• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another line of sight discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greetlander

Apologies but I had a nerd out moment earlier, and as I enjoyed the other line of sight thread figured this may have some traction.

I live in the Northern suburbs of Sydney and driving home today was taken with a plane high above executing a turn. I stopped on the road and photographed it with my phone just at the point where the plane itself was no longer visible to the naked eye, but the contrail was clear.

Using an app I've ascertained that the plane was 89 miles away in a straight line, but 154 miles to drive. I'm fairly sure the end of the trail would have been visible for another 5 minutes if I'd stayed so you could give it 100 miles visibility.

Thing is we have mountain ranges (big hills really) in the way. This is a bit like seeing a plane over Blackpool from Leeds. I wonder if people who live on the edge of the country can see further away than that? Is a plane over Normandy visible from S. England or SW Wales?

IMG_6126.jpeg IMG_6129.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kingspanner

https://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/masshor.shtml

The above links to a line-of-sight calculator that allows arbitrary elevation for observer and target than works out how far apart they can be before the horizon is in the way. All based on geometry of course, not taking in local conditions. Set the altitude for a plane to say 10,000 metres and away you go. (With a really long focal length lens!)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is a plane over Normandy visible from S. England or SW Wales?

Yes, but it does need one of those very rare completely crystal clear days - it's unfortunately very hazy most of the time, even on a sunny day. You also need a good, clear, sightline to a neutral horizon.

I have followed aircraft via their contrails, verified via live tracking websites, some considerable distance from overhead in or near Epsom and I can say for certain that it is possible to see them when they are over places like the Channel Islands, South Wales, Birmingham... So while it's not possible to see the aircraft itself at such distances, I'd say the front of the contrail counts for the purposes of this discussion.

route101

Established Member
From Glasgow looking Southwest i can see them over Northern Ireland.

route101

Established Member
Either from the Campsies facing or high point in City Centre facing South , the New college is great for that . Or Hills south of Glasgow .

Greetlander

https://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/masshor.shtml

The above links to a line-of-sight calculator that allows arbitrary elevation for observer and target than works out how far apart they can be before the horizon is in the way. All based on geometry of course, not taking in local conditions. Set the altitude for a plane to say 10,000 metres and away you go. (With a really long focal length lens!)
Many thanks for this

Status
Not open for further replies.