• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AnthonyRail Pictures and Trip Reports (contains large images)

AnthonyRail

Established Member
19/01/17

Had a few hours to pass while waiting for car to be serviced, with the railway being nearby I decided to jump on train and head to Bristol temple meads, I walk to Bridgwater station and purchase day return for £9.80. I take a walk along platform 2 as I wanted to photo the siding where the nuclear flasks are loaded on too the pair of 37s that ran yesterday. Don't get Wednesdays off so always miss them, there's a train due in 10 mins for the 51 min journey to Bristol. On the way passing two GBRF 66s that I couldn't get my pen out to note down in time.

I have an enjoyable 1hr on the station, with plenty of 150s, 158s, HSTs and a 66 to photograph. Before it's time to go home. back on the next train home, and it's off to get car and pick up the wife and her shopping. She asks where I've been and I tell her I sat in the pub for 2hrs.

Enjoyable unexpected trip out and I'm glad I had camera with me in car.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
pictures to follow soon when the computer decides to work

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhassell

19/01/17

Had a few hours to pass while waiting for car to be serviced, with the railway being nearby I decided to jump on train and head to Bristol temple meads, I walk to Bridgwater station and purchase day return for £9.80. I take a walk along platform 2 as I wanted to photo the siding where the nuclear flasks are loaded on too the pair of 37s that ran yesterday. Don't get Wednesdays off so always miss them, there's a train due in 10 mins for the 51 min journey to Bristol. On the way passing two GBRF 66s that I couldn't get my pen out to note down in time.

I have an enjoyable 1hr on the station, with plenty of 150s, 158s, HSTs and a 66 to photograph. Before it's time to go home. back on the next train home, and it's off to get car and pick up the wife and her shopping. She asks where I've been and I tell her I sat in the pub for 2hrs.

Nice to see a local on this part of the forum! Sounds like you had a good day!

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Spent all the pocket money I gave her and didn't even buy me a present.

She said she can't go anywhere this weekend as she's out with the girls, I said it's fine I was going to steam gala anyway.
19/01/17

Planned 2017 events
Febuary:
March:swanage Bulleid gala
April:Bluebell diesel gala
May:
June:WSR diesel gala
July: 7 day all line rover (First ever)
August:
September: Flying Scotsman@WSR
October: Bluebell "Deltic" event
November:
December

Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Had a few hours on Exeter St Davids station with a return to Paignton for an ice cream. Got to see a few vinyl hsts- 43002 passed while I was on train and missed 43172 by a few minutes. Good day, good selection of pictures. Headed home just before the delays because of the fatality near tiverton.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the trip reporters club!

Didn't the Mrs think it odd how you'd been to the pub for 2 hours and yet was driving?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Welcome to the trip reporters club!

Didn't the Mrs think it odd how you'd been to the pub for 2 hours and yet was driving?

Found the train ticket in jeans when doing washing, asked for a divorce as she believes I'm cheating. Brilliant thing now single means more trains

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Thinking of future trips, wondering if its possible to get from Taunton by rail, do the Yarmouth short sets with the 37s and 68s and return home in a day

Dhassell

Thinking of future trips, wondering if it's possible to get from Taunton by rail, do the Yarmouth short sets with the 37s and 68s and return home in a day

Its definitely possible! as long as you don't mind leaving early and getting back late! It you can though it is probably worth staying for 1 night!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You'd enjoy it more if you stayed over somewhere over there, because you'd probably have to be on the first train from Taunton and potentially on the last one back. Which is realistically an 18+ hour day, I wouldn't enjoy the journey home at least and would need a ton of coffee to get me through it.

Making it easier would be using the sleeper from Taunton as you'd get to London with more time to get to Norwich. Depends on your budgets really!

AnthonyRail

Established Member
You'd enjoy it more if you stayed over somewhere over there, because you'd probably have to be on the first train from Taunton and potentially on the last one back. Which is realistically an 18+ hour day, I wouldn't enjoy the journey home at least and would need a ton of coffee to get me through it.

Making it easier would be using the sleeper from Taunton as you'd get to London with more time to get to Norwich. Depends on your budgets really!

I hadn't thought about the sleeper, would be good to get some 57 haulage on mainline. Cost wise I think it may be better to include the short sets in the all line rover planned to September, if they are still running.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I hadn't thought about the sleeper, would be good to get some 57 haulage on mainline. Cost wise I think it may be better to include the short sets in the all line rover planned to September, if they are still running.

Did you make it over to the Dartmoor Sulzer day Anthony?

Dhassell

I don't think they will still being running in September!

iantherev

37s maybe, 68s probably not. As far as 57 haulage goes the GWR summer Sat extras are easily doable from Taunton - return to Tiverton Parkway, then Devon Day Ranger gives you unlimited travel.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I will find my self in Warminster in Aug. Tempted to do a 3 day rover ticket and cover Eastleigh/westbury area finally

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I'm looking for a way to backup from SD card during nights away, and being away from computer. Don't have to upload to Internet, can do that when I get home. But I just want a way to save photos incase camera Sd card decides to corrupt itself.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I'm looking for a way to backup from SD card during nights away, and being away from computer. Don't have to upload to Internet, can do that when I get home. But I just want a way to save photos incase camera Sd card decides to corrupt itself.

A tablet or something, don't really want to be carrying laptop around with me.:idea: