• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any more news on Ilkeston station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I suspect this is as much to do with the rules on taxis as it is anything else - Ilkeston-based taxis (licensed in Derbyshire) would not be allowed to pick up passengers from a rank on the Nottinghamshire side of the railway.

Does that mean if you wanted a taxi to say IKEA you'd end up paying a more expensive cross-boarder rate, unless you happened to find a Nottinghamshire taxi sitting on the other side of the station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

This morning. Not much happening on the Nottinghamshire side (first picture) - though there is a container sited their, out of view. More activity on the Derbyshire(second picture) side though. Both pictures taken from Millership Way where the access road to the car park is to be sited.

Attachments

• 20151029_101301.jpg
    20151029_101301.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20151029_101425.jpg
    20151029_101425.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

ilkestonian

This morning. Not much happening on the Nottinghamshire side (first picture) - though there is a container sited their, out of view. More activity on the Derbyshire(second picture) side though. Both pictures taken from Millership Way where the access road to the car park is to be sited.

Thanks for posting the pictures. :D

Interesting to see the progress.

Taken sometime in August from the Derbyshire side looking across to the Nottinghamshire Car Park. Sorry but for some reason the upload has rotated the photo.

Attachments

• August 2016.jpg
    August 2016.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Taken at 5pm today from the Nottinghamshire Side looking across to the Derbyshire side with Armstrong Mills in the background.

Attachments

• 30Sept2016.jpg
    30Sept2016.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 110

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Not to mention the Dewdrop Hotel in the background too ...

Having lived at Trowell Junction from 1963-76 I cannot help but observe that some idiot has singled the slow lines, which strikes me as silly, always has. Especially as HS2 from Toton will ultimately go to Sheffield up the Erewash Valley.

Andrew

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I would be surprised but the station is moving quickly. No one has made any date announcements recently.

I agree October looks unikely, maybe December timetable change? Unless of course somebody finds a last minute safety hitch, which seems to happen far too often.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Having lived at Trowell Junction from 1963-76 I cannot help but observe that some idiot has singled the slow lines, which strikes me as silly, always has. Especially as HS2 from Toton will ultimately go to Sheffield up the Erewash Valley.

Current suggestion is for HS2 Sheffield trains to join the Erewash line by a new spur near Tibshelf, on the part that was reduced to two or three tracks a long time ago, possibly at the Trent resignalling of 1969?

However I agree it was very short sighted to locate the cable routes and location cases for the 2008 re-signalling on the path of the fourth track, thus making it far more expensive to put it back if ever needed. Coal traffic is disappearing but the Midland slows are probably the easiest option to create more north-south capacity for freight, given the difficulties of ever reinstating the Great Central particularly through and north of Leicester.

It's also a shame there isn't a third platform face at Ilkeston, as the third track is now cleared for passenger use although I've only ever been along it once. I daresay the platform could be widened but it looks like the shelter would have to go if this was ever to happen.

Last edited:

a_c_skinner

Established Member
The network vandalism of putting non-track infrastructure in where old lines have been removed never ceases to amaze me. Lancaster's potential platform 6 has OHLE plumb in the way of any track work. There are legion examples of this sort of cheeseparing.

Surely Toton to Sheffield will end up on the Erewash Valley throughout? Making the Erewash line faster must be better value than another spur? Mind you I know amateurs invent crackpot schemes but third rail and some 442s would be just the ticket on here.

IIRC there were four lines at Trowell Jn as late as 1976, when I married and moved to Nottingham.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Surely Toton to Sheffield will end up on the Erewash Valley throughout? Making the Erewash line faster must be better value than another spur?

It's quite constrained by curvature, for example a curve north Ilkeston and a couple more around Pye Bridge are well under 1000m radius.

IIRC there were four lines at Trowell Jn as late as 1976, when I married and moved to Nottingham.

There still are four at Trowell but they reduce to three one block further to the north, with the reverse arrangement at Pye Bridge (but crossovers to the Fasts in both places). The section in between was still quadruple when I moved to Nottingham in the late 80s. I don't know when the Down Goods closed but a few bits of it just disappeared before the rest was taken out at the re-signalling. A new two-track bridge was put in at Langley Mill sometime around 2000, and I'm pretty sure one of the spans never carried a train.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I did say it was a crackpot scheme, at least I didn't suggest the Old Road from Chesterfield.

Andrew

Does that mean if you wanted a taxi to say IKEA you'd end up paying a more expensive cross-boarder rate, unless you happened to find a Nottinghamshire taxi sitting on the other side of the station?

hackneys can only ply in their area of registration

PHV journeys which by their very nature are prebooked ( even if it's a matter of second ahead by app or phone call) and pre-booked journeys in a hackney can start and finish anywhere in the UK ... ( hence the number of 'out of area' PHVs in the East midlands becasue of the percieved ease of registering a pHV in Gedling Borough )

20161201_092120.jpg

Taken 09.15 yesterday morning - still awaiting the new footbridge that was due to be in in November....

Is that the famous newts' pond on the left of the photo?

Ha - possibly - there is also a bigger pond/mini lake on the right of the picture. I have also seen this whole area under water as it is part of the flood plain for the River Erewash!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Passing yesterday morning the ramp on the southbound platform had its first piece in situ at the top to the left of the stairs.
The footbridge was in place linking the two sets of stairs. The road bridge is a 3 piece bridge and presumably there are 2 more pieces of footbridge to put in either side of the stairs, to link the bridge to the existing Coronation Road/Station Road Pavements.

Passing this afternoon.
Both ramps completed. Both steps completed. 3 sections of footbridge in - presumably it just needs linking to the existing pavement and then finally they might reopen the road bridge fully and traffic chaos in Ilkeston might be reduced....

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Passing this afternoon.
Both ramps completed. Both steps completed. 3 sections of footbridge in - presumably it just needs linking to the existing pavement and then finally they might reopen the road bridge fully and traffic chaos in Ilkeston might be reduced....

We are halfway through December and noting the progress report stated above, has there been any official opening date been mentioned anywhere?

Walking down station road this evening and over the road bridge - the footbridge appears to actually require two more sections to link it to the existing pavement - these will be at right angles to the existing flow of the carriageway as the footbridge is a considerable distance away from the existing road bridge.

Jordeh

Opening 2nd April 2017
Full steam ahead as Erewash MP names the date for new station opening

Ilkeston Station
Tuesday, 17 January, 2017
Erewash MP Maggie Throup is delighted to announce that trains will begin stopping at Ilkeston’s new railway station on Sunday 2nd April 2017, with an official opening expected to follow later in the summer.

The details were today confirmed to Ms Throup in an email from Network Rail and will come as welcome news to the people of Ilkeston who have waited over 50 years to be reconnected to the railway.

The new £10 million station project was made possible because of a £6.6 million Government infrastructure investment package administered through the New Stations Fund.

Announcing the date, Maggie said:

“I am delighted that at long last we finally have a firm date for passenger trains to begin operating to and from Ilkeston’s new station.

“The station will not only transform the way local people travel, but will undoubtedly give a significant boost to the local economy and attract new business to the area.

“Sunday 2nd April 2017 will be a historic day in the life of our town as we finally cast off the dubious title ‘the largest town in Britain without a station’, and I for one cannot wait to be on that first passenger train as it pulls into Ilkeston Junction after an interval of over 50 years.

“This investment by the Conservative Government demonstrates the commitment we have made to improving Britain’s aging railway infrastructure. However I now want to see even more investment to make sure we connect the station up with the rest of the town to maximise the benefits.”
https://www.maggiethroup.com/news/full-steam-ahead-erewash-mp-names-date-new-station-opening

HowardGWR

Established Member
Where will be the largest town without a station after Ilkeston opens (see quoted report)?

Perhaps Skelmersdale?

sheff1

Established Member
Where will be the largest town without a station after Ilkeston opens (see quoted report)?

The same as it was before Ilkeston opened :D.

There are at least half a dozen towns larger than Ilkeston which do not have a railway station.

HowardGWR

Established Member
The same as it was before Ilkeston opened :D.

There are at least half a dozen towns larger than Ilkeston which do not have a railway station.

Oh, so the MP was lying was she? As you are so knowledgeable, could you kindly name a few please?

sheff1

Established Member
Oh, so the MP was lying was she? As you are so knowledgeable, could you kindly name a few please?

How can you tell a politician is lying ? - "their lips move".
the old ones are always the best

I believe the link provided by Richard is accurate.

ashworth

Established Member
I wonder if Northern will do any good value promotional fares to celebrate the opening of Ilkeston Station. Perhaps if they do another Northern Day Rover with newspaper tokens they might include tokens in some newspapers further south than South Yorkshire. You can usually obtain the South Yorkshire newspapers in Chesterfield and they have also occasionally been available in The Worksop Guardian. However, for those of us who live south of Chesterfield, with our closest stations with services operated by Northern being from Nottingham, Langley Mill or Alfreton, only once about 4 years ago did they appear in The Nottingham Post.

I wonder if Northern will do any good value promotional fares to celebrate the opening of Ilkeston Station. Perhaps if they do another Northern Day Rover with newspaper tokens they might include tokens in some newspapers further south than South Yorkshire. You can usually obtain the South Yorkshire newspapers in Chesterfield and they have also occasionally been available in The Worksop Guardian. However, for those of us who live south of Chesterfield, with our closest stations with services operated by Northern being from Nottingham, Langley Mill or Alfreton, only once about 4 years ago did they appear in The Nottingham Post.

Need them in the Ilkeston Advertiser and Eastwood & Kimberley Advertiser. Both titles are printed in Dinnington South Yorkshire, and owned by Johnson Press who are based in Leeds..... potential is there.....

HowardGWR

Established Member
How can you tell a politician is lying ? - "their lips move".
the old ones are always the best

I believe the link provided by Richard is accurate.

Thanks to you and Richard. I was surprised about Gosport (1953).

Status
Not open for further replies.