• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another train leaves Guildford early

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Another train left Guildford early this morning. I was told by a member of staff it was 2 minutes early. It was quite that in real terms. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W12845/2014/09/19/advanced

Guards are humans and humans make mistakes. I wonder if there could ever be a system which alerts them as to when it's time to close the doors? I mean there are bleeps to tell people the doors are closing.

It's the third or fourth time it's happened to me since June 2013 and only ever on the Cobham line. I wonder how many times it happened to services I've not been travelling on? I travel on a variety of services at different times, not always on the Cobham line. I guess that is still a very small percentage compared to the number of services that run on that line across a year during peak morning rush hour.

I had particularly decided to catch the 8.36 because it has a loo on board. The 8.46, via Woking, to Surbiton, is very slow and doesn't. There are no other trains around this time that go to Surbiton with loos or connecting services with loos either.

The train should leave 8.36 but the guard closed the doors 8.34 and 30 seconds and it left just before 8.35. I arrived as I heard a whisle and thought it's for another platform. Then the doors closed. Someone else then joined me and the guard clearly saw us standing there. He boarded and the train pulled off as I was still pressing the door button, in the vain hope he might realise his mistake and reopened it. I guess I could have shouted out, nicely of course, it's leaving too early but it all seemed to happen before that thought occurred to me. He may not have heard me anyway as it was platform 1, which is a bay platform so he was half way down the bay platform and I was at the end of it.

By this time another bloke had joined us. He thought he had time to get a coffee before it left.

We were given complaint forms and told the guard is suppose to go by the clock on the platform. Interestingly I don't think the 8.07 has ever left early when I've been catching it, yet given all other peak services leave at 06, 16 or 36, you'd think it might. However it may be that another service coming in always stops the signal going green so early.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was talking to someone this evening and they, along with a load of passengers were on platform 5 at Guildford this morning awaiting the 9.17 to Waterloo. Suddenly it disappeared from the board and the 9. 34 was displayed.

He went over to the staff on platform 1 but they were not aware of anything.

Looking on real time trains I can see that shows the train arrived on platform 6. I can't believe passengers on platform 5 would not notice the doors on platform 6 open. However perhaps the guard opened the doors on platform 7 and no announcements were made. Or they opened on platform 6 and no announcements were made. There is a single line between platform 6 and 7. I have alighted at platform 7 before.

Just one of those mornings at Guildford which happen rarely.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W11079/2014/09/19/advanced

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Another train left Guildford early this morning. I was told by a member of staff it was 2 minutes early. It was quite that in real terms. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W12845/2014/09/19/advanced

Guards are humans and humans make mistakes. I wonder if there could ever be a system which alerts them as to when it's time to close the doors? I mean there are bleeps to tell people the doors are closing.

It's the third or fourth time it's happened to me since June 2013 and only ever on the Cobham line. I wonder how many times it happened to services I've not been travelling on? I travel on a variety of services at different times, not always on the Cobham line. I guess that is still a very small percentage compared to the number of services that run on that line across a year during peak morning rush hour.

I had particularly decided to catch the 8.36 because it has a loo on board. The 8.46, via Woking, to Surbiton, is very slow and doesn't. There are no other trains around this time that go to Surbiton with loos or connecting services with loos either.

The train should leave 8.36 but the guard closed the doors 8.34 and 30 seconds and it left just before 8.35. I arrived as I heard a whisle and thought it's for another platform. Then the doors closed. Someone else then joined me and the guard clearly saw us standing there. He boarded and the train pulled off as I was still pressing the door button, in the vain hope he might realise his mistake and reopened it. I guess I could have shouted out, nicely of course, it's leaving too early but it all seemed to happen before that thought occurred to me. He may not have heard me anyway as it was platform 1, which is a bay platform so he was half way down the bay platform and I was at the end of it.

By this time another bloke had joined us. He thought he had time to get a coffee before it left.

We were given complaint forms and told the guard is suppose to go by the clock on the platform. Interestingly I don't think the 8.07 has ever left early when I've been catching it, yet given all other peak services leave at 06, 16 or 36, you'd think it might. However it may be that another service coming in always stops the signal going green so early.

It may well be technically wrong by leaving very slightly early (and no excuse for that), but aren't you cutting it a bit too fine anyway ?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Doors are closed & locked 30th prior to departure, it then takes another 10-20s for the bells aand movement to start.

Arriving just a minute before is cutting it a bit too fine. It's a 50/50 chance whether you would get it anyway.

LowLevel

Established Member
I never dispatch my train from the platform screens. They're not always right. There's one shack in particular where if I did I'd leave 2 mins early every time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I never dispatch my train from the platform screens. They're not always right. There's one shack in particular where if I did I'd leave 2 mins early every time.

Where abouts is that though?

In my experience SWT staff generally do despatch exactly in accordance with the PIS times. I've never seen or heard of the clock display on the PIS running early or late.

hounddog

It may well be technically wrong by leaving very slightly early (and no excuse for that), but aren't you cutting it a bit too fine anyway ?

So a train leaves 2 minutes early and it 'may well be technically wrong'?

No, it's wrong pure and simple. If I'm told doors are closed 30 seconds before departure I shouldn't have to be on the platform 2 minutes earlier than that just in case the guard's watch is fast.

TUC

Established Member

What should passengers rely on if not the departure screens? For the rail system just to accept 'they're inaccurate' and just shrug its shoulders really isn't good enough.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was talking to someone this evening and they, along with a load of passengers were on platform 5 at Guildford this morning awaiting the 9.17 to Waterloo. Suddenly it disappeared from the board and the 9. 34 was displayed.

Looking on real time trains I can see that shows the train arrived on platform 6. I can't believe passengers on platform 5 would not notice the doors on platform 6 open.

If the display screen says your train will arrive at platform 5, why should you particularly take any notice of a train at platform 6?

455driver

Veteran Member
I've never seen or heard of the clock display on the PIS running early or late.

Really, how many hours are there in a day?

Serious question because I have a (very poor) photo of the PIS at Woking P3 and it says 38:17:24 (the minutes and seconds might be wrong) but it was 38 oclock! :lol:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Where abouts is that though?

In my experience SWT staff generally do despatch exactly in accordance with the PIS times. I've never seen or heard of the clock display on the PIS running early or late.

We used to find of you set your watch by time shown at Bristol Temple Meads it would be 2mins fast when you got to Newport

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I must admit that the reliability of some of the so called radio controlled watches that we were given does leave something to be desired.

I was never able to wear mine,I was allergic to the metal back! However I have seen some where they've been laid on messroom table and all have said different times. :roll:

My watch is my own it's radio controlled and I check it almost daily against several time services and it's always spot on & so it jolly well should be for £200!

CNash

Looking on real time trains I can see that shows the train arrived on platform 6. I can't believe passengers on platform 5 would not notice the doors on platform 6 open. However perhaps the guard opened the doors on platform 7 and no announcements were made. Or they opened on platform 6 and no announcements were made. There is a single line between platform 6 and 7. I have alighted at platform 7 before.

I used to commute to and from Guildford; there was always one particular train (the details escape me) that was advertised as arriving on platform 5 but would always undergo a platform alteration and change to platform 6 a couple of minutes before it was due to arrive.

455driver

Veteran Member
I must admit that the reliability of some of the so called radio controlled watches that we were given does leave something to be desired.
Are they connecting though, my old style watch was fine but the new digital style mine never has connected..

I was never able to wear mine,I was allergic to the metal back! However I have seen some where they've been laid on messroom table and all have said different times. :roll:
Give us it, I could do with a new one! :lol:

My watch is my own it's radio controlled and I check it almost daily against several time services and it's always spot on & so it jolly well should be for £200!
Posh bugger, I dont spend that much buying a car! :lol:

TEW

Established Member

I understand that the 0917 left from Platform 6 and that announcements were made. Also the platform staff on Platform 5 attempted to tell as many passengers as possible personally that the train was instead departing from Platform 6.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Are they connecting though, my old style watch was fine but the new digital style mine never has connected..

Give us it, I could do with a new one! :lol:

Posh bugger, I dont spend that much buying a car! :lol:

Yep I found a picture of you & it.

strangecars.com_.jpg
:lol:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I understand that the 0917 left from Platform 6 and that announcements were made. Also the platform staff on Platform 5 attempted to tell as many passengers as possible personally that the train was instead departing from Platform 6.
Goes to show how people don't always hear these things then.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Doors are closed & locked 30th prior to departure, it then takes another 10-20s for the bells aand movement to start.

Arriving just a minute before is cutting it a bit too fine. It's a 50/50 chance whether you would get it anyway.
I walk to the station so I don't usually get caught up in any traffic. The only delay might be crossing a road. Thus I don't feel the need to arrive 2 minutes in advance. If I had a ticket for a timed train I would but as a commuter I don't have such a restriction.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Well if you arrive in good time, you have nothing to worry about.

Leave it to the last minute and then you get worries such as not being able to get your ticket and not getting to your train out of breath and the doors closing & it leaving you behind. Rocket science it ain't.

Last edited:

AmeralGunson

Leave it to the last minute and then you get worries such as not being able to get your ticket and not getting to your train out of breath and the doors closing & it leaving you behind. Rocket science it ain't.

Sorry Mr. Smartypants but if I'm in possession of a ticket and the train is booked to depart at 13.30 I'd expect to board it on the platform at 13.29.
Rocketry isn't science, it's engineering.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Sorry Mr. Smartypants but if I'm in possession of a ticket and the train is booked to depart at 13.30 I'd expect to board it on the platform at 13.29.

It also depends on what the WTT says. That can be considerably different tow what times YOU have.

NB. SWT instructions are that the train's doors start to be closed at T-30, the train should be on the move at T-00.

So if you leave it to the last possible minute you may find the doors are in the middle of the closing sequence & you will be locked out.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Oh dear!
No it isn't engineering, it is called personal planning; YOUR personal planning. You are required to leave adequate time to catch a train and 1 minute or less is NOT adequate.

infobleep

Veteran Member

As a commuter who regularly uses the line, I don't need any additional tickets. In fact when I do need an additional ticket for a journey, I try to remember to buy it in advance when I'm passing through the station rather than wait until the last minute as there might be a queue.

However there isn't usually a queue for a train due to leave at 8.36 when it starts from Guildford.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Oh dear!
No it isn't engineering, it is called personal planning; YOUR personal planning. You are required to leave adequate time to catch a train and 1 minute or less is NOT adequate.
Well I allowed 1.5 minutes before it should have left.

SWT say doors will close up to 30 seconds prior to departure. I arrived 1.5 minutes in advance.

A fair amount of the time, for through trains, the doors close within this 30 seconds if not after the train should have left.

However I know that not to be the case that often for trains that start at Guildford.

If 30 seconds is to short then SWT should change their posters.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
That would be much better. And I would have gates to prevent late runners trying to board at the last second too.

Oh BTW, don't forget to be there even earlier as of October 5, they leave 3 minutes earlier until December, due to leaf fall. So Newliners leave Guildford at XX:04 & XX:34.

Timetable is available for download right now from the SWT website. ;)

Last edited:

AmeralGunson

Oh dear!

I'm taking a train journey, not an intercontinental flight. Boarding - not arriving at the station but boarding -a train one minute before departure time is adequate. By WTT I assume that's rail staff timetables. If it has times earlier than public timetable times then something needs to be changed.
Incidentally, how much time is allowed at an intermediate station for a train stopping there? I believe that in most cases for small stations it's a minute which rather blows your "allow adequate time to catch a train" thesis out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.