• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any Questions Answered (LUL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

We've been thinking about this for a while and have decided that an any questions answered thread for LUL would be good, and so, here it is! You can ask a question, and anyone can answer, however, we may come up with a definitive answer quite quickly!

If anyone wants to start up an Any Questions Answered thread for another metro, feel free! :)

Note, if you want, you can start up your own thread with a LUL question, we don't mind!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

One of the Central Line prototype units can be found in the LTM Depot at Acton, not sure about the others, anyone else have any ideas.

T

Tom

Well, to be honest, it's Charles Tyson Yerkes decision, as he was the original person to run this through, but to my understanding... on the normal 3rd rail system, the running rails are used as rails to run back excess power through, and the 3rd rail is the pickup. AFAIK, the 4th rail is used for the excess power rather than the running rails.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I thought it was something do with the tunnels being underground (obviously) and being damp/wet so it helps to stop corossion or something? :?

Guinness

Established Member
If the LU was 3rd Rail the rest of the power would go through the normal rails and make the tunnels live.

Met Driver

Established Member
If LU was converted to 3rd rail operation, the track circuits which control the signalling and other equipment would become useless, and would need to be re-designed. The central, 4th rail, is the negative rail. The 3rd rail is positive. The former is charged at 420 VDC, the latter at -210 VDC.

Chaz said:
What happened to the Central Line Prototypes?

The only remaining prototype (green), as TC says, is at Acton. The others were scrapped.

jonb

Established Member
Right any engineering works this weekend (23rd July) on the Waterloo & City or Central Lines?

Many Thanks

T

Tom

DISTRICT LINE: All weekend, no service between Earl's Court and Kensington Olympia.
Journey times may be increased by up to 20 minutes.
BAKERLOO LINE: On Sunday, no service between Queen's Park and Harrow & Wealdstone. In addition there will be no SILVERLINK METRO service between Euston and Watford Junction. Three replacement bus services will operate as follows:
SERVICE A: Queen's Park-Harrow & Wealdstone calling at all stations.
SERVICE B: Queen's Park-Wembley Central calling at all stations.
SERVICE C: Harrow & Wealdstone-Watford Junction calling at all stations.
In addition, Silverlink trains will call at Queen's Park and Wembley Central.
London Underground tickets will be accepted on local bus services for connections with other lines.
Journey times may be increased by up to 50 minutes.
CHILTERN RAILWAYS: On Sunday, there will be no service between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Marylebone, and a reduced service between Amersham and Harrow-on-the-Hill. Chiltern services will not stop at Chalfont & Latimer, Chorleywood and Rickmansworth- please use Metropolitan Line for these stations and Central London.

So, in short, no.

T

Tom

Yes, it does run from Harrow & Wealdstone all the way to Elephant & Castle.

1 in 3 trains I believe run all the way from E&C to H&W.

jd

Some also terminate at Stonebridge Park afk. I did that route with the old BVE 2 route - is that no longer available?

jd

DLR - Not strictly LUL but never mind eh?

The current repainting, does it also involve any interior work and/or refurbishing? Also, when is it due to be/when was it completed?

T

Tom

Middle of 2007 I believe.

It involves a slight refurbishment inside the units, with, I believe new seat moquettes and new PIDs inside the units.

Jim

Established Member
Is there any paticular place where I am likely to get a D stock refurb?

Met Driver

Established Member
Jim said:
Is there any paticular place where I am likely to get a D stock refurb?

You could get one anywhere now, as there's quite a few of them in service. Your best bet is to spend a bit of time at ECT - you're bound to see at least one.

Julian G

Established Member
Why do I see 1972TS on the Victoria line?
I always look at the door and it always says "1972"
Oh and why is the front of this is painted in white?
?

T

Tom

The front of this unit is painted in white to remind couplers that the end of the unit has not been refurbished to the cab refurbishment standards. :)

T

Tom

Julian G said:
Why do I see 1972TS on the Victoria line?
Oh and why is the front of this is painted in white?
?

For the 1972 issue, I believe its because a lot of spares were "nicked" from 72TS Mk1 units

Met Driver

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Julian G said:
For the 1972 issue, I believe its because a lot of spares were "nicked" from 72TS Mk1 units

Julian - if you sit in one of the driving motor cars you'll see that it says 1967 (I think the reason TC gives is correct FWIW).

Tom B

Established Member
Lots of interior DMs and Ts are actually 72 Mk1 TS. When withdrawn from the NL they replaced interior 67ts DMs which would go to the outside of new trains (the interior DMs/Ts from those trains being comprised of 72Mk1 TS) This meant more trains could be created without needing to fit ATO equipment to the 72TS. Something along those lines anyway ;).

Met Driver

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Lots of interior DMs and Ts are actually 72 Mk1 TS. When withdrawn from the NL they replaced interior 67ts DMs which would go to the outside of new trains (the interior DMs/Ts from those trains being comprised of 72Mk1 TS) This meant more trains could be created without needing to fit ATO equipment to the 72TS. Something along those lines anyway ;).

Spot on - the DM visible in that image is also a 72, but how can you tell? (Quick quiz ;))

Julian G

Established Member
Seth said:
You could get one anywhere now, as there's quite a few of them in service. Your best bet is to spend a bit of time at ECT - you're bound to see at least one.
i saw two Refurb D-stock at Ravenscourt Park in under 5mins
IN total that makes--> 5 Refurb D-stocks seen today :)

Status
Not open for further replies.