• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another Oyster on National Rail Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTChris

I heard spomeone mention that theres a 'maximum journey time' when using an Oyster Card.

By that, I mean you'll be charged something else if you're in the system for too longer period.

Is this true? And if so, how does it work?

The reason I ask is that, at stations with ticket gates where once I've touched out, I have to stay out till I touch in again, this could be problematic for filming the trains there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you are travelling all day taking photos/videos then a paper Travelcard would be your best bet.

Chris-P

If you are travelling all day taking photos/videos then a paper Travelcard would be your best bet.

Though if you speak to someone at the ticket office they refund you the extra (I had it happen with me, when I decided to get the DLR and spend a while in the 'system' rather than just go straight to my destination)

barrykas

Established Member
I heard spomeone mention that theres a 'maximum journey time' when using an Oyster Card.

By that, I mean you'll be charged something else if you're in the system for too longer period.

Is this true? And if so, how does it work?

Yup. There's a "base" minimum (depending on time of day and day of the week) with a further allowance for each zone you travel through. On top of that, certain stations have "Out of Station Interchange" pairings, giving you up to 40 minutes to make an onward connection (e.g. Victoria LU to NR).

Maximum journey times are as follows, and are based on when you touch in:
ATOC said:
  • Monday to Friday until 19.00:
    • 90 minutes for journeys wholly within Zone 1, Zone 2, Zones 1 & 2 and Zones 2 & 3
    • 70 minutes for journeys in any other single zone
    • Plus 10 minutes for each additional Zone travelled through
  • Monday to Friday after 19.00, and all day on Saturday:
    • 100 minutes for journeys wholly within Zone 1, Zone 2, Zones 1 & 2 and Zones 2 & 3
    • 77 minutes for journeys in any other single zone
    • Plus 11 minutes for each additional Zone travelled through, but rounded up to the next 5 minutes
  • Sunday:
    • 110 minutes for journeys wholly within Zone 1, Zone 2, Zones 1 & 2 and Zones 2 & 3
    • 84 minutes for journeys in any other single zone
    • Plus 12 minutes for each additional Zone travelled through, but rounded up to the next 5 minutes

Failure to touch out "in time" may incur an additional exit charge, even where this is due to service disruption. This can only officially be cancelled by the Oyster helpdesk.

Cheers,

Barry

HSTChris

Mght be what I'll have to do, but most of the time I end up waiting around unstaffed stations or ones without barriers, so I could just touch out, stay there, and touch in again before I leave.

Does anyone know what the time limit is though?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks @barrykas for posting your message whilst I was writing mine, you have answered my question :)
Also, does anyone know how much the extra charge is? (Sorry for posting 3 things in a row mods).

barrykas

Established Member
Also, does anyone know how much the extra charge is? (Sorry for posting 3 things in a row mods).

Depends on the journey, but potentially it could be £4.30 (Off-Peak) or £6.00 (Peak).

barrykas

Established Member
Ahh ok, I thought it might be of penalty fare kind of size lol! Thats a good thing then.

Nope...Though it should be noted that if you get checked and haven't touched in within the zones, you would be liable to a Penalty Fare.

Cheers,

Barry

HSTChris

Used the system today and it worked very well! Also had my first London bus ride, I like the iBus thing they have :D

Status
Not open for further replies.