• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any good publications regarding nuclear waste trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolleyPovey

Hey all, I'm wanting to do some search into Nuclear Waste trains, and I'm looking for some books that contain information on them (Train formations, railhead track plans, anything really, I just want to know more about them. I checked "The Railways and Britain's Nuclear Industry" by David McAlone, but it seems it's more about the history of the industry, and not the trains themselves.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfonso

Basic stuff is easy to find...what types of locos pull them, where they go to and from (unsurprisingly from places that create the waste to places that can deal with it) and you can see maps and aerial/satellite images with the tracks on. More detailed information is not readily available for obvious security related reasons. Be a good citizen and don't go digging!

John Webb

Established Member
The current issue of Hornby Magazine (Issue 165, March 2021) has a four-page article (pages 98-102) on "Nuclear Trains" which may be of interest to you as a summary of their history.

The original flask wagons in the 1960's were based on the Trestrol wagon with 6-wheel bogies. They would have traveled between the Magnox stations e.g. Sizewell A and Sellafield.
Have a look on Utube for the flask test crash at Old Dalby.
Not sure if it is still there, but the flask from the test crash was at the NRM York.

RolleyPovey

The current issue of Hornby Magazine (Issue 165, March 2021) has a four-page article (pages 98-102) on "Nuclear Trains" which may be of interest to you as a summary of their history.
Great, that'll definitely be interesting.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/151247-direct-rail-services-25-years-bookazine/ is about a 'bookazine' which is all about DRS. It covers nuclear waste services for at least four pages.

-Peter :)
Looks great, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.