• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another one without a Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
There seem to be many of these 'lost railcard' threads about these days.

I closely observed this on the 18:50 ATW departure from Cardiff for Manchester tonight, and there was a passenger who boarded at Newport with Y-P tickets and no railcard. They were Advance Newport S. Wales to Huddersfield - and cheap too, less than £20. The guard checked them and asked the passenger for the railcard.

'Do you really need to see it?'
'Yes I do, you need to present it with those tickets.'

A few moments later, after checking the rest of the carriage, the guard returns and it becomes apparent that the passenger does not have the railcard.

The passenger begins to ramble about how it was presented when the tickets were purchased, but as they have clearly been bought online this doesn't last long. On questioning, passenger insists they own a Railcard and that the guard can check this because it's registered to them, but quite rightly 'Unfortunately we don't have the capability to do that on the train.' Passenger's ticket's pronounced 'null and void'. To allow travel to Manchester would be said to be 'fraud'.

The guard demands, to my horror as an onlooker, £109.60 (for the NOT VIA LONDON fare). Perhaps the guard was thrown by the fact that this is an OFF-PEAK SINGLE, whereas surely the appropriate fare is the ANYTIME DAY SINGLE Route VIA MANCHESTER for only £64.40? Clearly this sum is not forthcoming. Guard gives second option, 'Alight at Abergavenny' in order to purchase a new Railcard, and offers to endorse tickets for travel on the next train. This is at 19:30, the ticket office long since closed. Guard says Railcard will cost £28 (hmm) and the next train is an hour later. It's actually 20:56. Guard offers third option, UFN for a ticket to Manchester, then it's up to the passenger to get themself to Huddersfield however they can. This is ostensibly taken up, so the train departs from Abergavenny and guard returns with UFN pad asking for £60.20 to be paid within 10 days.

This goes down little better than the previous fare, but it is at least correct for an ANYTIME DAY SINGLE. Further cyclical exchanges continue with a shop analogy (much decried on here, I know) about checking change and an Airport analogy about forgetting one's passport employed by guard. Fed up, guard states that there are many other passengers on the train (myself included) with railcards who have used them correctly. Travel will not be allowed to Manchester - passenger has offered guard £28 for a new railcard but it this is obviously not possible - so passenger offers to buy new railcard from Piccadilly. Train will not proceed beyond next stop, Hereford (also closed ticket office at this time!), without one of guard's options being selected.

To my eyes, passenger is not exceptionally vulnerable, but I know there is only one following train of the night, and it arrives in Manchester at 23:48 -quite some time after the train we are on, which arrives at 22:13. I must also declare that I had significant interest in 1W35 being on time at Wilmslow for a connection!

I interrupted the guard and passenger now in conversation over the UFN pad across two seats, just one row in front of me.

"Excuse me, perhaps I might be able to offer some assistance? A passenger who requires a Newport South Wales to Manchester Stations single ticket may be able to reduce the cost by fifteen to twenty pounds by splitting at Cwmbran, Church Stretton and Wilmslow."

To my relief, guard does not take this badly, but asks a few supplementary questions of me (yikes!) and if I know the total (I don't know the exact cheapest split, I confess). I quickly confirm with the guard that the train actually calls at Church Stretton, panicking that it misses it out and my suggestion is duff, "Yes we do call there but it wouldn't matter anyway." (again, hmm). Passenger no doubt bemused but guard totals up fare - just under £45. Guard states passenger now has a fourth option costing £15 less, as provided by 'this gentleman'. Guard continues "Unfortunately, with a UFN -" "Yes," I interrupt "the passenger would have to purchase all of those tickets now - but at least they could remain onboard to Manchester."

I feel I have given the fellow passenger a way to remain on the train and not be ripped off - and more importantly not marooned somewhere as a result of a not quite au fait guard - in a way which satisfies the rules. After all, this is entirely the passenger's fault for failing to carry the railcard.

Would you have interrupted? Or said something sooner? I've never done anything like this before, ever. I was polite and clear and used exact terminology - as did the guard throughout the whole encounter, which is likely the only reason I was confident I could get away with saying something.

Fate of passenger unknown, refused to part with a penny so gets off in a strop at Hereford (ticket office very much closed) after guard brings (probably, clueless, my apologies if not but are they trained in tickets?) train dispatcher onboard and refuses to move train until an 'option' is chosen. More than fair treatment I think and very polite too, but perhaps a more lenient guard would have allowed a new railcard to be purchased in Manchester? The end result would have been the same after all but passenger far less delayed. Technically not within rules though of course. Slightly concerned about lack of key knowledge on part of guard though and not to say application of rules that could have 'tricked' passenger into becoming stranded for the night all to easily.

I made my connection at Wilmslow too thank you :) (assuming you all asked! :D). Now I just feel sorry for the poor cows that got hit earlier :/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
If a YP railcard this implies someone quite young.... male or female?

BestWestern

Established Member
Well, the Guard was of course correct to challenge a lack of railcard, but it sounds rather as though he was one of the more 'keen' types. For me, and for most of us in the grade, delaying a train for a revenue matter is, in almost every case, a very big 'no no'. The cost of delays to a service will almost always outweigh any fares being recovered, plus you are then disrupting the journeys of all other passengers on board.

You are also quite right to question the issue of this being a late evening service, as another golden rule is that you do not strand people miles from their intended destination. If something then happens to them, you can end up being viewed as at least partly liable having failed in your 'duty of care'. DoC applies all the time, whether the person concerned has a ticket or not, whether they are polite or utterly objectionable, and to people who are totally 'able' as well as those who are less so. To fail to carry out that duty is to put oneself in a rather unenviable position if something unfortunate occurs to the individual concerned.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
The guard was particularly lenient really in offering the choices. With me, no railcard, new ticket, no exceptions. If they've genuinely forgotten it then they can get a refund of their new Anytime ticket, but if its expired, or they just don't have one, its a new ticket regardless.

Obviously discretion comes into it and will play a big part, particularly if you're the last or penultimate train of the day in which case as BestWestern has said, you need to show a duty of care towards them rather than turfing them off at nowhere (Berney Arms, Dovey Junction, Havenhouse, etc) or somewhere unstaffed.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The £109.60 fare was incorrect. The other day someone asked for a single from Burnley to Manchester, and was sold a ticket that cost more than the Any Permitted ticket, despite the passenger taking a route that was clearly a permitted route. I didn't intervene as it took me too long to work out he had been overcharged, and I didn't tell him before he alighted either as he was on expenses so wouldn't have been bothered.

I don't blame the individual guards for that, it will be down to inadequate training.

I think you did the right thing, and I applaud you for doing so as well as the guard for accepting your proposal.

The passenger was unreasonable in not accepting it - there is nothing more you could have done.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The £109.60 fare was incorrect. The other day someone asked for a single from Burnley to Manchester, and was sold a ticket that cost more than the Any Permitted ticket, despite the passenger taking a route that was clearly a permitted route. I didn't intervene as it took me too long to work out he had been overcharged, and I didn't tell him before he alighted either as he was on expenses so wouldn't have been bothered.

I don't blame the individual guards for that, it will be down to inadequate training.

I don't know the details of your case of course, but do you think it is, or could it be because one naturally assumes that an Off-Peak product is cheaper than an Anytime one? Then again, if you don't even know how much a railcard is... Then again that does suggest poor training.

I think you did the right thing, and I applaud you for doing so as well as the guard for accepting your proposal.

Thank you. The guard and I were on good terms afterwards so it went much better than it might!

At the start, I think the passenger's stubbornness worked in his favour - if he'd given in to the guard and gotten off at Abergavenny... does it have ANY staff at that time of night?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At the start, I think the passenger's stubbornness worked in his favour - if he'd given in to the guard and gotten off at Abergavenny... does it have ANY staff at that time of night?
When it's time to close the ticket office, the station buildings (including toilets & waiting room) get locked up and the staff leave, so no.

And I am not sure if it's a good idea for a Guard to ask a passenger to leave a train at an unstaffed station and wait 1 hour late at night, perhaps one of the Guards on this forum can advise on whether that's permissible or not? Possibly fortunate for everyone concerned that didn't happen.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
And I am not sure if it's a good idea for a Guard to ask a passenger to leave a train at an unstaffed station and wait 1 hour late at night, perhaps one of the Guards on this forum can advise on whether that's permissible or not? Possibly fortunate for everyone concerned that didn't happen.

Three words spring to mind, namely "duty of care". Whilst Managers may have "turned a blind eye" to such actions in the days of "bad old BR", I would expect anyone engaging in them today woul almost certainly find themselves on the receiving end of disciplinary action.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Perhaps we should just be glad the guard didn't ask the passenger to leave at Pontypool & New Inn! They were in conversation when the guard left to open the doors there and came back. Among other errors, the guard said a few times 'There is a booking office at Abergavenny' - can on-train staff check things like opening times with equipment provided by ATW?

The train arrived at Abergavenny at 19:29. NRE, which isn't always dead on with this sort of thing, says it closes at 18:45.

PermitToTravel

Established Member

How does this change the issue at all?

Perhaps we should just be glad the guard didn't ask the passenger to leave at Pontypool & New Inn! They were in conversation when the guard left to open the doors there and came back. Among other errors, the guard said a few times 'There is a booking office at Abergavenny' - can on-train staff check things like opening times with equipment provided by ATW?

The train arrived at Abergavenny at 19:29. NRE, which isn't always dead on with this sort of thing, says it closes at 18:45.

They can obviously call ATW control to ask about the current state of the ticket office, and possibly if it is to close early today, but I doubt that they have access, via an internal intranet and their company issued mobile devices, or otherwise, to a more accurate list of opening times than is published on their public website / on NRE - if such a list existed, why would it not be published? They could of course check the public website or NRE, but as you say, this isn't likely to be a good indicator for ticket office opening times!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor

My thoughts exactly... I thought it might be prudent to leave out all personal details.

They can obviously call ATW control to ask about the current state of the ticket office, and possibly if it is to close early today, but I doubt that they have access, via an internal intranet and their company issued mobile devices, or otherwise, to a more accurate list of opening times than is published on their public website / on NRE - if such a list existed, why would it not be published? They could of course check the public website or NRE, but as you say, this isn't likely to be a good indicator for ticket office opening times!

I wasn't really thinking of some sort of special list, but more an internal update on staffing somewhere. Naturally a phone call could be made - and perhaps one was, I cannot say as the guard did return to the cab for some about 10 minutes before we arrived at Hereford. As I say the ticket office was well and truly closed. For his part all the 'Train Dispatcher' said was that he advised the UFN option. There would have been no time for the guard to endorse the advances either, so let's just hope whoever was at Hereford was capable of that, or the TPE guard might have taken issue with them too!

island

Veteran Member
Well to take a slightly ridiculous extreme, if the pax got off at Abergavenny which was shut up, he could conceivably have gotten back on the same train and bought a ticket at whatever discounted price, as he was starting from a station with no facilities!

IanD

Established Member

I suppose a lone female dumped at an unmanned station in the back of beyond (or anywhere for that matter) may be considered more vulnerable than a lone male.

Breakdown services certainly take this approach and will prioritise assistance for lone females.

transmanche

Established Member
Well to take a slightly ridiculous extreme, if the pax got off at Abergavenny which was shut up, he could conceivably have gotten back on the same train and bought a ticket at whatever discounted price, as he was starting from a station with no facilities!
Except for the ticket machine...?

Flamingo

Established Member
It is against the rulebook to chuck somebody off at an unmanned station.

It does sound like the passenger was well and truly dodging, though, and refusal to accept a UFN would have meant my (attempting to) get Revenue or BTP involved... (if I asked to see railcards any more).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor

What further discounts could be offered!? No Railcard to present, obviously, and I think the guard was under the impression they were selling a full range already! I've no idea if that's 'by the book' or not. For the Huddersfield ticket, Anytime is the only option for the route (via Manchester) and the incorrect route offered by the guard (not via London), the guard offered the off-peak and not Anytime fare, though as its XC there's only a few pounds difference.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yet you've identified the service and the date of the incident which would help to identify the staff member involved.

I wrote a few lines in my defence about this as part of my first reply, but then deleted them from it, thinking I would not need to justify this. I'm well aware that I have identified the train, and that's why I didn't give any more details. I thought that a reasonable risk given that its' highly relevant information that this was a penultimate service.

The biggest risk to me is what - embarrassment if that guard ever reads this? Something very similar has happened to me on here before actually.
(if I asked to see railcards any more).

Whatever reasons you have for this may well have contributed this problem, Flamingo? I know I've presented my railcard to the back of a guard's head before now - and it wasn't Flamingo's! Yet again, a lack of consistency in the approach, what you can get away with some places you can't get away with in others.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
The biggest risk to me is what - embarrassment if that guard ever reads this? Something very similar has happened to me on here before actually.

Well you're sort of saying that the guard didn't follow the rules. The biggest risk to you is nothing! But if the guard didn't follow the rules then that's a bigger risk to him no matter how good your intentions are, how much you praise him or on what good terms you left him.

You could have told the tale as if it happened "recently" without mentioning the specific date.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Well you're sort of saying that the guard didn't follow the rules. The biggest risk to you is nothing! But if the guard didn't follow the rules then that's a bigger risk to him no matter how good your intentions are, how much you praise him or on what good terms you left him.

You could have told the tale as if it happened "recently" without mentioning the specific date.

Indeed. A small oversight on my part. Besides, what ultimately transpired was not, I think, against the rules. Management are not going to take the word of a randomer on the internet that something against the rules might have happened - nay, been possible.

I would be very interested to hear what some of the more 'active' members and familiar with the rules (as I was not sure of this) would do if the passenger got up and left the train at Abergavenny. Stop them? Now that could put you on a collision course with the guard.

dvboy

Established Member
I don't understand why an UFN to Manchester was offered when the destination was Huddersfield. Chances are the passenger would have attempted to travel from Manchester to Huddersfield without paying anyway.

I also don't think someone who's traveled without their required railcard should have been be helped out with suggestions for split tickets. The savings made by using split tickets should be a reward for those who have invested time in finding them.

Last edited:

Squaddie

It does sound like the passenger was well and truly dodging, though, and refusal to accept a UFN would have meant my (attempting to) get Revenue or BTP involved... (if I asked to see railcards any more).
Are you really saying that you never ask to see the railcard where a passenger has presented a discounted ticket?

island

Veteran Member
I believe Flamingo has posted on other threads that he has been instructed by management not to challenge passengers with invalid tickets where it is likely to cause delays or customer service complaints.

IanD

Established Member
Indeed. A small oversight on my part. Besides, what ultimately transpired was not, I think, against the rules. Management are not going to take the word of a randomer on the internet that something against the rules might have happened - nay, been possible.

We're constantly being told that senior rail staff patrol these forums just waiting to pounce on any indiscretion :D

High Dyke

Established Member
It is against the rulebook to chuck somebody off at an unmanned station.
Is it?

Perhaps EMT will advise their guards of this next time they eject someone from the train at an unstaffed station... The most recent case being the said person tried to force their way into the adjacent signal box and assault the Network Rail signalman on duty, after going there out of all innoncence to ask the time of the next train.

The person had no ticket and no money, and got aggrieved when he found out the train he was ejected from was the last stopping train of the day, though subsequent trains pass through.

Flamingo

Established Member
Are you really saying that you never ask to see the railcard where a passenger has presented a discounted ticket?

Not any more, as my options are limited to saying "You need to buy a new ticket - you won't? O.k." and walking off, and I'm avoiding confrontations by not asking for them.

When I have some way of enforcing revenue, I'll go back to doing it.
Is it?

Perhaps EMT will advise their guards of this next time they eject someone from the train at an unstaffed station... The most recent case being the said person tried to force their way into the adjacent signal box and assault the Network Rail signalman on duty, after going there out of all innoncence to ask the time of the next train.

The person had no ticket and no money, and got aggrieved when he found out the train he was ejected from was the last stopping train of the day, though subsequent trains pass through.

That's exactly why it's in the rulebook. Never mind all the touchy-feely crap, the person ejected will only cause trouble,or start walking along the trainline, or something else equally stupid.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If they've genuinely forgotten it then they can get a refund of their new Anytime ticket, but if its expired, or they just don't have one, its a new ticket regardless.

They can ask for a refund, but most likely will be told to sod off. The Railcard must be shown and valid at the time of inspection. Some guards may falsely claim that the passenger will be refunded, whether out of a genuine belief or in order to avoid some aggro (RPIs are worse for this IME).

The exception is Crosscountry which I understand will routinely refund tickets in this scenario.

talltim

Established Member

Squaddie

Not any more, as my options are limited to saying "You need to buy a new ticket - you won't? O.k." and walking off, and I'm avoiding confrontations by not asking for them.
But shouldn't you at least be asking to see the railcard with the ticket? If passengers start to get the impression that carrying it is optional it's only going to cause more problems later.

While I appreciate that you have very little power to force someone to buy a ticket, I am astonished that the railway company puts its staff in this position. After a recent situation on London Midland, in which a dozen people in first class found to have standard tickets were politely asked to move into the correct area of the train (and this towards the end of a two-hour journey), I'm starting to think that the TOCs are actually encouraging a culture of fare evasion.

anthony263

Established Member
Except that young males are statistically more likely to be attacked (when outside the home)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/116352/hosb1210-chap3.pdf

That makes me feel confident especially since I was waiting in Cardiff Bus station on monday morning at 01:45 on my own for about 40 minutes or so til my coach arrived.

As for not carrying a railcard, I always check I have it with me and if I dont have it I will return home and travel on a later train or buy a ticket without a railcard discount.

Essexman

Established Member
Perhaps if all guards asked to see railcards people would be less likely to try getting away without buying one. I reckon it is between 5 - 10% of the time that I'm asked to show my Network Card.

I saw a similar incident on South West Trains on Wednesday when a passenger 'couldn't find' his YP Railcard. The guard made him pay the extra and when I spoke to him agreed with me that other guards should check railcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.