• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any more news on Ilkeston station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There are at least half a dozen towns larger than Ilkeston which do not have a railway station.

Going off the last census figures, when the population of Ilkeston was 38,640:-

Gosport..............................82,622
Dudley...............................79,379
Newcastle-under-Lyme.........75,082
Washington.........................67.085
Leigh (Greater Manchester)...52,855
West Bridgford.....................45,509
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Perhaps Skelmersdale?

At the time of the last census, Ilkeston had a larger population than Skelmersdale

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Going off the last census figures, when the population of Ilkeston was 38,640:-

Gosport..............................82,622
Dudley...............................79,379
Newcastle-under-Lyme.........75,082
Washington.........................67.085
Leigh (Greater Manchester)...52,855
West Bridgford.....................45,509

Some of these are conurbation issues though. Dudley has DDP nearby, Newcastle is part of the Stoke conurbation, and West Bridgford is only not part of Nottingham due to the wacky boundary between city and county.

TC60054

I wonder if Northern will do any good value promotional fares to celebrate the opening of Ilkeston Station. Perhaps if they do another Northern Day Rover with newspaper tokens they might include tokens in some newspapers further south than South Yorkshire. You can usually obtain the South Yorkshire newspapers in Chesterfield and they have also occasionally been available in The Worksop Guardian. However, for those of us who live south of Chesterfield, with our closest stations with services operated by Northern being from Nottingham, Langley Mill or Alfreton, only once about 4 years ago did they appear in The Nottingham Post.

Only worth it if Ilkeston will have a ticket office, as the rangers cannot be bought on train.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Will there be a 'runabout' bus to compensate for the edge-of-town location of the new station, does anyone know?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Will there be a 'runabout' bus to compensate for the edge-of-town location of the new station, does anyone know?

That would smack far too much of integrated transport to work in the UK. And I suspect no more than a handful of people boarding/alighting each train would actually be heading to/from the centre of Ilkeston.

What Ashworth was mentioning was the Northern Day Ranger, which you need two tokens out of participating newspapers to purchase - these can only be purchased from a booking office, on the Northern network.

Ah fair enough - apologies - obviously must be complicated to do.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That would smack far too much of integrated transport to work in the UK. And I suspect no more than a handful of people boarding/alighting each train would actually be heading to/from the centre of Ilkeston.

Trent Barton 27 stops outside every half hour 6am-7pm weekdays. Just don't be surprised if you wait an hour for one...

HowardGWR

Established Member

Thanks. I did mention 'runabout' bus envisaging a useful connection to parts of Ilkeston. I do't know the area though (except through GE, or GM and GSV).

Where does the 27 go Mitch?

Last edited:
Went by yesterday & today. Footbridge open to public and linked to pavement. Nightmare traffic lights have vanished (thank you Lord - can we now have Awsworth Lane Rail Bridge open early as well please). The Platforms and Nottinghamshire car park rail signs are up. The Nottinghamshire car park appears nearly complete. I can't comment on the Derbyshire car park side yet as didn't get clear view. Can see no reason for 2nd April opening date not to be met :)

According to an item in todays Nottingham Post the Awsworth Lane Rail Bridge replacement that was supposed to be finished in late March is now due for completion in April :( . As a regular user of this road route I was praying for an earlier and not later completion date as it adds considerably to my bicycle trips!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54D0pY02b-g

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
15 mins to Nottingham. Is that competitive on weekdays? It looks competitive. Are they charging for car parking though?

Jordeh

15 mins to Nottingham. Is that competitive on weekdays? It looks competitive. Are they charging for car parking though?
Believe it's as quick as 11 mins on weekdays. And yes highly competitive, around 30 minutes to an hour during peak hours according to Google Maps.

Unsure on the car parking, unfortunately National Rail Enquiries website still needs updating.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Parking in Codnor, walking to the station and then the train will be competitive. To the centre of Nottingham takes ages.

There is a large car park just off Coronation Road between the Railway Bridge and the Coronation Road/Millership Way/Awsworth Bypass roundabout.

Think you might find the 9 mile walk from Codnor rather time consuming. Langley Mill Railway Station is much closer to Codnor.......

a_c_skinner

Established Member
IIRC there is an expression in Ilson that goes something like "all around Underwood to get to Codnor". Yes, I know where Codnor is and unless the drive into Nottingham up Ilkeston Rd has got a lot better than I recall it 30yrs ago the train will be very competitive. The car park will prove too small as will the trains.

robbeech

Established Member
Well I planned to visit today on its opening but alas I was rushed into hospital yesterday with more heart trouble (on going but a sudden deterioration) so it looks like Ilkeston will have to wait. Has anyone managed to get there today yet? I think there have been 2 trains so far.

dk1

Veteran Member
Well I planned to visit today on its opening but alas I was rushed into hospital yesterday with more heart trouble (on going but a sudden deterioration) so it looks like Ilkeston will have to wait. Has anyone managed to get there today yet? I think there have been 2 trains so far.

Oh that's not good. Hope you start feeling better mate.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Oh tha t's not good. Hope you start feeling better mate.

Seconded! I'm sure we all hope for good news in the next day or two.

Meanwhile, on the railway, the Derby ET here

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/mom...-new-station/story-30244051-detail/story.html

has someone who reckons Beeching himself came ooop north (well, it was for Richard) and personally ....

"When Dr Beeching famously shut down a third of the UK's railway stations in the 1960s, Pete Warner's father Frank worked as a porter at one of four that used to serve Ilkeston.

In fact, Beeching himself personally visited Ilkeston North and told Frank to his face that he was being made redundant."

I'm sure Mr Warner is not intentionally lying, but i suspect this was a story concocted round the pub table as a joke, and it has never since died - but perhaps it's true?

Another epic tale in the Indie

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/the-railway-station-that-refused-to-die-a7655896.html

So - any reports from yesterday as to what the loadings were like, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.