• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any News on the Class 47?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I understand Zane is working on a Class 47, but I'm not sure how far he is with it. Does anyone have any info? I really fancy driving a Class 47 in BVE4, as I saw the 47s out at the ELR today, and they sounded awsome. I thought to myself "I'd love to drive one!"...
Thanks, :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
Well if the sounds are good I'm sure it will be excellent.

Coxster

Established Member
A simple ten second trip to his WIP page says "Class 47 - No information yet". The homepage says:

Class 317 (Also found at trainsimcentral)
Class 20*
Class 47*
Class 90 (Also found at trainsimcentral)
MkII DBSO97*
Class 360 (Updating Paul Coopers Version)

Key:
* denotes what add-ons we're currently working on

Chris

Rich said:
Hi guys,
I understand Zane is working on a Class 47, but I'm not sure how far he is with it. Does anyone have any info? I really fancy driving a Class 47 in BVE4, as I saw the 47s out at the ELR today, and they sounded awsome. I thought to myself "I'd love to drive one!"...
Thanks, :p

Rich, were you not going crazy in another topic about people asking when projects are going to be complete, and now you are asking the same thing?:bigsmurf:

T

the slapper

hi

will 47306 ever be done again, this was the best sounding 47 ever for bve, imho!

many thanks

the slapper

Bill EWS

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your kind response. I am very impressed at the way you have taken my comments and backed Richard. Sorry I can't help in regard to data or programming of Routes but hope that Richard gains enough information to fix the signal problem at Naughton. The nearest I ever got to programming was doing 'Typos', way, way back when I had an Atari 800 XL computer, with the fantastic total memory of 48K. I used to load in the word processor and was left with enough memory to write and print just half an A4 page at a time, having to pass the paper through the dot-matrix printer twice to fill a page. I completed many 'typos', games and such and usually got them to work. It used to take ages to complete. only to find the printers of the computer magazine had printed the data wrong or missed out complete lines altogether. But it did give me some idea of what programming was all about.

N.B. 'Typo' didn't mean an 'error, back then. this was the term for typing in computer programming data from a written or printed page. It was long and ardous work. Today you woud simply scan the magazine page with an OCR programme and have it completed, and probably working first time, in moments.

I moved onto an Atari FM and STE before moving onto a PC. As great a leap as the STE was from the XL it still only had a maximum memory of 4mb, but I really enjoyed this computer and still have it on my PC as a simulation. My interest in computers was mainly for word processing and Desk Top Publishing for a quarterly Film Club magazine that I produce, and still do.

The Club is for people who Home Process Colour Transparency films (Slides and cine film). You can find my Colour Reversal Club web site at:
http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/keng/kenhtml/crcnew.htm/index.htm
Feel free to have a browse around the pages. The secure section isn't locked at present. It's not fully up to date at the moment but will get around to it eventually.

I also have a web site dedciated to my first Diesel Depot in 1963, Kittybrewster, Aberdeen. You can find this at:
http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/keng/kenhtml/Kittybrewster/Kittybrewster(Home).htm

You may know this corner of the U.K. It was the Great North Of Scotland before coming under the L.N.E.R. in 1928 and then the Scottish Region under B.R. from 1948. There were numerous branches plus the mainline From Aberdeen to Inverness, which back then had three different routes. The mainline via Keith and Mulben, as still remains today, Keith to Elgin via Dufftown and Craigellachie and a coastal route that went from Carnie Jct., just south of Keith, to Elgin via Tillynaught Jct. (For Banff) and along the coast via Portsoy, Cullen, Buckie and Spey Bay. Virtually all of it no longer exists and it is difficult to imagine that you could arrive in Aberdeen station and find three trains all waiting to go to Inverness, but via different routes.

Most of these services departed from the four 'north' bays, which is now a car park. There were also suburban services, north as far as Inverurie and west to Banchory on the Deeside line. These departed from the 'local' through platforms on the oppsite side of the station to the bays. The old booking office may become the headquarters for the Deeside Railkway Group. The Royal Deeside Ballater service departed from the south bays, next to Guild street good yard.

The main traction at Kittybrewster was the NBL Type 2's (Class 22's) with a mixture of (Today's classification) Class 20's, 26 & 27's 31's and Claytons, and Class 8's & 11's for shunting. Many of the passenger turns were worked by Swindon and Metro Cammel DMU's. One odditie was the two-car battery unit. It looked just like a DMU but ran on batteries. A very troubled machine that often failed with flat batteries and/or failed to tackle a gradiient and had to be rescued. I believe the Deeside Railway Society are refurbishing this unit at present. It was never really economical, as a DMU set and a driver always stood standby in case it failed.

The coaling stage was still in operation. Servicing steam locos from Ferryhill or depots further south. The overnight Euston-Aberdeen Postal coaches were turned on Kittybrewster turntable every morning, the A1 Pacific too. There was one steam freight worked by Kitty men, the 03.25 goods, which departed from Kittybrewster goods yard and went mainline to Elgin, but sometimes via Craigellachie. The return working was a diesel turn (2 x 22's + Mark 1's) the 6am Elgin to Aberdeen via the coast line. This was a lovely route to work over. With fine coastal views. The viaducts at Cullen still stand today and are well worth a visit. Keith to Elgin via Craigellachie was also a very picturesque route. You can visit parts of it today with the The Keith-Dufftown Railway. This was a whisky line, serving numerous distilleries along the route, as was the Old Meldrum branch.

The other branches we worked were, Dyce, Ellon, Peterhead and Fraserburgh, including the St Combes light railway. Another branch which closed to passengers in the 30's ran from Ellon to Boddam but was used as a long siding for storing wagons until the 60's. The ex Kintore to Alford, which lost its passenger services in the 50's and at that this time terminated at Kemny, for the granite quarries. The Inveruire to Old Meldrum and the ex Inveramsey to Macduff, which terminated at Turrif. A once or twice a week short freight, hauled by a Class 8 ran at this time and I was lucky to act as second man over these routes. The Tillynaught Jct to Banff remained steam hauled until closure in 1966.

The Kemny granite train was usually worked with a class 20.

Most of the locomotives, and DMU's were fitted with single-line token catchers, which on the Loco's were operated by the driver but on the units, by the train guard. The catcher was fitted to the guard's van door. However, the catchers were always failing and getting spares was near impossible therfore the secondman usually had to exchange the tokens with the signalman, by hand. I think management were well aware that these lines were going to close before long and didn't spend any money on uneccesary repairs. Besides, it kept the secondman in a job.

When built Kittybrewster Depot was also the main Loco works where many GNSR loco's were built, including the four very nice singel-deck eolectric trams that ran between Cruden Bay Station (On the Boddam branch) and Hotel. It was the most northerly electric tram service in the U.K. One of the trams has been fully preserved to exceptional standards and is on show at the Grampian Transport Museum, Alford (24 miles west of Aberdeen). Another must see.

As the GNSR Locoworks Kittybrewster was superceded by the Inverurie Loco works. Nothing remains of Kittybrewster Depot, station and yards but while Inveruire works closed at the same time, in 1966, the building still remains very much intact today and used as light industry units. It can be seen from the train when leaving Inverurie station towards Inverness.

As many of the BVE fraternity are young people, I hope that you find my photos of interest and they give you an idea of how most of our railways were prior to the Dr. Beeching cuts and present day privatisation. Whether you think they were better or worse is a debateable point. But while old buildings did become run down, the track and trackbed was kept to excellent standards right to the end. You never saw weeds on the tracks or overgrown banks and cuttings. Locomotives, steam and diesel ruled and D & E MU's were just for secondary services, not for long-haul passenger use. Back in the 50's and 60's if anyone told you that you would travel from Aberdeen to Penzance in what is no more than a modern day plastic and aluminium DMU, they would have never believed you.

The other Aberdeen Loco Depot was Ferryhill, which worked trains from the south and originally came under the North British and Caladonian railways. When Kittybrewster and all the above lines closed up staff who didn't move away moved to Ferryhill Depot. However, this was under a strict 'seniority' sttem and the younger you were the greater the chance that you were made redundant and had to find other work, or like myself, move to a depot where your seniority counted, which turned out to be 'Didcot', 500 miles away from home. The seniority date for drivers at that time was 1947. I, and dozens of others didn't stand a chance. A good 3,000 staff were made redundnat when these lines closed. Thanks to the hard work by the likes of the late Branch Secretary, Jock Sutherland, who went out of his way to assist staff find work, on the railway or otherwise, most eventually found employment.

With the closure of the railways many small towns and villages virtually became ghost towns as it affected more than just railway staff, shops and businesses that depended on the railway lost their livelyhoods and they closed down and moved out. It took nearly 20 years before these places picked themselves up again and today most of these places depend on tourism for much of their livelyhood but there is no doubt that the coming of North Sea Oil & Gas really lifted the area to new life and activities. Prior to this the main employment was either Farming, Sea Fishing, railway or the military forces.

Whatever, if you find this of interest perhaps later I could tell of some of the numerous routes, loco's etc that we worked on during my time at Didcot. Didcot had an exceptional amount of route knowledge and it was said that when the American astronoughts landed on the Moon, there was a set of Didcot men there waiting to relieve them!!! That's another story.

Regards.

Bill EWS.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The only thing the previous 47s lacked was the scream from the turbocharger which is quite noticable when a 47 is on full power, especially from inside the cab. It would also be nice if a 47, when done, has a number of different consists to reflect the many different workings they have performed in real life, anything from heavy freight, to freightliners, drags and thunderbirds, to mail and express passenger.

The Snap

Established Member
Chris said:
Rich, were you not going crazy in another topic about people asking when projects are going to be complete, and now you are asking the same thing?:bigsmurf:
No? :confused: ;) It doesn't actually bother me when people ask me when any of MY project will be ready. However, I can't speek for anyone else, and I know it get's on their nerves. However, I don't think my first post in this topic was anything like when it will be ready, I just asked how it was coming along. ;) (Why is everyone picking on me today?:mad::()

richa2002

Established Member
ChrisCooper said:
The only thing the previous 47s lacked was the scream from the turbocharger which is quite noticable when a 47 is on full power, especially from inside the cab. It would also be nice if a 47, when done, has a number of different consists to reflect the many different workings they have performed in real life, anything from heavy freight, to freightliners, drags and thunderbirds, to mail and express passenger.
I agree with Chris. For anyone who doesn't know what he's on about, have a listen to this sound clip recorded from the 2nd man's window on a 47.
http://www.rich.mjspencer.com/47_turbo.wav

Chris

Rich said:
No? :confused: ;) It doesn't actually bother me when people ask me when any of MY project will be ready. However, I can't speek for anyone else, and I know it get's on their nerves. However, I don't think my first post in this topic was anything like when it will be ready, I just asked how it was coming along. ;) (Why is everyone picking on me today?:mad::()

Ok theres no problem :angel11:

Boeing-Pilot

Hi Guys,

Nice to see poeple are still interested in my work - and yes the Class 47 is going quite well. If you check my site now I've uploaded a cabshot and sound clip.

Please remember is completely work in progress and when released may sound completely different. Also the sounds were put together through a sound editing program and not recorded striaght from the simulator.

Thanks for enquiring.

Zane Andrew Saxton

The Snap

Established Member
Boeing-Pilot said:
Hi Guys,

Nice to see poeple are still interested in my work - and yes the Class 47 is going quite well. If you check my site now I've uploaded a cabshot and sound clip.

Please remember is completely work in progress and when released may sound completely different. Also the sounds were put together through a sound editing program and not recorded striaght from the simulator.

Thanks for enquiring.

Zane Andrew Saxton

Thanks for the reply Zane! :D Lovely shot, and sound!

The Snap

Established Member
Yes, the noise of the 47 starting to move off is great, really realistic, and if it is only a starter, then it will be even better once complete. Will all your train projects be on TSC Zane? :)

Julian G

Established Member
I can't wait to thrash that 317 :)
it will remind me of cl317723 "Tottenham Flyer" :D

richa2002

Established Member
Boeing-Pilot said:
No more comments?
You've asked for comments so I will do. I hope you don't mind me being honest. The principal of your idea is good but the fact it keeps going back to the idle sound isn't the most realistic. Apart from that, it sounds great!

Boeing-Pilot

As I said, its not complete. Plus the sounds on that clip was put together through a sound recording program and wasnt recorded from the simulator.

So basically I had the loop sounds then popped the other motor sounds in on top.

The train isn't drivable yet.

(And yes most of the trains will probably be on trainsimcentral as far as I know at the moment.)

Thanks for comments though, keep em' coming.

richa2002

Established Member
Great to hear Zane. I look forward to thrashing the 47 down Maybank ;)

The Snap

Established Member
Boeing-Pilot said:
As I said, its not complete. Plus the sounds on that clip was put together through a sound recording program and wasnt recorded from the simulator.

So basically I had the loop sounds then popped the other motor sounds in on top.

The train isn't drivable yet.

(And yes most of the trains will probably be on trainsimcentral as far as I know at the moment.)

Thanks for comments though, keep em' coming.

Well I thought it sounded realistic! :D Anyway, great work Zane, keep it up.
I too look forward to driving it on Maybank, or indeed Richwell in the future. :D Oh, and Zane, I don't suppose your routes will be on TSC too will they?

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I'm looking forward to thrashing it up the MML on the 17:30 St Pancras to Sheffield.
If you do decide to include multiple consists, which I hope you do, BVE 4 allows a great way to do this from the route file without duplicating lots of file. You can place the ats, panel, sound and plugin cfg files, along with the train.dat and plugin dll in a higher up folder, then set the panel2 and sound cfg files to look in the folder below using ..\ ahead of the file paths. To load a particular consist the route author just needs to specify the correct folder, e.g Class47/7xMk2s, and add a further ..\ ahead of the path for the timetable.

Boeing-Pilot

ChrisCooper said:
I'm looking forward to thrashing it up the MML on the 17:30 St Pancras to Sheffield.
If you do decide to include multiple consists, which I hope you do, BVE 4 allows a great way to do this from the route file without duplicating lots of file. You can place the ats, panel, sound and plugin cfg files, along with the train.dat and plugin dll in a higher up folder, then set the panel2 and sound cfg files to look in the folder below using ..\ ahead of the file paths. To load a particular consist the route author just needs to specify the correct folder, e.g Class47/7xMk2s, and add a further ..\ ahead of the path for the timetable.

Good idea, all I'm going to say there will be 1 or 2 little supprises with this 47 so keep checking the site and forums. Judging by the way things are going this will likely be the next release.

Not sure weather to show you one supprise or wait till the release...

Kind Regards,

The Snap

Established Member
Boeing-Pilot said:
Good idea, all I'm going to say there will be 1 or 2 little supprises with this 47 so keep checking the site and forums. Judging by the way things are going this will likely be the next release.

Not sure weather to show you one supprise or wait till the release...

Kind Regards,

Go on, show us! :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.