• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another overdistance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PW1954

I'm intending to travel from Southend to Worcester for the early May bank holiday weekend, travelling out on Thurs 3rd and returning on Mon 7th. I've chosen Worcester because it's the extent of network card validity - I'm going to cycle form Worcester to Builth Wells and back.

The normal monthly return is £57, becoming £37.60 on the NSE card. However, I've been advised by a cycling acquaintance that the first few miles out of Worcester are very unpleasant to cycle on and he's advised me to carry on to Malvern Link, outside the NSE zone by about 3 miles! This carries a return fare from Southend of £73.

I've noticed that for a monthly return without NSE card from Paddington to Malvern Link is only £1 more than the return to Malvern Link.

If I get an overdistance ticket to Malvern Link, what would I be expected to pay? And at what stage in my journey do I buy it?

Thanks in advance for replies!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You would pay either the single/return fare to cover the over-distance or an excess to the through fare (the difference between what you have paid and what you should have paid).

If you have an opportunity to buy before you board but you don't, you will only be offered the full Anytime Single fare. If you buy at you first opportunity it will be whichever is the cheaper.

If you had the £37.60 Network railcard discounted fare for Southend-Worcester, the excess would be £20.40 (there is a Super Off-Peak Return at £58 from Southend) or £35.40 (to the Off-Peak Return), the single would be £4.60 and a day return £5.40.

martinsh

Established Member
I'd buy a single / return Worcester - Malvern Link online from London Midland beforehand, as I suspect that fare would be included in the current online sale ! [ Collect from any station with TOD ]

wintonian

Established Member
Yep much better to buy an extra ticket in this case as otherwise you wouldn't end up getting the Network card discount on relevent part.

PW1954

Thanks for all your advice: I've had a good look at the OS map and there's a slightly circuitous route out of Worcester which avoids the really nasty roads so there's no need to overdistance. Even a couple of singles between Worcester and Malvern Link take away the bulk of the benefit of having the NSE card, and getting out a stop early (Pershore) leaves me with the problem of no bridge over the Severn between Worcester and Upton. Besides, the route I've chosen is a nice traffic-free ride beside the River Severn, followed by a circumnavigation of the Municipal Sewage Works, then a few minor roads.

Truly, a look at maps.google.com demonstrates how infested with motor vehicles the main roads out of Worcester are.

Status
Not open for further replies.