• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ANPR Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterC

Established Member
Thanks for chipping in on that. It's a shame that Class 172 fan has a problem spelling things correctly though.
No problem, just an assumption that everybody else here reads Private Eye as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ic31420

It certainly can do foreign plates. It might have difficulty with e.g. those with Arabic lettering, but how often do you see one of those in the UK?

In fairness it will read foreign plates or incorrect spacings. In the event of a misread it can refer back to the mk1 eyeball.

If a foreign plate or invalid plate (none existent ) is added to the hotlist it'll ping the same as anything else.

Problem with enforcement on foreign plates is accessing the foreign databases or people. I think I got flashed in France, my BIL infront certainly did.... We didn't hear anything .

Bevan Price

Established Member
Plenty of legitimate reasons why others need access. I've used the system after people have damaged my property and driven off,f after minor collisions and for petrol stations to follow up drive offs with civil recovery to name but a few.

Then in my opinion, such access ought to need permission from at least a court (magistrate) and be granted only in cases like yours - where there is a case that criminal activity has occurred - but never be allowed for private car parking organisations. Fraud at petrol stations should also be pursued by the police and courts, with court orders made for compensation -- the petrol station itself should have no direct rights to access the information.

PeterC

Established Member
Then in my opinion, such access ought to need permission from at least a court (magistrate) and be granted only in cases like yours - where there is a case that criminal activity has occurred - but never be allowed for private car parking organisations. Fraud at petrol stations should also be pursued by the police and courts, with court orders made for compensation -- the petrol station itself should have no direct rights to access the information.
So a green light for the self entitled freeloaders who consider any handy business or residents' car park as fair game for storing their vehicle.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
It certainly can do foreign plates. It might have difficulty with e.g. those with Arabic lettering, but how often do you see one of those in the UK?
In central London--plenty. They also don't pay congestion charge or the new environmental charge. I'd like to see what the recovery rates are for fines issued to foreign registered vehicles.

Bevan Price

Established Member
So a green light for the self entitled freeloaders who consider any handy business or residents' car park as fair game for storing their vehicle.
Yes, at least whilst there are so many cowboys & rip-off merchants in the parking fee /penalty business.

philthetube

Established Member
So if I own a petrol station I am not allowed to film people who steal my petrol????????? Next stage no locks allowed on doors?

Mordac

Established Member
Equally, there is a need for enforcement as people do have this little habit of getting very selfish and ignorant when they get behind the wheel of their car.

I think I would heavily regulate the industry - a statutory appeals body would be a good idea (as applies to Council fines), as well as a statutorily defined penalty (like PFs) and regulation of what restrictions can be imposed (for instance, I would ban "no return within" for ANPR-enforced car parks as it is unnecessary and catches a lot of people out - all you need is "you can park for a maximum of 3 hours per day total" at a supermarket to stop commuters parking there, and I would ban "no leaving site" because this causes unnecessary car journeys between adjacent sites - in practice people park randomly at each such site and so it gets distributed sensibly).
I think you'll be getting your wish sooner rather than leter: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think you'll be getting your wish sooner rather than leter: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Yes, this does look a good start. In the end parking enforcement is needed (proven by the fact that these companies are financially viable - fundamentally, drivers are selfish), and I see no reason why it should not be provided commercially - it just needs the dodgy firms reining in just as the SIA seems to have done with a fair bit of success when it comes to the security industry, particularly the likes of doormen at licenced establishments, which used to be a real underworld.

reddragon

Established Member
Plenty of legitimate reasons why others need access. I've used the system after people have damaged my property and driven off,f after minor collisions and for petrol stations to follow up drive offs with civil recovery to name but a few.
I always drive off without paying at Petrol Stations. I do not support the oil industry, so refuse to pay them anything.

ic31420

Not all drive offs are necessarily criminal offences. Nor was the damage at my former place of work.

Doesn't make sense for the police and courts to spend hundreds pursuing a fifty quid drive off when the business can do it themselves equally well.

Status
Not open for further replies.