• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AnthonyRail Pictures and Trip Reports (contains large images)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LordCreed

£7 return national express, Taunton to London vs £60 for same journey by rail and only an hour longer by bus.

Both National Express and Megabus offer some good priced tickets. Whilst I prefer the train, coaches can be a better option at times.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Both National Express and Megabus offer some good priced tickets. Whilst I prefer the train, coaches can be a better option at times.

Quite cheaper, heading to deltic gala so saving on railfare pays for bluebell ticket :)

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Trying to plan October weekend in London, I'd like to spend the Sunday (29th oct) going London to York for railway museum and spotting, but tickets aren't on sale yet, what would likely be the fare for return London to York and I likely get a better deal buying when they go sale

Kite159

Veteran Member
Trying to plan October weekend in London, I'd like to spend the Sunday (29th oct) going London to York for railway museum and spotting, but tickets aren't on sale yet, what would likely be the fare for return London to York and I likely get a better deal buying when they go sale

Best to wait until the tickets go on sale for some decent priced advances.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
what time do the Norwich short sets with 68/37 start in the mornings

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Brilliant day at Swanage bulleid gala, will write report when I get a day off work, will currently will be in 28days. Crazy.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Had F.O.S.S 3day rover planned for late bank hol weekend and then they announced rail engineering works so not sure what to do.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Had F.O.S.S 3day rover planned for late bank hol weekend and then they announced rail engineering works so not sure what to do.

Depends on where the engineering works are, and what level of disruption they're causing. I believe the days of interesting diversions caused by engineering works are mostly over though, mind you I don't look too carefully these days.

If a FoSS is no longer a sensible option, there must be something else that appeals!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Agreed, depends where the engineering works are, you might get an interesting HST diversion (for example if Swindon is closed, then HSTs can get diverted via Newbury/Trowbridge)

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Ended up over sleeping and missing train to Swanage diesel gala, decided to drive instead. Stopped off at tank museum to see tiger tank collection then afternoon between corfe and Swanage for photoing trains. Good day out and glad I pushed myself to drive.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Ended up over sleeping at missing train to Swanage diesel gala, decided to drive instead. Stopped off at tank museum to see tiger tank collection then afternoon between corfe and Swanage for photoing trains. Good day out and glad I pushed myself to drive.

I keep saying I`ll visit the tank museum, must do so next time I`m down. I`m a bit like that driving myself, much sooner catch public transport, although I have a two hour drive this morning for the Bala Railway event, its either drive or a train to Wrexham and 1 1/2 hour bus ride and I`d miss the first train out. Great report though, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
planned trips

Saturday 13th May

head to WSR bishops lydeard to see HST 43185/43002 arrive and Western D1010 leave to Minehead.

drive to Tiverton parkway and purchase Devon day rover, and Cornwall rover.

head to Bodmin for English electric day with 37142+50042 in use.

head back to Paignton, for class 25 that's in use and photo class 47/57 x 2 visting on railtours.

Sunday 14th

Taunton vintage bus running day with trip to WSR to see class 35 hymek
D7017 running.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Pretty good selection of motive power in there Anthony. I really like Paigntons class 25 in blue. Is there a chance of both Hymeks running at Minehead this year too? That'd be very nice to see.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Pretty good selection of motive power in there Anthony. I really like Paigntons class 25 in blue. Is there a chance of both Hymeks running at Minehead this year too? That'd be very nice to see.

think they hoping D7018 to double head at the gala for a run.

I travelled behind the Dartmouth 25 at SDR diesel gala double head with SDR class 25 at a gala few years back.

2moro looking better now confirmed as class 31 "31452" to okehampton to collect rail grinder

AnthonyRail

Established Member
planned trips

Saturday 13th May

head to WSR bishops lydeard to see HST 43185/43002 arrive and Western D1010 leave to Minehead.

drive to Tiverton parkway and purchase Devon day rover, and Cornwall rover.

head to Bodmin for English electric day with 37142+50042 in use.

head back to Paignton, for class 25 that's in use and photo class 47/57 x 2 visting on railtours.

Sunday 14th

Taunton vintage bus running day with trip to WSR to see class 35 hymek
D7017 running.

Can't see me fitting everything 2moro. May just end up doing Devon rover, with visit to Paignton for railtours.

Plus money saved means the fare to SVR diesel gala is covered.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm on the SVR on Friday, gotta be a little tightfisted the next two weeks to fit everything in. No beer on this SVR gala for me, sadly.

A shame your plans have had to be revised!

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I'm on the SVR on Friday, gotta be a little tightfisted the next two weeks to fit everything in. No beer on this SVR gala for me, sadly.

A shame your plans have had to be revised!

It wasn't possible given the mileage between everything to do all of it. In the end I just went to my local bridge to watch everything go thru. Wasn't feeling the best anyway so needed a rest from bashing.

31452, 57313/16, 67024 and GWR HST with 43093/43002 all passed in an hour and good photos taken.

Seemed to be an issue with broken train Exeter st Thomas so nothing was heading northbound so called a day and head home to bed.

Hoping to feel better 2moro, vintage buses and hymek await.

Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Today is looking like much better weather, decided to get to the vintage bus event early so I can take all required photos before the mass public arrive and stand in the way of good shots.

Headed to local spoons for breakfast and since the car won't be required to move for allday having a few pints, Strongbow dark fruit cider is ordered.

Looking forward to open bus ride to see hymek D7017

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Brilliant day out, now best look at rail fares for SVR diesel gala

Last edited: