• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) information displays left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

There was a thread about this a few years back and I thought it might be interesting to find out - are there any CRTs left in use, be it for staff or passenger, anywhere on the network - NR or LU?

The last ones I was aware of were Baker Street (LU). There was a dead one at Angel Road. Beyond that, I'm not aware of any more.

Edited: Title fixed. I have no idea how it ended up as "Cathay"...!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ac6000cw

Established Member
It's 'Cathode' not Cathay, by the way, as in the heated metal bit inside the back of the display vacuum tube which emits electrons. At the opposite end is the phosphor-coated screen forming the positive 'anode' to which they are attracted, accelerated to high energy by the 15 to 25 kV DC voltage difference between cathode and anode generated by the display electronics. In this age of LCD and LED displays it all seems so last century... (actually, 'Cathode Rays' - electron beams - were discovered in the 19th century)

Last edited:

BigCj34

Was one at High Street Glasgow a few years back but have no idea if it is still there.

nlogax

Established Member
For some reason this question seems to come around regularly

Seems two of the last known hold-outs were Thetford and Wymondham. Last one I remember seeing was via something retweeted by Geoff Marshall during early 2018 - somewhere on Southeastern.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Seems two of the last known hold-outs were Thetford and Wymondham. Last one I remember seeing was via something retweeted by Geoff Marshall during early 2018 - somewhere on Southeastern.

It's in one of his Least Used Station in... videos iirc

Railcar

When the OP says 'staff', does he include the screens used on platforms for driver information? ie the Melford monitors in pods showing CCTV of the train and platform for driver only trains? Because there are still plenty of those still going strong after many, many, years.

allaction

Next time I’m at Cathays station, I’ll check there.

If anywhere will have them...

GW43125

Established Member
A few SE stations in Kent (eg Birchington) retained them until last year, but gone now unfortunately.

LowLevel

Established Member

The GA ones have recently been replaced.

alangla

When the OP says 'staff', does he include the screens used on platforms for driver information? ie the Melford monitors in pods showing CCTV of the train and platform for driver only trains? Because there are still plenty of those still going strong after many, many, years.
Whereabouts? All the ones in Strathclyde were replaced with portrait aligned colour LCDs a good few years ago with some stations gaining additional cameras and screens. The ones in Ayrshire have since been decommissioned after the 380s with onboard CCTV arrived and the last of the 318s moved on

iphone76

Lots of these remain on the East tfl rail stations. Including Harold Wood, Gidea Park, Goodmayes, Seven Kings, Forest Gate and Maryland.

Also black and white DOO monitors on the down electric platforms 4 at Harold Wood And Brentwood.

alangla

Lots of these remain on the East tfl rail stations. Including Harold Wood, Gidea Park, Goodmayes, Seven Kings, Forest Gate and Maryland.

Also black and white DOO monitors on the down electric platforms 4 at Harold Wood And Brentwood.
Thanks, so presumably these will go when the 315s disappear and/or Crossrail opens?

GW43125

Established Member
Are there any CRT OPO monitors left on the tube? Remember seeing a few on the bakerloo a couple of years back.

LowLevel

Established Member
They haven't - Clacton-on-Sea and Wivenhoe both have CRT. Clacton have around 8 monitors and Wivenhoe has 1.

I was referring to the quoted examples at Thetford and Wymondham as opposed to the also quoted SouthEastern ones which I have no knowledge of.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Not the main platform information screens which are now orange dot matrix, but there is a remaining CRT departure board that has survived facing the road at Shelford, at the ramp to Platform 1 by the ticket machine The display is barely visible but it's there!

Visible here https://www.google.com/maps/@52.148...4!1sgJoDiMV6OPOGvVKMQE-53g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I haven't noticed whether the driver's CCTV system (also visible) has been replaced with something from the 21st Century recently.

Last edited:

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Title still to be corrected.
Reminds me of a colleague I used to deal with in the Indian office at one of my former companies, who genuinely and consistently referred to our cargo arrangements with "Cathay Specific". Not ironic or humorous or deliberate, that's what he thought the airline was called!

unlevel42

New Mills Newtown, to Manchester platform.
Not currently working and probably soon to be replaced as part of the refurbishment-footbridge etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.