• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another priv question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
Afternoon. :)

The straight forward bit: I'm wanting to head from London, up north to Bolton this weekend. Leaving anytime Saturday 20th (though ideally arriving around 15.00hrs) and coming south again on Sunday 21st around midday from Bolton.

Ideally I need to get off at Blackrod on the outward leg if possible. I assumed that to give me flexibility, the best ticket for this would be the off peak return from London Euston (or Tottenham Hale, my nearest station) to Blackrod, as I could then just get on at Bolton on Sunday.

The prices (before priv) are:
£77.50 off peak return from TOM - BLK
£74.20 off peak return from EUS - BLK

However, when I tried to buy my tickets this afternoon the ticketing system would not apply my staff priv discount to these tickets. The nice man in the ticket office tried it with starting from both Euston or Tottenham Hale but neither would let it accept the discount. He said he didn't know why it wouldn't discount the tickets and could only suggest I went to try and buy them at Euston instead (which wasn't convenient at the time).

I'm guessing there is a simple reason for this, though being new to the railway industry I don't know what it is and wondered if someone could explain if possible. The only thing I can think is that it's maybe this is because it's the off peak return not the open return? If this is the case then I could stipulate leaving at a certain time for both journeys but am guessing that it wouldn't give me discount on two singles either?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Priv discounts are, I believe, only available on Anytime tickets.

jscho84233

Im not entirely sure, someone will correct me soon if I'm wrong, but I believe that priv discounts can only be used for anytime tickets.

EDIT: Damn! Beaten to it by seconds!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Priv discounts aren't valid on Off-Peak tickets etc, only Anytimes, some rovers / rangers and 1 month plus season tickets.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Priv Anytime Return TOM-BLK is £81.00 (priced by Virgin, so there's a very large difference between the Anytime and Off Peak) so you're better off with the Off Peak Return for your itinerary. Break of Journey is allowed on both outbound and return legs.

W230

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I suspected as much.

When I look at the anytime return it comes up with £316. Is that right?! I know I would only pay 25% of that but it's not going to be much cheaper than driving (or even just getting two advance singles at full price).

Maybe the best option then is for me to date a box and take First Hull from King's Cross to Doncaster, FTPE from there to Manchester Piccadilly and then buy a ticket from Piccadilly to Blackrod.

Going to be a much longer (slower) way round I think though. Can anyone give me a better idea?

Edit: Sorry LexyBoy - just seen your reply. Appreciated

GadgetMan

If you don't mind traveling on slower trains;

London Midland only priv Anytime Return Euston - Crewe £19.75

Crewe to Blackrod Priv Anytime Return £3.90

Total = £23.65

Outward Journey:

09:46 Euston - Crewe 12:38
13:11 Crewe - Stockport 13:36
13:41 Stockport - Salford Crescent 14:04
14:30 Salford Crescent - Blackrod 14:52.

You'll have to check return times depending on time you want to travel on Sunday. Obviously you'd be limited to London Midland services only Crewe to London.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I take it you get free travel on Firstgroup TOCs? If that's the case then you're certainly going to be best off by using Hull Trains and TPE, if you don't mind the longer journey (probably no slower than the LM option).

When I look at the anytime return it comes up with £316. Is that right?!

It's priced by Virgin who have some of the most expensive Anytime fares. Not that the other TOCs are that much cheaper...

W230

Established Member
Much appreciated Gadgetman. I'd not considered London Midland. I'd actually forgotten about them if i'm honest! :oops:

I've had another look and I think I might end up going KGX to Doncaster then taking a FTPE to Manchester Piccadilly and another on to Bolton, finishing with a Northern service from Bolton to Blackrod. It's around an hour shorter than the LM service I think.

I can do most of the journey on one of my First priv box thingies and it should only use one box in total (I understand) as it's within the 50 hours.

Edit: Sorry Lexyboy - just seen your reply again. Yep you're right Firstgroup. I really should type my replies quicker! :lol:

I'm told that we can also use East Coast services for leisure, gratis at weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.