• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any DIs here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johncleesefan

Hi all,
I’m a qualified driver of 4 and half years and my depot is advertising DIs expression of interest.
I’ve always wanted to become a DI as in previous jobs I used to mentor people and enjoy that.

anyway, any advise on what the workshop demonstration might involve?
It won’t be for a while obviously due to social distancing and cab restrictions.

cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
At my TOC it will involve mainly role play. You'll get an arrogant trainee who won't listen, a smart a*** know it all who mucks up, someone who has a panic, someone who just doesn't like you and stuff like that. It's all about how you manage these people. I was also asked what techniques I had for passing information and checking back and underpinning the knowledge. Hope that helps.

Johncleesefan

Really? Gwr have banned all training for the time being. No cab sharing, rule book requirements still stand as for assessing.
Nice one scotraildriver. I have asked management what the process will likely involve and they mentioned a practical workshop so I expect what you describe is what it will be.
Pretending to teach a Comp manager how to drive etc.

Thanks again

KT530

It's gonna depend on the TOC.

My TOC still has Trainees with DIs
If true then that is quite astonishing as it clearly goes against current government guidelines. ASLEF also currently have a one person per cab policy.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Our DI's were offered a choice. Most have stayed with their Trainee's. They have also been asked about taking on new Trainees or drivers returning from isolation and need a refresh. Some of our DI's have also been working daily and not taken the SP turns.

Part of that responsibility of being a DI is knowing when you need to work and when you don't.

ComUtoR

Established Member
If true then that is quite astonishing as it clearly goes against current government guidelines. ASLEF also currently have a one person per cab policy.

I wouldn't post it if it wasn't true. ASLEF have also agreed it at my TOC. No objections have been raised whatsoever.

DA1

Yes this is definitely true. The company says they can continue as part of their organised training programme. I have to admit I was quite surprised but this pandemic is all about common sense so if both parties are fine to continue then why not.

driver9000

Established Member
I didn't have to do role play or do workshops but I read up on the DI job description which offers some clues to the additional parts required of you as a DI. Talk to the other Instructors at your company for advice and one of the easiest ways to think about instructing is how would you act if you were route conducting someone?

One thing we focused on was communication and giving session feedback taking into account what has happened and whether you have the confidence to be take charge as necessary (for example stopping the train if the trainee isn't acting on your instructions). I like to think I'm fairly laid back when training but always watching closely what's happening and I give information in advance to alert the trainee to what is coming so the need to shut off or brake is not a surprise to them. I expect you'll be given a brief rules assessment too so brush up on those too. Good luck!

Established Member

ASLEF’s policy excludes “essential training”. Hence safety days, assessed drives etc. can still take place, and DIs can still accompany trainees.

Johncleesefan

Oh cheers. I’m going to be drawing from many experiences of route conducting and training drivers on new routes which I have done and allowed them to drive. Obviously slightly different as they’re already qualified.
Thanks all

Octopus28

I wouldn't post it if it wasn't true. ASLEF have also agreed it at my TOC. No objections have been raised whatsoever.
Apparently if your trainee has more than 50 hours handling time and both parties agree, they can continue. OR if the company needs people to pass out for the means of the business. So yes it’s totally correct what you’re saying

the sniper

Established Member
ASLEF’s policy excludes “essential training”. Hence safety days, assessed drives etc. can still take place, and DIs can still accompany trainees.

To quote the journal, which is available publicly online:

ASLEF understands that, during the covid19 crisis,there will be exceptional
circumstances when training could be used
to deliver more qualified drivers to meet
the demands of the freight and passenger
sectors. For example, drivers who would be
doing final assessments or training that
would make them productive in days rather
than weeks
and not to carry out that
training would unnecessarily impact on the
delivery of an emergency timetable or
service. But just because a company has
carried out a risk assessment does not
automatically mean training is essential.
We advise that best practice is that all
non-essential driver training should cease
,’
said Mick Whelan.‘Essential training that
facilitates the objectives above is permitted
only if this is agreed with our negotiators
and the individuals concerned

Personally I'm surprised to read there are TOCs where Trainee & DI pairing hasn't been stopped at all. There are certainly TOCs where all training has been suspended, which I think makes far more sense...

Established Member
To quote the journal, which is available publicly online:

Personally I'm surprised to read there are TOCs where Trainee & DI pairing hasn't been stopped at all. There are certainly TOCs where all training has been suspended, which I think makes far more sense...

Thanks for posting chapter and verse. DIs are certainly still with trainees at my place which, as you say, isn’t really in keeping with the above. Especially when the trainees aren’t anywhere near ready for their final assessment.

LCC106

Established Member
Back to the original question, I’d hazard a guess it’s worth brushing up on Non Technical Skills too.

LCC106

Established Member
Yep. Common sense but with a load of buzz words attached.

UpRoad

While generally I always tell a trainee to put the rule book behind them for the first few weeks and focus on driving (as they are ruined from focus the first few weeks). I always go over the rules of protection and conductor driving with a trainee almost immediately and very frequently during their hours. Everything else rules related can be talked through as they drive or when you encounter certain situations, but should something happen to you as an instructor during an emergency, the trainee MUST know what to do without hesitation. I brought this and NTS to the table and was successful.
Regarding How I sold NTS, I didn’t do it conventionally.
I pushed on how to read prospective trainees before even putting them in the seat. Generally you’ll have a chat with the trainee before hand. Although some Tocs have DIs show up and find out there is a trainee waiting. But done right, you should have a good sit down.
Are they listening to the simple rules you may outline with them. Are they taking notes?(some do), if so are they quickly fumbling for a pen and paper?
do they already have a route atlas, if so did they get given it or source one?
how easily do they communicate with you, obviously nerves are likely a factor, how quickly can they put nerves aside?
It all tells you a lot about the individual and relates to NTS.
multitasking, communication, calm methodical approach and so on.

most importantly how I’d use this information to mould around the trainee not the other way around.

Last edited:

HeelBurton

I was a DI in a previous life. Worth knowing your NTS, your rules, driving policy etc. . I was given a few scenario based questions such as

what you would do if your Trainee tripped over speed grids towards a permanent speed restriction (it was location specific)

how you would handle a clash of personality and/opinion in the cab,

Give an example of when you saw someone doing something unsafe on the railway/what did you do/what was the outcome and finally

I had to explain Emergency Special Working when it was in the trial period with visual aids where the two assessors were asking questions on things I was saying.

Also questions on what the DI role means in my eyes.

I hope this helps a little. I assume some places do things differently.

Efini92

Established Member
Have you let anyone else drive? How did you feel about it.
Do you enjoy driving? You have to understand you’re going to be giving up that seat for months at a time.

Johncleesefan

Thanks for your replies.
Yeh I have had loads of route learners and happy to let them drive and me conduct. I appreciate this if different as they’re already qualified it certainly gives a taste.
I used to mentor people in my previous job so have experience of people management.
I’m laid back in personality and generally don’t conflict with people so would hope not to have too many clash’s in personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.