• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any Plans to Remodel Wakefield Kirkgate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We've read a lot about the redevelopment of passenger facilities at Wakefield Kirkgate. I was wondering whether there were any plans to remodel the track layout for the station, particularly with regard to making platform 3 a proper loop accessible from Normanton.

Bearing in mind, the current layout was designed for a couple of pay-trains an hour and a few freights, there are now three trains an hour each way between Leeds and Sheffield, one between Wakefield and Huddersfield, the terminator from Knottingley and Grand Central. Wouldn't it make sense to have three reversible platforms with 2 and 3 interchangeable between Normanton and Pontefract trains ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
We've read a lot about the redevelopment of passenger facilities at Wakefield Kirkgate. I was wondering whether there were any plans to remodel the track layout for the station, particularly with regard to making platform 3 a proper loop accessible from Normanton.

Bearing in mind, the current layout was designed for a couple of pay-trains an hour and a few freights, there are now three trains an hour each way between Leeds and Sheffield, one between Wakefield and Huddersfield, the terminator from Knottingley and Grand Central. Wouldn't it make sense to have three reversible platforms with 2 and 3 interchangeable between Normanton and Pontefract trains ?

If it does come it will come in the next control period as i believe they are wanting to include layout changes and speed improvements in the horbury junction and kirkgate area.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If it does come it will come in the next control period as i believe they are wanting to include layout changes and speed improvements in the horbury junction and kirkgate area.

That would be a good time to do it. It doesn't look as though the layout at Kirkgate has changed for some time.

MattRobinson

There are plans to remodel Wakefield Westgate too, which might have an effect on Kirkgate. Can't imagine it'll be a major change though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There are plans to remodel Wakefield Westgate too, which might have an effect on Kirkgate. Can't imagine it'll be a major change though.

I think it's for more platforms so that more trains can terminate there.

KingBBoogaloo

The next big change will be eliminating Horbury Junction. The plan is everything will be sorted out at Kirkgate and two pairs of lines will run parallel from there to Horbury where they will go there separate ways.

How this will effect the layout at Kirkgate I don't know.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The next big change will be eliminating Horbury Junction. The plan is everything will be sorted out at Kirkgate and two pairs of lines will run parallel from there to Horbury where they will go there separate ways.

How this will effect the layout at Kirkgate I don't know.

I guess that'll be the deathknell for the rather splendid signal box at Horbury Jnc.

MattRobinson

I think it's for more platforms so that more trains can terminate there.

My understanding was they're moving it and adding a platform for the Huddersfield train. Just saying that this change may have a knock on effect on Kirkgate? Due to alignment issues, etc?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

9K43

Kirkgate Station was last renewed in the spring of 1981.
At this time I had just passed out as a Passenger guard.
On Number 1 platform was a pilot man taking the DMU's for Huddersfied to X over at Turners Lane.
These Pilot men were signal men.
Number one Platform is permissive and big enough to take quite a few slu's coming in on the sub at the Western end on this platform.
You can also turn an 18 SLUs train in clear weather only by proppeling from Turners Lane junction to Calder bridge junction.
This location was my stomping ground from Healey Mills for 27.5 years and Have spent many hours RR trains in Calder Loop to go into Cobra Sidings, before this siding shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.