• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another rail operator in Germany using clapped out old rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanP

These don't really represent new services, in my opinion. It's just the previous Locomore and Hamburg-Köln-Express operations, rescued by FlixBus and operating under their brand.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
These don't really represent new services, in my opinion. It's just the previous Locomore and Hamburg-Köln-Express operations, rescued by FlixBus and operating under their brand.

Will be interesting to see what they make of them.

One thing I find interesting is that these open-access operations in Germany are typically outside the DB ticketing system, while in the UK they always join ORCATS. I wonder what difference that makes to viability.

while in the UK they always join ORCATS. I wonder what difference that makes to viability.

Quite a bit! In the UK, ORR effectively requires that open access operators are part of the overall ticketing system although they would all join voluntarily if that was an option. This effectively gives them some base income (at least until a competitor successfully challenges the allocations), reducing business risk considerably. In Germany, you get only the revenue that you sell. End of!

JonathanP

HKX actually did have a contract with DB Regio for mutual acceptance of tickets for a while, but they withdrew from it, I believe because they found their services were becoming overcrowded by DB customers.

It doesn't really make sense to talk about the "DB ticketing system". DB Regio and DB Fernvekehr(long distance) have completely different fare structures, and in almost all regional trains tickets from the local tariff associations will be valid, so for any given DB Regio train you might have bought your ticket from any one of 3 different people, according to 3 different fare structures, 2 of which can be changed at any time by Deutsche Bahn according to their commercial decisions.

The area where the "being part of DB" concept makes more sense is that the Deutsch Bahn journey planner is the de-facto national rail journey planner/ticket vendor for rail services in Germany, but will not sell tickets for these services, only display the timetable. However, FlixBus now has a near monopoly on long distance bus services, so a vast number of people are going every day to the FlixBus website, where they will be presented with these services alongside all the bus results.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
HKX actually did have a contract with DB Regio for mutual acceptance of tickets for a while, but they withdrew from it, I believe because they found their services were becoming overcrowded by DB customers.

The Wochenendticket, Quer-Durchs-Land-Ticket and Laender-Tickets were probably the main issue as they are on many DB Regio services.

U-Bahnfreund

I used the Locomore once, when it was still independent, and I found it really nice. The coaches are not worse than what DB uses on many IC services. Also, Flixtrain will not stay with these two routes, but I think they will increase the frequency and also run on more routes, Locomore already planned introducing Berlin–Ruhr and Berlin–Rügen services.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suspect they're former eastern european stock, like Alex

Or ex-DB. Full-drop leanable windows were standard UIC spec for years.

They look like Western coaches to me, probably adapted Bm235s (200km/h compartment coaches formerly on DB IC services). Typically, Western coaches have the roofline curve down to the gangway (as the Locomore ones do) and Eastern ones are square right up to the vehicle end. The doorhandles were also a different shape, but these have probably been swapped around too many times for this to be a reliable guide.

AlexNL

Established Member
Quite, a couple of trains per day doesn't pay for the huge back office cost. It's notable that no UK open access operator has gone for such a limited operation.
I don't think such a limited operation would be permitted under UK regulations, as it would fail the NPA test?

Or ex-DB. Full-drop leanable windows were standard UIC spec for years.

They look like Western coaches to me, probably adapted Bm235s (200km/h compartment coaches formerly on DB IC services).
Locomore/Flixtrain indeed use Bm235's, which were once used by Nederlandse Spoorwegen (source).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't think such a limited operation would be permitted under UK regulations, as it would fail the NPA test?

I think it would. The NPA test (Not Primarily Abstractive) has more to do with where you serve and how you price than the frequency.

For example, a service from Wick to London Euston calling at all stations up to Inverness, missing Inverness itself, then non-stop to Euston, would not, even if only running once per day, be primarily abstractive. The timetable clearly describes a service which is intended to carry people from stations that don't presently have a London service to/from London.

A class 153 with full RVAR modifications would be more than adequate for the demand :D

Locomore/Flixtrain indeed use Bm235's, which were once used by Nederlandse Spoorwegen (source).

With the window blocks removed, I see :) In their NS guise you couldn't open the windows enough to get your head out. I remember being quite disappointed at this.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Watching the video, some of the seat upholstery looked a bit tired, and one of the coaches seemed to be a couchette arranged for daytime use.

alex397

Established Member
I saw the Flixtrain at Düsseldorf Hbf tonight heading to Cologne/Koln, at about 20.40 (does this start at Hamburg?) . Looked very busy! And seemingly mostly youthful passengers. Almost looked like a youth hostel on wheels.

The garish livery rather stands out. I quite like the old rolling stock though, but maybe most of the passengers wouldn't agree with me!

Dougal2345

well, the coaches look dreadful
It looks like a palace compared to anything we have in the UK... Massive seats, no underfloor engines hammering away, space for bikes and luggage. The Germans have that and we have the Class 158...

duesselmartin

Established Member
It looks like a palace compared to anything we have in the UK... Massive seats, no underfloor engines hammering away, space for bikes and luggage. The Germans have that and we have the Class 158...

But you have perfectly good MK III. Germany has plenty of new pladtic MUs such as Lint, Talent, Flirt, Kiss and whatever silly name they could find.

D1009

Established Member
But you have perfectly good MK III. Germany has plenty of new pladtic MUs such as Lint, Talent, Flirt, Kiss and whatever silly name they could find.
Yes, and we're getting rid of the Mk 3s, apart from a comparitive few which are having a stay of execution due to initial replacement plans going awry.

Status
Not open for further replies.