengers to Reading.

Not my video, but one i discovered on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N8ABM-hrl8&feature=related

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reapz

FGW suffered a power car failure on 1A83 on 10/4/12 and instead of capping at Exeter where the failure occurred, FGW connected up a set of back to back powercars to lead the service up to Reading where the service terminated due to pathing issues going into Paddington.
I've heard the reason it wasnt caped at Exeter was the service was full and standing as was the following services so no other way of conveying the passengers to Reading.

Nice , shame things like this only happen when franchises are coming up !

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice , shame things like this only happen when franchises are coming up !

Apart from the other times that FGW has done this such as the odd occasion they've used back to back HST power cars to rescue failed sleeper services you mean?

Dreadnought

I read on wnxx that the 2 power cars were on a Laira to Old Oak move anyway so probably helped make the decision to continue the service easier.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
This is a good move by FGW.

But it is hardly "innovative"....

richw

Veteran Member
I read on wnxx that the 2 power cars were on a Laira to Old Oak move anyway so probably helped make the decision to continue the service easier.

This is something that I've just read elsewhere, but the same discussion says they were just booked to be conducting some testing in the devon area,

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

David

Established Member
I've noticed that FGW are quite pro-active when it comes to trying to keep trains running.

For example, using Pacers or 150s on early morning Plymouth - Paddington services as far as Bristol or Swindon so passengers can get services from there instead of just outright cancelling a train.

Another example is when they used the sleeper stock to form a morning commuter service from Oxford after a unit shortage.

brillopad

I was on the preceding XC service which was also full and standing - TM went through with a clicker counter and asked for volunteers to leave and catch the following services.
Unfortunately I was in Topsham enjoying an Oliva's pasty when the rescue power cars arrived.
Coming back down to Cornwall I was surprised that the 16:20 ex EXD service was full but seeing the news today petrol sales are down 30% and Cornwall is packed with holiday makers.

KA4C

This is something that I've just read elsewhere, but the same discussion says they were just booked to be conducting some testing in the devon area,

It is normal practice for power cars, after work in Laira, to do a run to Newton Abbot and back for testing

D1009

Established Member
But it is hardly "innovative"....

Has there been a previous occasion where a pair of light HST power cars has been used to assist another HST as opposed to the sleeper ?

Would they be allowed to run up to 125 mph, or does the use of the draw bar limit the speed ?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I've noticed that FGW are quite pro-active when it comes to trying to keep trains running.

For example, using Pacers or 150s on early morning Plymouth - Paddington services as far as Bristol or Swindon so passengers can get services from there instead of just outright cancelling a train.

Another example is when they used the sleeper stock to form a morning commuter service from Oxford after a unit shortage.

Sadly it only seems to the be London services that they seem to care as much about.
The local services around Devon and Bristol, the longer distance Portsmouth - Cardiff services seem to be less of a concern for them.
Probably because the London services make them a lot more money.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Sadly it only seems to the be London services that they seem to care as much about.
The local services around Devon and Bristol, the longer distance Portsmouth - Cardiff services seem to be less of a concern for them.

I've never understood why Portsmouth-Cardiff (which serves 7 cities at least) has always been treated as, at best, a secondary provincial route. I suppose the reason is that it doesn't go to either Birmingham or London, which are the only cities anyone responsible for planning ever seem interested in.

bnm

Established Member

Have to disagree. FGW fought very hard recently to get the lions share of extra stock released by the introduction of newer fleets on London Midland and London Overground. The net increase in rolling stock has allowed for significant capacity improvements across the west. All that stock is being tidied up and refreshed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.