Any idea where this old Mk3 sleeper coach is going?

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by gimmea50anyday, 28 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimmea50anyday

gimmea50anyday Established Member

http://s15.postimg.org/hl9kqjzrv/image.jpg[\img]

Any idea where this sleeper is going and what for?

Image taken on A50 at uttoxeter, courtesy of nick green on the facebook page -withdrawn locomotives

It has no doors, so i speculate its off for door mods a la 442/chiltern mainline but chiltern dont use sleepers, and GNER proved sleepers were unsuitable for day stock conversions.

The bogies and corridor ends are brand new so i cant see it going for scrap

Any ideas?

2. Juniper Driver

Juniper Driver Established Member

3. gimmea50anyday

gimmea50anyday Established Member

Thanks. Every time i tried posting it using my ipad, safari was crashing out!

4. CosherB

CosherB Established Member

Interesting pic, although I've also no idea what it's for. I'd have normally said it looked like a significant refurb, but the access doors makes this look more intriguing .....

5. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

Could it be for conversion to a NR vehicle ?

6. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

Doesn't look like it's going for door mods - Mk3's have wrap around doors so it just hasn't got them presently fitted at the moment.

That corridor connection end does look refurbished, and those bogies are also refurbished with green springs which is just what the FGW ones are receiving now. It is also being moved by Reid Freight who do have a base in that area, so would say that it's more than likely to be a FGW Sleeper on the move. Why part way through refurbishment I don't know, perhaps from Wolverton to Springburn perhaps?

FGWs Night Riviera vehicles are currently undergoing refurbishment by RailCare (or whatever it is these days) and the Mk3s are being moved by Reid Freight by Road, so I'd be pretty certain that this is what it is. It's certainly seen a visit to a paint shop as the windows are covered in Masking Tape and the end of the coach and roof has been repainted dark grey - Just as FGW's new 'GWR' livery seems to be.

Just came across these pictures of one of the BFO's up in Springburn being delivered by Reids.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.809972125719235.1073742031.149436391772815&type=1

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  7. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

FGW are taking on another sleeper (and day coach) could it be that one or am I behind the times.

8. fgwrich

Correct, in fact I reckon this one could be it as there's no hint of Blue, and more importantly this is going from Wolverton to Springburn where the rest of them are being done at. Those extra Mk3s were delivered I think from Long Marston to Wolverton, so it's understandable if this has been part worked on, then going to join the rest of the fleet in Scotland.

9. Peter Sarf

Peter Sarf Established Member

Uttoxeter is a bit out of the way ?. Maybe a break but the most direct route would be the M6 or A34 if avoiding motorways. I can only guess that its come off the M1 to get to the A50. But then the A5 would make more sense.

Am I really worrying about the routing of trains - on roads :oops:.

10. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

Whats actually being done internally on this refurb? Anyone got ideas?

11. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

New GWR colours, inside and out, I'll wager.

12. CC 72100

CC 72100 Established Member

I knew some of the sleeper coaches had been repainted, but currently at Long Rock is a repainted buffet coach for the Night Riviera. No idea if anything internal has been done though.

13. 395 Olympic Javelin

395 Olympic Javelin Member

Both of the coaches are just in a new livery and the interior is the same as the last refurb

14. dubscottie

dubscottie Member

The bogies look wide.. and buffers missing .. 5'3" conversion?

Maybe its a staff sleeper for the Belmont Irish train?

Nope.. brand new ETS socket so for the UK..

Last edited: 31 May 2015
  15. Greeby

Greeby Member

Unless there's another one that looks similar, this coach and low-loader turned up at the entrance to Wolverton Works as I was on the way to the station yesterday afternoon

16. Steve14

Steve14 Member

Had the pleasure of seeing the new GWR livery on the sleeper coach as my HST rolled into Paddington. By looking at the sleeper on the move, it's defo a GWR sleeper as I noticed the same springs on the one I saw this morning. Bearing in mind, FGW is going to completely revamp their trains alongwith their branding hence why the sleeper is on the move for refurb.

Attached Files:

17. fgwrich

They are the unrefurbished but repainted ones. The first refurbished sleepers are on their way, and in the New DfT/GW led livery. A few Sneak Preview shots have found their way to Flickr, and will largely be similar to the new First Class interior.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/co-tr...3T-tBfcva-sWRAuV-sWFgzm-tB6M9E-tTmmB1-tTmi49/

18. dave12435

dave12435 Member

Looking very nice
    It's great to see such a vote of confidence in sleeper services what with the GW refurbishments and Caledionian Sleeper planning new coaches.
    Would be interesting to see if any new sleeper services crop up to compete with the short-haul airlines.

19. 395 Olympic Javelin

395 Olympic Javelin Member

Looks amazing the interior does and what's the number of that coach and does it also have the large GWR logo?

20. dysonsphere

dysonsphere Member

It must be a preferred route there is a steady stream of steam locos diesels and coaches over it. (I used to live facing it)

21. trubla

trubla Member

As the A5 is closed most nights with major roadworks in the Hinckley Area, and the 'long load' rest area at junction 10 A42 closed for some building work on motorway below, avoiding the A5 is rather sensible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.