• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another question about Platform assistants

Status
Not open for further replies.

wessexen

I thought I'll update the thread as you can probably guess, a week after the interview, I've heard this much:

" "

So at the moment, I am just a bit worried, I've emailed my recruiter and got this response:

" "

So, I'm wondering what to do next. My concern is that if I ring them to find out, then I get the answerphone and I do not like to answer to answer phones (as I do not know what to say and besides, I'm also worried that what I may say, could be broadcasted in the office! - Ok, so I have a tiny confidence issue.)

Any ideas of the next step? Its fine if I knew, then I could ask questions but when you don't know, its hard to work out what to do or even second guess things. Again, I would appreciate the feedback :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Hi Wessexen - words missing from quotation marks, so slightly difficult to advise. However, 2 thoughts:

1 = write down what you want to say so that you have something to prompt you or to read from (trying to sound natural) when you speak to either a person or an answer phone
2 = if the phone goes to answer phone and you feel uncomfortable at the idea of talking to it, just hang up before you hear the beep.

wessexen

I shouldn't say this, but I eventually bit the bullet with the answer machine and it only gave me 5 seconds.......! Unless my iphone played up. (Use the Nokia next time I think!)

And my god, I've never been soo nervous in my life on the phone, its bad enough I have got Asperger's Syndrome and worried about screwing up my chances, but I guess rail recruitment departments may not understand that, which is fair play as AS affect people differently.

.. Unless everything is silent because of Easter. Still, I try to be polite, understanding and sincere with communications and I don't like being pushy, so I am hoping it all counts for me, not against (Probably determined by the sounds of things).

Clip

Established Member
One week isnt long - you dont know how many days worth of interviews they had lined up so just be patient and dont panic about things over Easter. Have a nice time and if you hear nothing by next friday then give them a ring.

Dont fret - as they say - no news is good news.

wessexen

Dont fret - as they say - no news is good news.

IT was all bad news :(

I got an email today with this:

"Thank you for attending the interview for the position of Platform Assistant Chichester.

Unfortunately, I regret to inform you have not been successful in your application for this position. I would like to thank you for the time and effort you put in to the interview. "

TBH, I am quite shocked and upset if I am honest, but I wish I knew earlier.
If I am honest, I wish I could of gone into the job, but it does make me feel, what do I do now? Suggestions?

I've already asked for feedback and asked for other positions, because I've done all this work and its amounted to nothing in the end.

Sparks169

wessexen, It's not amounted to nothing. It's all experience.

I must say you are very passionate about wanting a position in the industry. I work for Southern and they are a great company to work for.

Don't think that it is something you are doing wrong or that there was anything wrong with your interview at all, interviewers have to look at who they feel is most suitable for the job and who they think really wants the job and who will be reliable for them.

Confidence and experience isn't what it's all about, in all honesty the candidates who applied for my position (Ticket Office) were all big-headed, over-confident people who had years of experience in the railway even pre-privatisation. Some had been in management and head office of alot of other TOCs. Where as I only had a few years experience working through an agency. But I ultimately got the job over them for whatever reasons they saw me as the most suitable candidate and was passionate about the job.

The trouble is that alot of people are turning to railway jobs at the moment because of the benefits and job security etc, that interviewing managers have a tough job on their hands to choose the best candidate out of many who give good interviews.

All I will say is that there are always job vacancies on the railway, and failing to obtain a position a couple of times is not a bad thing, it is all experience. Ultimately interviewing managers will look for honesty, reliability, flexibility and passion. A small amount of confidence is key in order to hold it together during an interview, but too much is guaranteed to fail you.

Expressing a passion for customer service, team work, innovation, reliability and honesty are a big plus. If you know the station or depot your applying for, do some research and give them specific reasons why you have chosen that area. Visit the station/depot before your interview, speak with some of the staff and get an idea of what it's like to work there. You can then say you have done this in the interview and this shows enthusiasm, passion and effort. Not that you just want any old job on the railway, be specific to what your applying for and why you want to be there.

I sincerely hope you persevere with this and I have no doubt you will be a fantastic asset to the area you join!

The best of luck to you!

wessexen

wessexen, It's not amounted to nothing. It's all experience.

I must say you are very passionate about wanting a position in the industry. I work for Southern and they are a great company to work for.

Don't think that it is something you are doing wrong or that there was anything wrong with your interview at all, interviewers have to look at who they feel is most suitable for the job and who they think really wants the job and who will be reliable for them.

Confidence and experience isn't what it's all about, in all honesty the candidates who applied for my position (Ticket Office) were all big-headed, over-confident people who had years of experience in the railway even pre-privatisation. Some had been in management and head office of alot of other TOCs. Where as I only had a few years experience working through an agency. But I ultimately got the job over them for whatever reasons they saw me as the most suitable candidate and was passionate about the job.

The trouble is that alot of people are turning to railway jobs at the moment because of the benefits and job security etc, that interviewing managers have a tough job on their hands to choose the best candidate out of many who give good interviews.

All I will say is that there are always job vacancies on the railway, and failing to obtain a position a couple of times is not a bad thing, it is all experience. Ultimately interviewing managers will look for honesty, reliability, flexibility and passion. A small amount of confidence is key in order to hold it together during an interview, but too much is guaranteed to fail you.

Expressing a passion for customer service, team work, innovation, reliability and honesty are a big plus. If you know the station or depot your applying for, do some research and give them specific reasons why you have chosen that area. Visit the station/depot before your interview, speak with some of the staff and get an idea of what it's like to work there. You can then say you have done this in the interview and this shows enthusiasm, passion and effort. Not that you just want any old job on the railway, be specific to what your applying for and why you want to be there.

I sincerely hope you persevere with this and I have no doubt you will be a fantastic asset to the area you join!

The best of luck to you!

Thank you for the kind words, it its admittedly very helpful, the thing I don't understand is that I got a job at Brighton which to me was incredibly easy although for some reason, it never happened. One position I didn't get considered for and I know why I think, distance, then this, etc.

The good news, since my last update, I've gone and applied for other roles, at the moment, I've had another interview with Southern (Telephone) for a "Olympic Customer Care Assistant", which caught my sister and myself out, which I subsequently passed. Interestingly, I was told I failed the application to begin with, but with an email dispatch to someone, I told later I passed (as they couldn't see why.)

I've also cheekily used my mums address (because my parents are divorced, they both live at separate addresses, well, 20 miles from each other) and I've applied at Soton Central and I don't know if I should also apply for another position, but I have a near complete application for Graduate management, because I did got to university and get a degree, it doesn't specify what, so I thought I'll try it.

What I found is that I am getting considered, which is very good news because I am doing something right (is it because I am more like a book author when writing out my applications and making best use of the 4000 character limit? Or is it because I can explain myself better on paper than in person?). But the interviews are a different question.

As my helper and myself both thought, nothing could go wrong, until it does. We both thought I would have a standing chance because of the effort and work put into the pre planning stages. Well, the folder is the thickest for any client on their books and that's in half a year.
Still, I've been offered feedback, which is good, but whatever I did, I have not made the same mistake, so I think it maybe because accidently (due to AS), I may of sounded too big headed and overly confident, mainly because I had a number of advantages I feel, like living just over 1.5 miles away, unless someone knows the exact distanced from Fishbourne(Sussex) to Chichester which is easily walkable, despite the fact I use a car most of the time these days!

Maybe because we ended up talking mostly about trains... even I was trying to stop that because I really wanted to express my interest in the position.

Now, here is a thought for you, I applied for a position about 1 and a half miles from me and failed badly. I've also applied for a position about 23.4 miles away (Google maps!), over an hour's travelling time at the worst time of the day (Got to deal with 2 bottle necks on the A27, Aurndel and Worthing), for a temporary position in Worthing that looks to be quite similar in some aspects especially for the assessments (both I've done already!) and I passed an interview.....

how does that work!?

Clip

Established Member
I never saw your reply about the rejection so sorry to hear about that.

Its very difficult to tell you where you may be going wrong because each interviewer is looking for a certain something and no matter how much you plan and no matter what you prepare for before hand its all really down to the interviewer - and even then they just may have liked someone better who may have a little bit more experience then you have.

I will say one thing though - Do not change your address when applying for the same company. To me this looks like you are being devious and underhand because you think it may give you a btter chance if they dont think its you again.

No one minds how many times you apply for jobs but if you keep getting rejected then maybe the railway just isnt for you and you should look for another channel to go down with your career. Not nice to say this but whilst on the one hand you seem keen and eager to work withing in the industry but on the other hand it comes accross as far to eager to please and maybe this is what came accross in your interview - things like this could well turn your interviewer off you. Short and to the point is what I like and if I feel someone is going on too long with an answer then i start to get bored and picture what they would be like at work.

Being chatty is great in a CS role but it also comes with its own problem when staff spend aan awful amount of time chatting to each other and not getting on with their job. Try and work on that aspect and make sure you prepare and know when your talking too much so that you can reign it in.

But good luck with everything once again.

wessexen

I will say one thing though - Do not change your address when applying for the same company.

I did that for one reason, there are 2 people with the same initials here and plus the post is known to be unreliable, so that's why. Its even better when the mail goes to my dad and not me (because of that initials problem). I should of said that the position is with SWT and the last application I had, the letter didn't arrive here anyway. (And yes, I did try to chase it!)
Its a bit odd really and I don't know why.

And as to my message earlier, they've offered me a face to face feedback session.. that I am surprised as I always thought they would send me a list of items saying "this is what you did wrong, this is how I recommend you "should" do it in the future."

Sparks169

And as to my message earlier, they've offered me a face to face feedback session.. that I am surprised as I always thought they would send me a list of items saying "this is what you did wrong, this is how I recommend you "should" do it in the future."

Yes, I don't know about other TOCs but Southern will offer you a face to face feedback session on your application and interview. They are usually very helpful and you can get to know what they are looking for and how to better approach the interview next time around.

Clip

Established Member
I did that for one reason, there are 2 people with the same initials here and plus the post is known to be unreliable, so that's why. Its even better when the mail goes to my dad and not me (because of that initials problem). I should of said that the position is with SWT and the last application I had, the letter didn't arrive here anyway. (And yes, I did try to chase it!)
Its a bit odd really and I don't know why.

Thats good of them to give you face to face feedback - though I dont remember them doing that for me when I last went for a job with them. But listen and note down what they say then use that to work on your future interviews.

wessexen

Yes, I don't know about other TOCs but Southern will offer you a face to face feedback session on your application and interview. They are usually very helpful and you can get to know what they are looking for and how to better approach the interview next time around.

You are right and when I first went in, I must be honest, I was expecting it to be pretty pretty bad and all my faults showed up. When I got the feedback it was more the opposite. In fact, very very encouraging, which is a lot lot better. The only reason why, its because I didn't give my evidence clear on 2 examples of how I resolved a situation and the voluntary workplace I work in is a particular example. If I used one situation at University (where I sort of lead a group by example to encourage the group to work, which it did), then I probably would of passed by miles! I also need to change some of my examples as well.

As it was, I failed only by 2.5 points, that's what I was told, however, when you have got competition THIS fierce, that matters. What is also helpful is that my helper is also working with the manager so that may be really helpful.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Thats really good that they let you know what it was you failed on and how. Now work at that and im sure you will get onto the railway very soon.

wessexen

Thats really good that they let you know what it was you failed on and how. Now work at that and im sure you will get onto the railway very soon.

Its the same old "I think I failed badly" upon hearing the bad news. When I WS told the margin, it really did put things into perspective.

The interesting bit is, on Monday night (7/5), I had one of those interview question sort of problem of "When have you had trouble putting your point across? Well m supervisor and correcting him about motors and hoovers, especially how they work. Then driving home, I was like "Damm!" as I hit the steering wheel. If I used an example from around December when I eventually succeeded and explain how I solved the issue myself, I would of got it. I'll explain in another post when I am not using a touch screen keyboard if anyone wants.

Clip

Established Member
Ahh try not to beat yourself up about missed opportunities like that - we all have them and think the same but those are the things that you learn by and which hopefully will help you in your next application with which ever TOC you go for.

Keep your chin up and you'll get there :)

wessexen

Thank you for your kind words. I went to South West Trains in Southampton today (they've moved from Basingstoke) for an assessment as a gateline assistant and passed that with no trouble, but there were 15(!) of us assessed and passed. So its a case of 15-to-1. I'm hoping my story on this thread will not only be helpful to me, but hopefully, much more helpful to others as well.

I shouldn't say this, but one person there was an ex manager and a few candidates (not sure how many) were there because they want 'a job'. Nothing, but 'a job.' To be honest, I hate to say this, but I don't think having a job shows that much enthusiasm and this is why.

If I put myself in a recruiters shoes, a recruiter will want these things ideally:
  • Someone who is flexible
  • Someone who is reliable
  • Someone who is enthusiastic and willing to learn
  • Someone that can DO the job.
If you show that in the application form and the interview, then I think you are on for a winner. I do understand that point 4 is very hard to do sometimes. You may well be capable of doing the job, but getting that across to the interviewer is sometimes much more difficult.

I think this is why I am getting the assessments and thus the interviews, because I put a lot of effort into what I do. I'd rather go for a job I'll enjoy and I want to apply for than one I have no chance in getting and I know everyone is going to say "yeah, but those on JSA need to apply for anything", true to a degree, but if you apply for something that you are enthusiastic about and if you are realistic about it (like applying for an experienced computer programmer on a GCSE E grades in Maths, English and Science straight after leaving school is hardly realistic), then you are probably a lot more likely to get the job.

Maybe I should correct our politicians about the job situation, because personally, if I was a recruiter, I'd look for those points above, regardless of what their interests are, although I'd probably be slightly biased to the rail enthusiasts. Although, I'd also be asking a few questions about their interests to keep them on their toes, but I try to live in a perfect world, which this place is far from perfect.

Disclaimer: This is a personal opinion expressed by the author, if you would like to discuss the authors opinion or even argue it, you are more than welcome to talk to the author in private.

Some facts may not be accurate and true to life.

Candidates aside and the awkward moment of silence when there was a crowd of us (I was naturally stuck on one of my laptops!), while later trying to help the competition and give him some tips which naturally probably didn't work, although I think he surprised himself because assessments are not the easiest things to do. Oh while on assessments, my tips about anything involving accuracy, do as much as you can, that's what they tell you to do, BUT prefer accuracy over time, even if it means answering half the page. I only answered (just over!) half the questions on both assessments I did and pass it. But think to yourself "my target is all the questions with 100% accuracy."

Its easy said than done, especially in 8 minutes! Now 40+ questions in 8 minutes to answer while having enough time to read them is pressure, lots of it!

Finally, talk to people in the waiting room! If you do, it relaxes the atmosphere and if you are a comedian, it certainty helps. :) I'm not however, although I looked at one of the points about dress code "Unnatural hair colours." Well, look how wild and unnatural mine is. I'm a true copper top and it really does look like someone has taken a can of brasso and a dirty rag to my head in sunlight!

EDIT: Oh yes, I was waiting for a question about my signature. Its a Class 502 if you haven't guessed in Southern Coastway livery and yes, I openly admit I build 3D models of trains on the computer, which believe me, what a huge amount of research was required, just to do that VERY carriage! Now, shall I paint it in South West Trains livery and have a destie at one end that says "LYMINGTON PIER" and "BROCKENHURST" at the other end?

Clip

Established Member
I shouldn't say this, but one person there was an ex manager and a few candidates (not sure how many) were there because they want 'a job'. Nothing, but 'a job.' To be honest, I hate to say this, but I don't think having a job shows that much enthusiasm and this is why.

If I put myself in a recruiters shoes, a recruiter will want these things ideally:
  • Someone who is flexible
  • Someone who is reliable
  • Someone who is enthusiastic and willing to learn
  • Someone that can DO the job.
If you show that in the application form and the interview, then I think you are on for a winner. I do understand that point 4 is very hard to do sometimes. You may well be capable of doing the job, but getting that across to the interviewer is sometimes much more difficult.

First bit first - Lots of people want jobs just to have a job. Its very hard out there as you well know and lots of people apply for the railways in this climate who dont really want to work on it but they understand that its a job first and foremost and for the benefits that they may get out of it. Its not a job for life anymore but there is much security in it. Its just a fact of life that people are going for anything they think they can do because they need either a job or a better more secured job then they have right now.

point 4 is very hard to show, but if you have experience in a customer facing role then you have pretty much covered that issue straight away. The role of a CSA is pretty much that which anyone from a till worker to a shelf stacker to one of the 'chuggers' on the streets could do(im not deriding the job here) as long as you can show you have the experience of face 2 face contact in your experience and other jobs you have it covered.

But keep plugging away and pop back and let us know how you have got on. Ive enjoyed reading your posts and conversing with you.

And good luck with SWT :D

wessexen

But keep plugging away and pop back and let us know how you have got on. Ive enjoyed reading your posts and conversing with you.

And good luck with SWT :D

Thats all you can do, even with the fact that I am just experiencing recruitment to jobs which yes, I agree is hard, I also like to help others. As I pointed out to someone earlier, just because you failed one assessment, its not the end of the world. 6 months out, work on that 6 months, come back and hit them in the mouth with your answers. :)

Yes, we all get upset and taken back sometimes, in jobs and relationships (more so for some of us because we can't converse normally), but get feedback like I did when I went for the Olympic Customer Care Assistant and for the Platform Assistant at Chichester, find out your weaknesses and turn them into strengths. If you feel you won't get anywhere, ask for help, I did and luckily, I got some help. You aren't expected to be a mind reader. If you show the "second to none enthusiasm", they may well help you.

Back to assessments, if all else fails, with Southern I know of, your assessment results are valid for 5 years! Make the most of them, you worked hard to achieve what you did, if you don't you loose it. Keep applying again and again, it doesn't matter about the interviews, unless you are applying for a role like driving and so to speak, put your foot down on yourself.

And most of all, don't give up and don't burn yourself out while doing it. Just sit back and think "Can I do this job?", "Can I get to this job?", "How can I sell myself to this company?". And by get to this job, I'd say 30 minutes to an hour, it depends on the position, safety critical, always think "30 minutes", non safety critical, 1 hour. Interestingly, I applied for a position in Brighton and I looked up if I could do it in an hour, the answer was "Yes - just, with 60 seconds to spare!" and I don't mean "I can do it if I put my foot to the floor", the last thing you want to do is go "flash, flash, "Oh dear, I got 3 points on my licence"."

wessexen

I guess everyone wants to know how I got on with South West Trains and Southern, right?

Southern:
Not much progress really, the OCCT seems to of gone quiet despite emailing people about update.
OTOH, I do have a "mock interview" on the 12th of June which regardless what happens, I am going for it, so I know where my weaknesses are. Its always helpful asking for help.

South West Trains:
Had an interview last Thursday but I was ill (cold - or suspect, maybe slightly worse) for it. I turned up ill as well, which was the worst thing to do, I know, however, because of the timings, I felt I could not cancel it and annoy the managers, so I attempted it and used what I learnt from the previous interview for this one. Plus I got stuck in a 6ft by 6ft interview room which was lovely in the summer heat and I was armed with 2 bottles of coke. A little problem I had, I was trying soo hard not to appear rude, because I was on my computer when I was called and I had to some how shut it off. Not easy when you are waiting. Still, SWT livered Class 502 anyone? I painted my model like that before the interview and it looks great on it, to me.

That is sort of a learning process for me as well, I won't try that again, the computer goes off about 5 minutes before the interview and that's it.

Graduate management, surprisingly, much to my shock, I actually passed the screening! I rang up and asked at the same time I was asking about the other position. Its good I've been offered an interview for gateline as when I go for graduate management, it becomes useful information for me, to try and increase my score.

What I found interesting is that SWT and Southern use pretty much the same technique for interviews, you get given a series of questions, which you have to explain a situation or what you would do then give them an example of a situation where you have applied this and I believe you are scored on your answers. One I felt was pretty similar to what I was asked with Southern, which was "When have you had a difficult conversation with someone?" which was with Southern "When did you have difficulties putting your point across?". At the moment, I shouldn't say this, but I seem to have a few conversations with my supervisor over small bits and pieces. Now I've not heard anything from the interview as of yet, so it will be interesting to hear what my scores are like, whether I miss out by 2.5 points (yet again) or not.

Although thinking of a question I should of answered in a different way, "Why do you want this job?" to which my answer should of been "Independence!". Its a bit complicated to explain without risking myself, to put it in a nutshell and something I've put on my appraisal form for my current workplace "I feel very constrained", because they will never let me work without a supervisor or with a friend who happens to be a colleague! I only suffer from AS, nothing more, I am not that vulnerable. That is a different story altogether and best left for PM.

wessexen

Another small update:

"25/04/2012 Gateline Assistant - Southampton Central Rejected"

And I've already emailed and asked why I was rejected, I bet you because I was ill and didn't cancel. I should put money on that. Its another blow but funny enough, I really don't care, I really need to put my foot down and go "sod groveling over it, make myself more appealing next time."
I'm curious about my score though, if I've done better than 2.5 points between myself and the person that got it, I'd be really really happy.

Clip

Established Member
Ahh sorry to here about that wessexen - but keep plugging away and never turn up poorly again. I know you meant well but its not a good look ;)

As for answering 'Why do you want this job' I dont even think saying 'Independance' is a good answer either.

Try and work out an answer that shows that even though you have AS you want to get on a good career path and ensure that you disability is not a hinderance to you getting on in life. Something like that anyway. Show it in a positive for the role itself that you are going for.

And good luck once again.

MR_P

Hi Wessexen,

As clip says keep trying. FCC are advertising for some roles that may be of interest to you. Part time though if that's any good. In my local paper too so they probably want a few.

wessexen

Another update, I got this from SWT today and I did say I wasn't expecting a lot:

Thank you for your application for the above position.

I regret to inform you that you have not been successful on this occasion.
We are unable to provide individual feedback however we would like to thank you for the time and interest you have shown in applying for this position. We wish you the best for the future.

Yours sincerely

Now heres the big question, firstly, why? I don't know becase as it says, unable to provide individual feedback, secondly, can I reapply now for any position or do I have to wait until 6 months has passed? Hmm, I think a call is in order.

EDIT: As for OCCT from Southern, still not had anything but I think my luck is out on that too, because they are having other issues with candidates and roles. It does make me wonder, whats the next move? Suggestions?

EDIT: I saw my disablity work advisor today (I have 2, one from the National Autistic Society and one from a local organisation) and the one from NAS is interested in getting some voluntary work on the railways with 3 TOCs, 2 of them I have provided the contacts details to. Another really big annoyance is I should of got this letter eariler and I had to search for it really. The title is:
"Work Trials: Try it yourself".
Basically meaning, if you are on benefits or the like, you can apply for one of these things and then produce the leaflet (I think we can call it) which allows me 12 weeks unpaid(!) employment and the government may even pay my expenses (IIRC). So it allows them to see how I would cope in the enviroment. I think thay may be the leaverage I need.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Sorry to hear that on both counts fella with regards to not getting the role's you were going for.

And I dont want to sound mean but with regards as to what to do now the one thing I would suggest is to maybe look at another avenue for a career. I know its not what you want to hear and I know from our conversations that working on the railway is what you want to do but it appears that those who interview you do not think that this is the right job for you - for whatever reason - I cannot give that answer. I think with Southern you have to wait 6 months before you can apply again - I forget but you can always ask./

But maybe look for something else and focus your skills on that instead because by keep getting knocked back for the same jobs over and over isnt going to do your self confidance much good in the long run and soon they may just stop answering your applications and refusing to shortlist you for interviews.

Though I must say that the 'work trials' thing sounds great and maybe you can get your NAS contact to put you forward to a TOC who is participating in ti - im not sure off the top of me head if any are but fingers crossed Southern or SWT would be interested so you can show them that you can do the job.

wessexen

Time for an update, I know I have been dormant in this thread for a very long time, life suddently got a lot busier and I am now on a work experience with a games company.

I got some feedback from South West Trains after 4 months from the date of the interview and I found out where I went wrong. The bits they are concerned about is customer service and lone working. I've taken up the issue with my current line manager and spoke to him to see if they can help, if I was staying a bit longer then yes, but as of current they don't know so are unable to train me further which I thought, I know what will happen, "S*ds law, I'll be trained and then get a full time job."

But thats not the end of it, I was approached by someone 2 weeks ago, asking me if a rumor was true that I could be working for Southern, I said then "not as far as I know of, unfortunately. (Unless they knew something I didn't)". So I got an email today which I was really suprised about saying that something could be organised.

Now everyone knows me by name. Only because if you ever met me, I have 2 features, firstly I am tall, secondly, I'm a natural redhead, which my first name goes nicely with.

So, watch this space and it goes nicely with the phrase:
"If you don't suceed, try and try again."

EDIT: Oh yeah, OCCT, that never happened and I have an idea why, its not Southerns fault (and that doesn't reflect at all on my application), but since it was around the time something happened, it gets you thinking. I'll leave you to think up of the 2 letters and a number.

wessexen

Since I cannot update my original thread (Closed), and looking around, I can't find a moderator to reopen the thread, I thought I'll add to my story of recruitment, the original thread can be seen here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61349&page=4

And since I last updated that thread, a lot has changed and I've now got employment in the railway industry, FINALLY! But, its temporary employment, but its a good start.

In November 2012, as I last updated, I did start a work experience program for 4 weeks with Southern, that included such as vast array of duties, I often overstayed my 2 hour timeslot! (What? I enjoyed it that much!), this included dealing with the customer service environment (cleaning, helping customers, working with others, lone working, etc) and that was all organised as part of the National Autisitic Society, which was really really useful to me, I couldn't be more grateful to them. Sadly the program I am on is coming to an end, but it was great while it lasted.

Afterwards, I waited for a while (as I started a job with West Sussex County Council at the same time and more changes in my life), to see if anything interesting turned up. Something did, invited for an interview at Brighton depot (had done the assessment), thought I had it as I had questions I was not asked before (Salary questions, my first rota, notice period), but apparently failed it due to issues of support. The overall view is the depot was too chaotic, but there is a really ironic twist to this!

Next up, I was suggested to apply for a position in East Croydon, was the only external candidate that day (I really didn't think I was going to be offered an assessment), and failed the assessment by not a lot, this was for a short term planner and I knew I was going to fail the assessment. However, it wasn't because of what I thought, my mathermatics. It was my checking that I failed on.

Next day, I looked on the Job Centre Plus site, applied for a job in Haslemere which was part time and temporary.. oh and an agency, sent my CV off, thought nothing of it and the next day (after the bank holiday as it was the last May bank holiday), I had rather an enthusiastic call from the guy that ran the agency. So, 4 calls(!) later and my then girlfriend, now ex had to answer them as I was driving most of the time. That meant I had to find a layby as soon as I could. At 17:00 at the end of the day, I was asked to go to Guildford for training. I did, asked a few questions (worked on them? Yes. Ever been passed out? No. Never worked the gateline on my own but I've done it. Know the difference between off peak/peak/super off peak? Yes, I remember from Bognor!).

Did my Cubic training and passed the assessment, then I was plonked straight in Haslemere on my own! And its stayed like that as I write this now. In fact, I honestly didn't think I'll make it the first week, but week by week, my hours have increased gradually, much to my surprise. Now, if anyone has ever worked the gateline, you know how chaotic it can get. Now you see why working in a depot and being refused a position for support is a bit of an ironic twist?

The day I wrote this post, I also had the most interesting day on the gateline and my aim? Support the customer as much as possible, I also learnt a new skill while at it, but also was quite scared of the backlash. Obviously, I'm being deliberately sketchy of the details, because I want to keep the job and maximise my potential future. And so far, I've now got my foot in the door, where will I go next? It depends what happens.

So, after 3 1/2 years after I applied for my first job on the railways (and almost got there.) I finally started working for the railways! And I hope my story is an inspiration to someone.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Since I cannot update my original thread (Closed), and looking around, I can't find a moderator to reopen the thread, I thought I'll add to my story of recruitment, the original thread can be seen here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61349&page=4

Done - for reference requests like this can be made by using the report post option, or at the bottom of the home page there link to View Forum Leaders

On the subject of the thread, great news on the job front - always great to hear a good news update! :D

Monty

Established Member
And since I last updated that thread, a lot has changed and I've now got employment in the railway industry, FINALLY! But, its temporary employment, but its a good start

Well done mate, now you just need to focus on building your confidence and get as much experience as possible. You should be able to turn that temporary placement into something more permanent! Keep checking SWTs recruitment page, they have been trying to recruit a fair few CSAs and ROs lately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.