• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

another major annoyence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvanize

This happened back in the Feburary half term holidays when I was to get the 14:45 desiro from Feltham to Waterloo in order to get the 15:45 to Sutton (which was still slammer then :)). Had I of caught the 14:45 to Waterloo, I would've arrived at Waterloo at 15:20 ish and had enough time to get to London Bridge with time to spare. Anyway I hopped off the 285 bus from hatton cross at Feltham, I could see my train pulling in (well not really, but the level crossing gates were down and I could hear it), then I put my ticket in the machine, it said "SEEK ASSISTANCE." This made me feel puzzled as to why it refused my travel card as it went through the barriers at Uxbridge, Heathrow T123 and Hatton Cross.

I walked to the manual gate where a SWT woman was standing, I asked her politly to let me through and she just snapped at me saying "You don't know how much this manicure costed me!"
This meant I missed my train, and the connection for the Sutton slammer just because the female SA didn't want to damage her nails :x :shock: :?
The next train wasn't till 15:05 because the 14:50 was cancelled. I would've made it to London Bridge if I did not have to wait that 2 minutes for a Networker to London bridge. To add insult to that injury, the slammer was just pulling out of the platform as I ran for it :x

It didn't really matter because I did the slammer the next day with my Grandad. I also didn't make a complaint because it would've been an Invalid reason etc..
What I'm saying is the sods law of missing all my connections just because of that incident :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately these days you have to allow about an hour for connections, and even that isn't alway enough! :(

Except on infrequent lines in Scotland where they will hold trains.

jdjonnay

You should have wrote a letter to SWT explaining your interest in railways, and explained what the woman did and how you felt.

Never know, you may have got some goodies off them or maybe something for your trouble. Not a complaint as such, just a letter saying what happened.

Glad to read you got to do your slammer in the end, anyways :)

Jon

Jim

Established Member
I guess you were just unlucky

Yorkie, I agree totally. I have an 8 min connection of off a Voyager at BTM on a Saturday, if i miss it, 65 minsd till the next train :shock:

Lets face it, I DON'T STAND A CHANCE

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Enlighten us with the connecting journeys and operators, then I might be able to pass judgement on whether the connection is viable.

I've made a 2-minute connection at BTM before now, although I hate running for a connection, no chance to enjoy a relaxing walk to the platform that way. Nice not to rush, but saying that it was a long wait for the next train!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I dunno Jim, ive always got the first train from Trowbridge then the 0828 to BNS before plenty of times, all-be-it a 7 min connection, easily done, not missed one train at BTM due to connection times yet

Sprinter

Interestingly, the NLL Mainline was severly mashed last night due to a suicide at South Acton, so the NLL was closed from Willesden Junction to Richmond!

So when I was coming back from Willesden I found my uual 2154 to North Woolwich was delayed by 18 minutes, meaning it would miss the connection at Gospel with the last train to Barking of the night.

At Gospel Oak, I was fully expected to have to carry on to Highbury, but the 150 was still in the platform with the doors open, held until the late 313 came in, once the passengers who wanted the GOBLIN transferred the 150 departed, 5 down throughout.

However it never happens the other way round! If the GOBLIN is late, the 313 is never held as there is one 15 minutes behind!!

I have had some tight connections myself, involvoling BNS and at Hereford (rail station to bus station in four minutes!) and various others at an interchange like transferring from Thameslink to the NLL at West Hampstead

Jim

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Enlighten us with the connecting journeys and operators, then I might be able to pass judgement on whether the connection is viable.

I've made a 2-minute connection at BTM before now, although I hate running for a connection, no chance to enjoy a relaxing walk to the platform that way. Nice not to rush, but saying that it was a long wait for the next train!

Like Hereford?

Status
Not open for further replies.