• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any memories of the Weymouth Tramway to docks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxmanValenta

Does anyone remember when trains to Weymouth docks used to travel along a tramway snaking through the streets of Weymouth?
I remember they were always class 33s hauling mark 1 stock. Were passengers allowed to flush the toilets when passing along the tramway as it could have been a bit messy for the streets of Weymouth?
Also what happened if a car was obstructing the tramway?

Do occasional trains still use this tramway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pitdiver

As a regular visitor to Weymouth I can certainly remember the tramway being used. I never travelled on it however I have used the facilities at Weymouth Quay to travel to the Channel Islands.

That was an interesting experience as arrrival procedures were conducted in the same area as departing passengers would use. This was in the days when Customs officers would scribble in chalk on your luggage.

On see Fred Ivey's film, who I have the pleasure to meet on a number of occasions I can see what a disruptive operation it was. No wonder it was discontinued.

As a matter of interest I can remember when there were large cranes along the quayside at Weymouth for unloading the freight from the Channel Islands.

najaB

Veteran Member
Do occasional trains still use this tramway?
I believe the last train to use it was in the mid 2000's - however, while out of use (OOU) at present, the tramway is not officially closed. There have been proposals to close it completely, which are competing with proposals to bring it back into use as a bit of an attraction. It isn't clear which side will 'win'.

83G/84D

Established Member
I have got photo's of a Class 33 & 4TC set going along the Weymouth Quay line and will post if anyone wants to see them.

Veteran Member
I can remember the train (only one per boat by then) being hauled by diesel shunters (D2xxx) to and from the junction, and preceded by a man with a red flag rather than a police car. I believe some strengthening had to be done to allow the 33s down the tramway.

steamybrian

Established Member
I travelled on it twice- once on a Channel Islands Boat train and once on a railtour.
The line is now closed but the track is still in situ.
Parked cars often blocked the track but were either manhandled out of the way by rail staff or towed away by the Police.

Hornet

Traveled down and back on the Channel Island Boat Train in the late '70's. Class 73 hauled to Bournemouth, then 33 from there to the Quay Station. It was dark when we went down the Quay line but the return, a week later, was done in the morning. Have a shot of the 06:40 Weymouth Quay to Waterloo, (Class 33 hauled), on the morning of the 18th June 1983, standing at the Quay Station, in my collection. There is also a collection of short wheelbase tank wagons in the picture, so freight was also operating down to the Quay at that time.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Fuel for the ferries? By that stage they were ro-ro so no other freight.

Veteran Member
IIRC 1367-9 were allocated from new, and moved to Wadebridge for the Wenford Bridge line in 61 or 62 when the diesels arrived, replacing the Beattie well tanks there.

Elwyn

I remember travelling on it a couple of times in the 1970s.You could see straight into people’s bedrooms, 6 feet away, as you travelled along the road. Strange. I think car drivers were more aware the line was used then and don’t recall any major hold ups due to parked vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.