Any rail replacement bus drivers here?

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by notadriver, 9 Nov 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notadriver

notadriver Established Member

Just wondering if anyone drives the rail replacement buses? Ill be doing one myself in the near future.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

Did it once. Got lost, thanks to a controller back at the depot trying to be helpful and giving me an alternative route.

My trusty steed refused to engage reverse at the previous station, leading to me grinding to a halt midway through a three point turn on the forecourt. Eventually some SWT managers pushed and we got some backwards motion. The next stop was in the middle of nowhere and also needed some shunting around, I didn't fancy getting stuck so got on the radio, but rather then send me another motor I was given some, ahem, 'directions' :| "Straight under the viaduct, not left?".... "Yes". Actually no, it was left. And so we had an entertining quarter of an hour or so bouncing through some country lanes in a low floor bus with no reverse, waiting to get wedged somewhere or for the inevitable tractor to come the other way; thankfully all I got was a couple of locals in 4x4s looking very surprised to see me coming towards them! I think it was probably the only time country sorts in 4x4s have moved out of somebody else's way :D

Last edited: 10 Nov 2012
  4. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

Done a few times certainly had it easy, just between Swansea and Cardiff. That said I have had problems when trying to find a stop near Pontyclun statiion.

Did have fun trying to squeeze a large coach down a narrow road which was nerve racking for me since I wasnt really to used to driving large coaches having only driving darts and solo's

5. notadriver

Great to hear from you guys. I'm doing one on a route I'm familiar with. I haven't driven since July. Really looking forward to it:)

6. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

Good luck! I haven't driven for a couple of years now, and even then it was just a couple of hours. Would love to get back in the seat, but railway overtime pays a lot better then bus driving overtime sadly! :| :roll:

What's your motor likely to be?

7. notadriver

It's a lovely Setra coach on an 06 plate. Has an Astronic auto box. The pay won't match what I usually get but I wanted the driving experience. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.