• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anti-Pacer's April ALR Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Good to know about that Travelodge at Swansea as that could come in handy for future Welsh based trips

I had a lovely room there. Windows down to the floor, quite high up and with views out over Swansea as far as the Mumbles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A good read - some interesting trundling! I have never done the Fort William sleeper. It has been fully booked for both of my rovers. I must rectify that.

I also quite like Portsmouth and the trip to the IoW

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A shame EMT let you down, but it was still a good day in the end. Weymouth is nice to visit, agreed, and I need to go back again one day. Been a fair few times now, which reminds me that I need to go back to Scarborough as I loved it there last time I had a proper visit there.

I don't recall any particularly interesting scenery that you'll have missed, at least you were awake for the decent scenery through Bradford-on-Avon, Avoncliff and Freshford. The rail replacement bus sounds grim, and there are a lot of First buses around with First Leicester legals on them, even if they are a long way from there. I think they're finally changing that mind.

Don't envy you staying at a Travelodge! Shame you got to see Swansea when it was chucking it down, it's not the prettiest around the station admittedly and the seafront is much better.

I'm still enjoying the read, and it helped me endure this morning's commute so my thanks! Bring on the next part!

anti-pacer

Established Member
THE FINAL DAY - SATURDAY 9TH APRIL

I awoke with some sadness that today was my last day of the trip. I had got used to sitting back in the luxury of First Class watching the country go by. The weather in Swansea was still wet as I gazed out of the window watching the city get ready for the day. I went down to the buffet breakfast which was, well, OK. I'm sure Gordon Ramsay wouldn't have liked it but it filled a spot. On departure and keen not to get soaked on the 15 minutes walk to the station, I enquired at reception about taxis. The guy very kindly called one for me which arrived in about a minute flat and off we went. £1.70 was the fare. Bargain! I gave him £2.50 though. ☺

I sat in a very quiet station waiting for the 0915 ATW service to Swansea, formed of a 1 coach 153. Out we pulled past the Liberty Stadium and the new Hitachi factory and through the damp suburbs towards Llanelli. Soon I was looking over to the Gower where I spent my first ever camping trip in 2007 with my then girlfriend. We stayed on the south side of the Gower at Three Cliffs Bay, and if you've never been, go! It is stunning. Anyway, fond memories aside, I appear to be digressing.

I had opted for a backwards facing seat at Swansea to save a seat change at Llanelli, as from there the train reverses out for the Heart of Wales line. A very pleasant young girl came along with her refreshments trolley, which I wasn't expecting to see so I bought a cup of tea and a chocolate bar. We soon reached the little town of Pontarddulais whose station sign I had to get a photo of. The company I worked for at the time had a branch there and one of the guys in our office was originally from Rochdale. He couldn't pronounce Pontarddulais in the Welsh way, opting instead for "Ponty-doo-lace". Imagine that said in a broad but slow Lancashire accent! He got some stick and we even used to sing "Is this the way to Ponty-doo-lace" whenever he walked in. Anyway, I'm digressing again.

The Heart of Wales line, although lovely to be fair, wasn't quite as picture postcard as I was expecting. I suppose I'd been spoilt with the Mallaig line, but that said it was pleasant enough, apart from some guy who using his phone everytime we had signal, to call all his friends to tell them his girlfriend wasn't now coming to Shrewsbury as she missed the train. I wouldn't mind but he felt the need to repeat himself on every call. I and others were getting a bit fed up of it. After an otherwise nice trip on the Heart of Wales line I changed at Church Stretton for a train to Hereford. I could (I think) have changed at Craven Arms but it was a cold day and the wait at Church Stretton was less. Soon I was on a very busy ATW 175 for the short hop through Ludlow and Leominster to Hereford.

In Hereford with over an hour to kill I walked across to Morrison's for some lunch before slowly walking back to the station for the 1515 (from memory) GWR HST to London Paddington. I still had a fair time to wait but it soon passed, and before I knew it I was sat in the comfort of their high backed leather seats.

The journey was very quiet with First Class practically deserted as I enjoyed Herefordshire pass by before the Malvern Hills came into view. I didn't realise that at the weekends there was no 'At Seat Service' so I went to the buffet car and collected some freebies and purchased a couple of cans of beer for the trip. It amazed me how frequent we were stopping, at such little places in the Cotswolds. Villages that had a direct HST to London. Impressive! After Oxford we sped down the Thames Valley to Reading, had a slight wait in Slough as we were early and then we seemed to crawl through West London to Paddington.

The Bakerloo Line was closed when I got there although I needed the Circle or H&C lines to get to King's Cross. I didn't realise the entrance for these was way back down a platform! I had a few minutes to wait and the platform was heaving. I had hoped to get an earlier train, thinking there was one just after 7pm. I missed this by 2 minutes so got the 1930 VTEC Bradford Forster Square service after a trip to the off-licence across the road for some more beer.

Before we left I sat there with mixed emotions. I was looking forward to my own bed again, an Indian takeaway, not carting my rucksack around, and most of all a good sleep in the following morning. I was also really going to miss travelling around. I'd had a great week, crammed lots of places in. To think one morning I woke in Holyhead, went to bed that night at home in Wakefield , but went to Norfolk via London in between. To think also one night I went to bed on a sleeper train in the West Highlands, knowing that the next night again I'd be in Wakefield, but I'd be travelling all the way down to the Isle of Wight first. Quite amazing really!

So, the final journey north. The refreshments came round several times courtesy of the ever attentive hosts. Each time I opted for a can of Coke which went straight into my bag and then my fridge when I got home. I enjoyed a lovely smoked salmon and creamed cheese sandwich which was served that quickly, even a couple who alighted at Stevenage got to have one. I sat back and enjoyed the journey listening to music on my phone and after what seemed like no time at all, Wakefield Westgate was upon me. I left the train and had a strange feeling that this little piece of card that cost me £731 and had got me all across the UK, was now nothing more than a little piece of card. I felt somewhat deflated, but so so glad that I'd done this trip.

I hope you've enjoyed reading.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful time! It must have been soul destroying for it all to come to an end. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading and thank you for sharing!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh I know that feeling about the end of an ALR, you know it's coming but you cannot stop it, the end to the fun is inevitable and putting the ticket down for the last time is hard to. I struggled enough at the end of 2011's 7 day Standard Class ALR, imagine how I felt at the end of 2012's 14 day Standard Class ALR! To think that is ever so slightly short of 4 years ago now. I did the same sort of thing with the going from one end to the other in 2012. Started the day at Widnes on a Sunday morning, then did Widnes > Warrington > Preston > Glasgow > Pollockshaws West (I think!) to do a rare bit of track, then back into Glasgow > Warrington > Birmingham New Street > Hereford.

Good times, good times, even if it cost me something in the region of £1,100 including accommodation, food/drink and fares! Sorry I got rather sidetracked there...

A most enjoyable read all the way through. I think you were indeed spoiled by the West Higland Line's Mallaig extension, the Heart of Wales is nice but it cannot compare to the West Highland Line, the UK's most scenic railway journey. Without question that, it beats the S&C by a country mile!

1513 I believe your HST will have left Hereford, during the week at least it is an unusual service as it also calls at Shipton. If it was a double-track route, service patterns would no doubt be different but they are what they are, we don't get expresses to London sadly. Between Hereford and Oxford it's basically a local service, apart from the really small shacks which only get one service calling in each direction on weekdays only.

Thanks for sharing your trip report!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
An excellent report, got me more excited for my 14 day ALR which is up and coming this August!

anti-pacer

Established Member
Oh I know that feeling about the end of an ALR, you know it's coming but you cannot stop it, the end to the fun is inevitable and putting the ticket down for the last time is hard to. I struggled enough at the end of 2011's 7 day Standard Class ALR, imagine how I felt at the end of 2012's 14 day Standard Class ALR! To think that is ever so slightly short of 4 years ago now. I did the same sort of thing with the going from one end to the other in 2012. Started the day at Widnes on a Sunday morning, then did Widnes > Warrington > Preston > Glasgow > Pollockshaws West (I think!) to do a rare bit of track, then back into Glasgow > Warrington > Birmingham New Street > Hereford.

Good times, good times, even if it cost me something in the region of £1,100 including accommodation, food/drink and fares! Sorry I got rather sidetracked there...

A most enjoyable read all the way through. I think you were indeed spoiled by the West Higland Line's Mallaig extension, the Heart of Wales is nice but it cannot compare to the West Highland Line, the UK's most scenic railway journey. Without question that, it beats the S&C by a country mile!

1513 I believe your HST will have left Hereford, during the week at least it is an unusual service as it also calls at Shipton. If it was a double-track route, service patterns would no doubt be different but they are what they are, we don't get expresses to London sadly. Between Hereford and Oxford it's basically a local service, apart from the really small shacks which only get one service calling in each direction on weekdays only.

Thanks for sharing your trip report!

Glad you enjoyed it. I will definitely do another one at some point.

1513 from Hereford sounds familiar. It was a lovely journey and very quiet. I forgot to add that the train manager was extremely funny with his announcements, and even let a little kid say hello to his mum on one of them! His announcing style was unique but he made me chuckle.

The purpose of going from one end of the country to the other all the time was to get in as many long distance journeys as possible, especially as I had paid for the First Class option. It's also the reason I only visited Scotland once due to a lack of a decent offering on Scotrail. Also the time it takes to get about up there.

I did also enjoy my little jolly around the South East on day one. I love Kent so it had to be included in my itinerary.

All in all I found VTEC to be the best First Class option for everything. Service, alcohol available, food (apart from their breakfast), and Wi-Fi that was consistent. The best meal I had though had to be on the ATW WAG train. I only did one VTWC train but that was good too. GWR had the best seats but their food offerings weren't anything special. XC wasn't too bad although given the distances involved on their services I feel they could step up their game. EMT were OK but I never got the pleasure of their breakfast, and GA were just poor! The South East TOC's with First Class are neither here nor there. Slightly bigger seat (normally) and that's it.

When I do my next one I will try and include GC and Hull Trains to see how they compare.

I've got itchy feet now and want to do another trip. However I am going up to the Lakes tomorrow for the day so I'm looking forward to that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
An excellent report, got me more excited for my 14 day ALR which is up and coming this August!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I had done a 14 day trip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.