• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any Info On 43029?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeholmes

Does anyone no where this loco is, I've spent a while looking out for her and still nothing!

(43029 was the rear power car from the Ufton Nervet train de-railment).

Many Thanks,
J.Holmes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprog

Established Member
Last thing i heard, it was dumped at Laira T&RSMD - presumably waiting repair/reinstatment into traffic. It may be delayed becasue of legal/insurance issues, etc

joeholmes

Im been looking at detail into this crash again, and i feel (dispite the very unfortunate 7 deaths) I think its very lucky the train was in reverse formation. If you review the damage impact to the carrages you'll see that First Class carriages took most the impact. And the buffet car was written off! I know the crash was awful and the loss of life dreadful, but many more would have died if the train was in "normal formation".

Joe

Sprog

Established Member
True, true.

To be quite frank, it is Stan and his family who i have the most sympathy for. Can you imagine what it would be like to be rolling along at 100mph in the dark, only for your headlights to pick up a car in your path, just seconds before impact. When i first heard about the crash, i was miffed as to whether a car had broken down on the crossing, or if someone had zig-zagged the barriers - which angered me enough - but when i discovered it was a suicide, i was absolutly disgusted and appalled. I cannot begin to understand how someone can do that without any regard for any of the innocent passengers or the driver. If he wanted to die, why couldnt he have just jumped infront of the train. Still bad, but at least 6 people (i refuse to count the suidicider in the death tally, as it was not a railway death and hes was far from innocent) would still be alive today.

There was a 'copy-cat' incident recentley in Anglia, where apparently a suicidal person parked his car on a crossing and he was ultimatly hit and killed by a CT Turbostar, which caused the car to catch alight, badly damaging the unit - it is now out of service for many months. Could have been alot worse though, as the car was trapped underneath the front of the unit.

As for the apparent 'outrage' that a set of points where siruated close to the Crossing, i think it is ridiculas that they tried to shift the blame to another party. I shouldnt imagine the people who designed the track layout would have ever invisiged someone deliberatly parking their car on the crossing - just the same with the designer of the World Trade Centre Towers never invisiged thousands of tonnes of commercial airliner ploughing through the strucutres at full speed.

November the 6th 2004 was a terrible day but, alas, there is no going-back so all we can do is learn from the incident and try and attempt to prevent it happening ever again. Although, no matter how many barriers, lights and prevention measures you put on crossigs, if people are determined enough, they will find a way. Its a sad, sad fact.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well said spm_43030. Didn't know they tried pinning blame on the points near the crossing!

This thread and discussion drags up memories of 43019 for me. Such a beast it was... :cry:

Guinness

Established Member
FGWFan said:
43019 for me. Such a beast it was... :cry:

Isn't 43019 the same as the other 'beasts' seen as they are 43s. ;) Sad story to that Loco though.... :(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
019 was my pet power car. Everyone has a loco/unit/carriage they like more than the rest of them. 019 was the one I liked the most, to see it written off I was NOT happy about! Only got a 640*480 shot of it too, no shot of the nameplate either.

Sprog

Established Member
I think it was good (sorry FGWfan :oops: ) that 019 was scrapped. I mean, after all...someone was burried alive in it (yes, thats right, you heard me correctly, Stan died of suffocation, as the front P/C dug into the trackbed, so allowing ballast and rubble to fill the cab :cry: :cry: :cry: ) Those of you who didnt know that, may understand why i feel so much for Stan.

Same applies to 66521 (selby - RIP Steve :cry: ), though that has been written off, but not yet scrapped. The '43' involved in Ladbroke Grove too.

Its out of dignity and respect i feel, aswell as the physical damage. And also, seriously, would you want to drive in 43019 konwing what horrific things had happened in its cab?? :(

As for 'pets', yes many enthusiasts have a 'pet'. Mine is 43030 as i spent my Weeks work experiance at St. Phillips Marsh HST Depot in Bristol, doing exams and repairs on her. (she was laid up on 'SPM' all week waiting for Bombardier fitters to come down, because of a suspected 'Dropped Valve' - not good! :shock: - on Cylinder 'A6' ). My week at SPM is also where i aquired my 'Sprog' nickname btw ;)

Sprog

Established Member
AlexS said:
66521 is dumped in the staff car park at Leeds Midland Road as I recall - not been scrapped because the scrap value is too low at the moment or something.

Tis right. But i dont think its to do with Scrap value. After all, this is FL we are talking about. The locomotive has been stripped of useable parts. I believe (or have been told) that it hasnt been broken up yet, because of insurance and legal issues.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
spm_43030 said:
I think it was good (sorry FGWfan :oops: ) that 019 was scrapped. I mean, after all...someone was burried alive in it (yes, thats right, you heard me correctly, Stan died of suffocation, as the front P/C dug into the trackbed, so allowing ballast and rubble to fill the cab :cry: :cry: :cry: ) Those of you who didnt know that, may understand why i feel so much for Stan.

Same applies to 66521 (selby - RIP Steve :cry: ), though that has been written off, but not yet scrapped. The '43' involved in Ladbroke Grove too.

Its out of dignity and respect i feel, aswell as the physical damage. And also, seriously, would you want to drive in 43019 konwing what horrific things had happened in its cab?? :(

As for 'pets', yes many enthusiasts have a 'pet'. Mine is 43030 as i spent my Weeks work experiance at St. Phillips Marsh HST Depot in Bristol, doing exams and repairs on her. (she was laid up on 'SPM' all week waiting for Bombardier fitters to come down, because of a suspected 'Dropped Valve' - not good! :shock: - on Cylinder 'A6' ). My week at SPM is also where i aquired my 'Sprog' nickname btw ;)

I wholeheartedly agree that is was good to write it off after the incident. I wouldn't want to drive it afterwards. When I mentioned it annoying me that it was written off, I meant I was unhappy with the idiot who parked up on the crossing.

On a different subject, what did 'Sprog' come from? I've never heard of the nickname before.

Sprog

Established Member
Sprog means 'little one'. Erm, its used in depots etc, to describe the n00b or the rookie. I was the 'littleist' at the depot, so i was adressed as Sprog (well, cept by Mark, my 'partner', who called me plain Tom :) ) and 'scouse', another (funny :lol: ) fitter who called me 'Bob' :lol:.

Anyway, he name stuck, and everyone called me sprog all week. Then, not long after my week, following a reccomendation from one fo the staff, i joined wwww.traindriver.co.uk. The alias i choose was 'Sprog'. After about 6months though, the forum unfortunatly closed due to a small argument that turned inot a union dispute. ASLEF got involved, and they threatened to take legal action against the webmaster (click the link to see the official 'letter' he received).

I was very upset after loosing 'TrainDriver', as i d made many 'freinds' on there i thought id never see again. After a few weeks, i discovered RailChat, and used the same 'Sprog' ID. I soon found quite a few of the original TrainDriver posters on there including the infamous fGW driver, Bulwark 8) :lol:. Anyway, so, after this, i thought a change of Alias (ID) was in order, so after lots of thought, i decided upon spm - The 'Marsh' depot code (PM officially, but its known as 'SPM' in the industry - and 43030 - my pet powercar. Hence = spm_43030 :D

But due to the fact that many on RailChat adress me as Sprog, and so hacve other people i have met at Meets, etc, i decided to retain the Sprog name, and it has stuck as my Nickname :)

So now ya know! :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorted! Also learnt something in that I didn't know it was unofficially referred to as spm by those working in the industry.

Muppet

Im not sure on this but i think i saw 43029 last saturday speeding past stroud

due to diversions.

Edit rephrased

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Eh? Not following that post...

HSTs were last weekend, and are this weekend, diverted between Worcester Shrub Hill and Reading due to engineering works between Oxford and Hanborough to lay down new track IIRC. The 0721 HFD - Padd is diverted, Cheltenham Spa services are extended to Worcester Shrub Hill. On the Saturday services being diverted don't call at Gloucester if bound for Worcester or Hereford, due to station capacity issues, the South Wales services doing the honours of serving Gloucester.

Status
Not open for further replies.