• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any idea where this old Mk3 sleeper coach is going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
http://s15.postimg.org/hl9kqjzrv/image.jpg[\img]

Any idea where this sleeper is going and what for?

Image taken on A50 at uttoxeter, courtesy of nick green on the facebook page -withdrawn locomotives

It has no doors, so i speculate its off for door mods a la 442/chiltern mainline but chiltern dont use sleepers, and GNER proved sleepers were unsuitable for day stock conversions.

The bogies and corridor ends are brand new so i cant see it going for scrap

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
Interesting pic, although I've also no idea what it's for. I'd have normally said it looked like a significant refurb, but the access doors makes this look more intriguing .....

fgwrich

Established Member
Doesn't look like it's going for door mods - Mk3's have wrap around doors so it just hasn't got them presently fitted at the moment.

That corridor connection end does look refurbished, and those bogies are also refurbished with green springs which is just what the FGW ones are receiving now. It is also being moved by Reid Freight who do have a base in that area, so would say that it's more than likely to be a FGW Sleeper on the move. Why part way through refurbishment I don't know, perhaps from Wolverton to Springburn perhaps?

FGWs Night Riviera vehicles are currently undergoing refurbishment by RailCare (or whatever it is these days) and the Mk3s are being moved by Reid Freight by Road, so I'd be pretty certain that this is what it is. It's certainly seen a visit to a paint shop as the windows are covered in Masking Tape and the end of the coach and roof has been repainted dark grey - Just as FGW's new 'GWR' livery seems to be.

Just came across these pictures of one of the BFO's up in Springburn being delivered by Reids.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.809972125719235.1073742031.149436391772815&type=1

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
FGW are taking on another sleeper (and day coach) could it be that one or am I behind the times.

fgwrich

Established Member
FGW are taking on another sleeper (and day coach) could it be that one or am I behind the times.

Correct, in fact I reckon this one could be it as there's no hint of Blue, and more importantly this is going from Wolverton to Springburn where the rest of them are being done at. Those extra Mk3s were delivered I think from Long Marston to Wolverton, so it's understandable if this has been part worked on, then going to join the rest of the fleet in Scotland.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Uttoxeter is a bit out of the way ?. Maybe a break but the most direct route would be the M6 or A34 if avoiding motorways. I can only guess that its come off the M1 to get to the A50. But then the A5 would make more sense.

Am I really worrying about the routing of trains - on roads :oops:.

CC 72100

Established Member
I knew some of the sleeper coaches had been repainted, but currently at Long Rock is a repainted buffet coach for the Night Riviera. No idea if anything internal has been done though.

dubscottie

The bogies look wide.. and buffers missing .. 5'3" conversion?

Maybe its a staff sleeper for the Belmont Irish train?

Nope.. brand new ETS socket so for the UK..

Last edited:

Greeby

Unless there's another one that looks similar, this coach and low-loader turned up at the entrance to Wolverton Works as I was on the way to the station yesterday afternoon

Steve14

Had the pleasure of seeing the new GWR livery on the sleeper coach as my HST rolled into Paddington. By looking at the sleeper on the move, it's defo a GWR sleeper as I noticed the same springs on the one I saw this morning. Bearing in mind, FGW is going to completely revamp their trains alongwith their branding hence why the sleeper is on the move for refurb.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 103

fgwrich

Established Member

dave12435

They are the unrefurbished but repainted ones. The first refurbished sleepers are on their way, and in the New DfT/GW led livery. A few Sneak Preview shots have found their way to Flickr, and will largely be similar to the new First Class interior.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/co-tr...3T-tBfcva-sWRAuV-sWFgzm-tB6M9E-tTmmB1-tTmi49/

Looking very nice
It's great to see such a vote of confidence in sleeper services what with the GW refurbishments and Caledionian Sleeper planning new coaches.
Would be interesting to see if any new sleeper services crop up to compete with the short-haul airlines.

dysonsphere

Uttoxeter is a bit out of the way ?. Maybe a break but the most direct route would be the M6 or A34 if avoiding motorways. I can only guess that its come off the M1 to get to the A50. But then the A5 would make more sense.

Am I really worrying about the routing of trains - on roads :oops:.

It must be a preferred route there is a steady stream of steam locos diesels and coaches over it. (I used to live facing it)

trubla

As the A5 is closed most nights with major roadworks in the Hinckley Area, and the 'long load' rest area at junction 10 A42 closed for some building work on motorway below, avoiding the A5 is rather sensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.