• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any connections or meetings with celebrities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
As a spin-off from the Walking thread, @Non Multi mentioned he saw Timmy Mallett out cycling, and other members have said they saw Peaky Blinders being filmed. How about you? I do remember a few years ago, there was a thread about whom you had met on a train, but this is general. Obviously, if you are an actor or politician, this thread isn’t for you or we’d be here forever.

For me, I used to go rock climbing with Timmy’s elder brother Paul. Their dad was a vicar in Hyde, Manchester and I once went to a party at their house. Never saw Timmy, though I suppose he would have only been ten at the time.

A bizarre one - at Stockport station one time in the late 70s I saw Joan Collins get into a First Class carriage, and I heard someone say she was going to Stoke. This was about nine at night. I was surprised she couldn’t afford a taxi.

Any sightings?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’ve met the Queen and Prince Philip, so I guess they’re the two most high profile celebrities I’ve come across.

I actually went to an art exhibition of Timmy Mallett’s when I was working in Birmingham and met him too!

High Dyke

Established Member
Train related. A few years ago Su Pollard was waiting for a train at Grantham, she's a regular passenger through the area. Anyway the train was delayed so she went out to the station forecourt. The train duly arrived and departed with Ms Pollard stood on the platform arms aloft trying to blame everyone else.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
A lot of my clients work at the residences of footballers and wealthy businesspeople and am frequently going to their houses.

Darandio

Established Member
Similar threads do appear quite often so i'll quote a reply from one a few months ago. This was about celebrity encounters good or bad.

Tony Blair - Met him twice, once in my hometown of Ferryhill when he was meeting folk ahead of the general election and the second time a year or so later when delivering parliamentary wine to Myrobella House with armed police training their rifles on me. Signed for his own case of wine as well! Very polite both times.

David Blunkett - Again, delivering parliamentary wine. I assume it was some suburb of Sheffield but cannot remember exactly where. Thoroughly nice bloke.

Delivered to every other consituency throughout the North East & Cumbria during this time, cannot recall any other Members of Parliament or at least they didn't leave much of an impression if I did meet them!

Met loads of Newcastle players and staff during 1996-1999 or so when the club gym was still at St James Park, we used to deliver bottled water for the coolers in the gym and offices.

Kenny Dalglish - Met him outside the lift at the main reception at the ground not long after he'd taken over. A hero of mine with an infectious smile, the general consensus is don't meet your heroes but no disappointment for me.

Freddie Shepherd - Again in the reception at St James Park, he was chairman of Newcastle at the time. Held the door for him as I was leaving with an empty sack barrow and not so much as a thankyou, then talked down to the receptionist and security guard. Utter turd of a bloke.

Alan Shearer - Have briefly seen him at the ground but delivered bottled water to his house in Ponteland multiple times when he was out for most of the season through injury. Not the most interesting fella.

Various other players that were there at the time in the gym included Steve Howey, Keith Gillespie, Darren Peacock, Steve Watson and Phillippe Albert, there were probably more but I cannot recall them. No real lasting impressions good or bad but spoke to them in some shape or form whether it just be a hello.

Kevin Keegan - Never actually saw him at St James Park because i'd only started in the job a couple of months before he left the club first time around. Did deliver bottled water to his house in Wynyard on various occasions in the few months afterwards. Another hero of mine and again not disappointed.

Eric Gates - He's from Ferryhill the same as me. In primary school he came and presented a football award to me, he was playing for Sunderland at the time.

Mike Hooper - Was the reserve keeper at Liverpool for many years behind Bruce Grobbelaar before moving to Newcastle. Straight after leaving football he ended up broke and living in a council house in my street in Ferryhill, saw him daily walking two huge dogs. My boss at the time was chairman for Spennymoor United and he'd asked me to get him his phone number to try and see if he would come and play for them. The response wasn't repeatable, it was clear he'd fallen out of love with football, thoroughly miserable.

Joe Pasquale - He was in pantomime one year at the Theatre Royal in Newcastle and we used to deliver bottled water there as well via the stage door. Full of jokes when talking to anyone he encountered, cracking bloke.

Leslie Grantham - Also in pantomime at the same time and the total opposite. Miserable, snappy and very much up himself.

Toyah Wilcox - Another pantomime rendezvous, this time at the Sunderland Empire. Held the door open as I wheeled the bottled water in. No complaints, very polite.

Jethro - I've always been a huge fan of his comedy. Went to see him at the civic in Darlington and he came in the bar beforehand, talked to a few people and signed some autographs before asking which way to the dressing room. "Dressing room, where the fox hat?"

If i've taken anything from this it's made me realise I delivered one hell of a lot of bottled water!

MotCO

Established Member
Whilst at work many years ago, I was arranging a lease for some medical equipment we required. The businessman I arranged the lease with was none other than Clive Woodward before he took on the England rugby job.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Similar threads do appear quite often so i'll quote a reply from one a few months ago. This was about celebrity encounters good or bad.

Jethro - I've always been a huge fan of his comedy. Went to see him at the civic in Darlington and he came in the bar beforehand, talked to a few people and signed some autographs before asking which way to the dressing room. "Dressing room, where the fox hat?"

If i've taken anything from this it's made me realise I delivered one hell of a lot of bottled water!
Never met him, and his comedy doesn't appeal, but met his wife in a wood (don't ask!) and know his two brothers slightly, one a publican, the other a chimney sweep, one morose and one extrovert, though I'm not saying which is which.

baz962

Established Member
Well I delivered wine to chequers , but didn't meet anyone.
First ever meeting with celebs was on a cruise. Ed Stewart was one and can't remember the others.
Used to help install TVs for EMI ( radio rentals ) special projects side. Installed at Twickenham and met Lynn Faulds Wood and her man John.
The set of that snooker game show and met Ray Reardon , Dennis Taylor , Jim Davidson .
Also delivered wine to Christopher Biggins
When working for FedEx a package to Leo Sayer.
Installed av stuff to Leavesden studio's although I only met Johnny Depp filming sleepy hollow
Did a sky box at Martin Kemp's house and met him and his wife Shirley ( wham backing singer ).
Repaired Arsene Wenger's TV and met him.
Ant and Dec just off Oxford Street.
While doing security I looked after Denise Van Outen , Jayne Middlemiss , Richard Orford ,Sweet Female attitude , Caprice , Michael Greco , Lyndsey Dawn McKenzie , East 17 . Used to work in a club in Dunstable and Fay Tozer ( steps ) and Dane Bowers used to come in.
John Barnes in Hemel Hempstead town.
At Leisure world in Hemel. Timmy Mallet , Shaun Williamson , Katy Hill , Ross Kemp and a Gladiator and John Hartson used to sing karaoke every Sunday.
Met Lacey Turner in Watford a couple of times and Pam st Clement standing next to me looking in same shop window. On set of bigger breakfast Philip Schofield. In 1996 met the entire Spanish and Dutch football teams , one staying at Sopwell house in st Alban's and the other in moat house in Borehamwood. Liverpool team at Sopwell house same year for FA cup.
Antonio Reyes at arsenal's London colney training ground.
Gary Kelly at Wembley stadium as well as P diddy. Delivered to Gary Mabbutt.
Johnny Ball at Luton airport.
Same easyJet flight as Richard keys and the actor that played Charlie Slater in EastEnders.
DJ Luck and MC neat as my mate's went to school with them.
Same flight to USA as Verne Troyer.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Never got to speak to any of them, but was within about 10 feet of Prince Phillip when he visited my former workplace. (the lab. where I worked was not in his schedule.)

Also saw someone looking very like the then Labour Party leader, Hugh Gaitskell, on Earlestown station.
Probably would not recognise some showbiz (so-called) celebrities if I fell over them.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Train related. A few years ago Su Pollard was waiting for a train at Grantham, she's a regular passenger through the area. Anyway the train was delayed so she went out to the station forecourt. The train duly arrived and departed with Ms Pollard stood on the platform arms aloft trying to blame everyone else.
Yes I've experienced one of Ms Pollards diva tantrums. She got on my DMU (a proper one) and demanded to travel 1st class as she had a 1st class ticket! Sorry dear,not on this train!
I've had a drink with Drew Pritchard and T (splendid chaps) when they visited my local pub, I've also met the Krankies whilst visiting Paignton.
I've also met several at work on trains. Highlights inc,Jenny Agutter,Jeremy Corbyn,Trevor Horn,Steve Strange and many more.

Dunnyrail

Princess Anne operated a Train on my Model Railway at a Show at the big event at Kennilworth one year.

Chriss Farlow, saw him on a Bakerloo Platform one evening in the 60’s

Keith Moon, regularly used to see him at Wembley Central Station in the 60’s. We knew each other to say Hi John, Hi Keith but that was all.

Bernie Winters signed my Autograph book at Wembley in the 50’s after opening something or other, he signed BeeWee.

Met all the cast of Cash in the Attic when I was on the Show in 2000 ish.

Ronnie Corbett stopped in his Roller at the Garage near Wembley Park Station for a fill up while I was filling my Lamberts, he needed a very large cushion to be able to see out of the window.

Met a lot of stars at Caesar’s Palace when I worked there in the mid 90’s, 3 degrees come to. India’s lovely ladies. Frank Carson was a real gentleman and very polite.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I did see Bernie Ecclestone in Harrods once, his wife was much taller (and younger) than him!

I am related (by marriage) to someone famous (Tommy Smith) though never met him, and he's dead now anyway!

tspaul26

Established Member
Let me see...

Was nearly run over by Robbie Coltrane near Inverkip when I was about 12.

Jos Buttler was brought along to my birthday dinner a couple of years ago.

My cousin used to play tennis with the bishop of Manchester.

My sister was in the same form at high school with Derek Forbes’ son

Have previously worked with Tom Lewis, Nick Nairn and Gary Rhodes.

My grandfather (before he retired) was architect to Sir Alex Ferguson and the late Sultan of Oman.

Geezertronic

Established Member

AJM580

Met Michael Palin at a book signing, a nice chap, seemed to have time for everyone. Also bumped into Norwich City goal keeper Bryan Gunn while shopping another friendly chap.

D6975

Established Member
I’ve seen loads of famous people in Bristol, mostly at TM.

Jenny Agutter, Bill Oddie, Simon King, Michaela Strachan, Sue Pollard, Michael Foot, Derek Thompson, Brenda Fricker, Craig Charles, Benedict Cumberbatch to name but ten.

Paul Jones 88

I met Donald Sinden on a train between Tonbridge and Ashford, years ago, had a brief chat with him, seemed like a real gentleman.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I've met a few and seen more, but the best story for me happened at Heathrow Airport back in 2015. Whilst waiting for an early morning to LA, I was passing the time by taking a walk through T5 when I saw someone walking towards me that I recognised. But being early morning & not having had enough coffee my brain couldn't make the connection. As we passed we both looked at each other and exchanged an "alright" greeting.

It was only after another minute I realised that the bloke that I had passed was Nico, drummer of one of my favourite bands Iron Maiden. As bad as it was to have missed the chance to at least ask for a quick selfie with a hero, because I have long hair I wonder if Nico wondered why this other bloke who looked like a metal fan didn't ask for a photo or something & just went "alreet!". I have this mental image of him telling the rest of the band that some Northern heavy metal git didn't acknowledge with anything more than a cursory nod and a grunt!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I met Donald Sinden on a train between Tonbridge and Ashford, years ago, had a brief chat with him, seemed like a real gentleman.
Took a spring break in Rye about forty years ago - found a nice small restaurant for excellent lunch only slightly marred by Donald Sinden loudly holding court at a corner table. Tried a different restaurant the following day, empty when we went in, when just after we'd ordered we heard the waiter say ''good afternoon, Mr Sinden, lovely to see you and your guests''..... :|

DerekC

Established Member
Saw Theresa May in Reading John Lewis, while she was PM. We were in the TV department. Mrs C said "look, it's Theresa May". I looked at all the TV screens wondering what Mrs C was excited about, then turned round and there she was, just as long and gawky in real life! Complete with a couple of dress-down plain clothes detectives keeping an eye on us!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My best tenuous link is once living in a flat that had a sofa once owned by Kate Moss's brother.

On Moderation
Freddie Shepherd - Again in the reception at St James Park, he was chairman of Newcastle at the time. Held the door for him as I was leaving with an empty sack barrow and not so much as a thankyou, then talked down to the receptionist and security guard. Utter turd of a bloke.
Completely agree with that assessment of him. Sir John Hall, on the other hand, came across as a gentleman. Met them when they were in a restaurant I worked at after a Manchester Utd vs Newcastle fixture in the early 1990s, back when football was played on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm. They were in with some of the Manchester Utd directors. I remember Shepherd trying to convince Martin Edwards to do a swap of Lee Clark for Mark Hughes. Fortunately Martin Edwards wasn't interested, or I might have had to step in! I mean, Lee Clark was a decent player, but you'd never swap Sparky for him!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I think I mentioned this on an earlier thread,the headmistress at my junior school was the sister of tennis player Sue Barker.

Journeyman

Established Member
Saw Theresa May in Reading John Lewis, while she was PM. We were in the TV department. Mrs C said "look, it's Theresa May". I looked at all the TV screens wondering what Mrs C was excited about, then turned round and there she was, just as long and gawky in real life! Complete with a couple of dress-down plain clothes detectives keeping an eye on us!
I saw Michael Gove in the cafe at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York in 2016!

Talking of politicians, I've met a few, including Ken Livingstone, Alex Salmond, Michael Portillo and Sebastian Coe, when he was a Tory MP. I used to sell tickets to Seb Coe when I was a station booking clerk. If you'll excuse the language, he's easily the most arrogant and obnoxious w*nker I've ever met in my life.

Never met him, and his comedy doesn't appeal, but met his wife in a wood (don't ask!) and know his two brothers slightly, one a publican, the other a chimney sweep, one morose and one extrovert, though I'm not saying which is which.

Ahhh Les and Don… Les used to run the Engine Inn outside of St Ives (on the coach road to Penzance) and last I knew of Don was he lived just outside Penzance in Heamoor. Used to drink in my local when I lived there. I fixed his mobile phone for him. Nice enough chap.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Met Michael Palin at a book signing, a nice chap, seemed to have time for everyone. Also bumped into Norwich City goal keeper Bryan Gunn while shopping another friendly chap.

Never heard a bad word about Michael Palin.

westv

Established Member
I am quite happy to sign a few autographs when I get recognised when out and about.

I am quite happy to sign a few autographs when I get recognised when out and about.
Yes I went to the pub the other day and was surprised not to be besieged by autograph hunters, because I'm a legend in my own lunchtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.