• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Antennas stuck to the back of trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwills98

Hello,

I can remember a couple of years ago there was some system of antennas stuck on the back of a class 150 or 70, possibly for some sort of measurement work on behalf of Network Rail. If anyone remembers this, would you have any photos of them or know what they do please?

Cheers, Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sheridan

I remember seeing it being mounted to a 158 at Pwllheli and it stuck in my head as I wasn’t aware Fugro were involved in rail at the time.

AMD

The 66 at Paddington is probably this - https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2020...t-rila-survey-of-network-rails-western-route/

Network Rail has contracted Fugro to conduct a RILA survey of a major part the rail network on the Western route in England. Fugro will collect of nearly 1,000 route miles of RILA data, providing asset and track position information that will be used by Network Rail to support a gauging programme and validation of track position. Fugro’s RILA survey will capture an estimated 97 per cent of all track and lineside structures to provide a holistic and accurate view of the Western network.

Fugro will deploy its unique RILA train-borne survey technology in collaboration with the Network Rail Western route team and Great Western Railway on passenger services operating throughout south-west England.

To ensure survey work can continue during the Covid-19 outbreak, when passenger trains are reduced, some parts of the survey will be carried out with the RILA survey unit attached to a dedicated locomotive rather than an in-service passenger train. Fugro has worked closely with Network Rail and Freightliner to modify procedures and agree work methods that incorporate social distancing and safeguard all personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.